Holverson designs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lipp

Reaction score
I was wandering if anybody has bought one of these kits???? I don't like the fact that the rocket was already built.. I guess I should have asked before i bought the kit. learn from doing i guess...

I've flown several of them. Which one did you get? I've flown the Zoomie, which was usually disappointing except for one time when it hit a telephone line and another when it flew into the top of a tree and bounced it's way down through the branches, the Tangent, which was cool until the shock cord broke and the nose cone floated away, and the Wicked Winnie, which was one of my favorites on a small field. (You could plug a C6-5 in it and not worry if it came back or not.) I'd like to build a balsa Tangent. It's a sharp looking design and kind of Big Bertha-esque from a size standpoint.

I got the wicked winnie, and the silver hawk boost glider. I not to sure about the styrofoam... I havn't launched either one yet. sounds like i'm in for a treat.... WAHOOO!!!

Holverson is out of business now. I built the Tangent. nothing special. Shock cord was way to long! Kept getting tangled up with the chute till I cut it! I use it to see how the wind is befor I launch a big rocket. Don't care if I lose it!:D

can you beleive that the wicked winnie is a skill level 3 kit???? the thing is already built. whats up with that???

Originally posted by lipp
can you beleive that the wicked winnie is a skill level 3 kit???? the thing is already built. whats up with that???

I think the skill levels were assigned before Doug made the disastrous switch from balsa to "cheesy foam". At the price that I paid, I consider these "fire and forget" rockets.

I've only lost one rocket in my career. I guess i might as well chalk up a couple more now more than likely...

you did not specify what you bought, but be aware:

His good kits were made with balsa wood fins and wings. They flew.

The "Fun Rockets" version of the kits used foam and they do not fly well. As a matter of fact, I can state without fear of being sued that they OFTEN loop and crash while still under power. Have a fire extinguisher handy (or a Super Big Gulp).

Originally posted by lipp
I was wandering if anybody has bought one of these kits???? I don't like the fact that the rocket was already built.. I guess I should have asked before i bought the kit. learn from doing i guess...

I own a copy of each Fun Rocket, and I have had some success with the Wicked Winnie. The nose cone on the payload needs to be secured with tape before launch, but other than that, it flies fine. My Zoomie boosted fine, but instead of gliding back, it sort of fluttered. And yes, I did use the ¼A3-3T. The Swinger I've been scared to fly. The tail boom was warped when I got it, but I bought it for practically nothing, so I never turned it. The actual Holverson Design Tangent is a fine rocket and would recommend it to anyone. Build is easy, NC is a little oversized, but flies nice.

Originally posted by TheRadiator
I own a copy of each Fun Rocket, and I have had some success with the Wicked Winnie. The nose cone on the payload needs to be secured with tape before launch, but other than that, it flies fine. My Zoomie boosted fine, but instead of gliding back, it sort of fluttered. And yes, I did use the ¼A3-3T. The Swinger I've been scared to fly. The tail boom was warped when I got it, but I bought it for practically nothing, so I never turned it. The actual Holverson Design Tangent is a fine rocket and would recommend it to anyone. Build is easy, NC is a little oversized, but flies nice.

Fear the foam Swinger of Death! I have owned 2. The first made it off the ground in ugly fashion. I thought it was going to rip apart on boost. It twirled and thrashed to about 150ft if that. The wings failed to extend fully to which it crashed and re-kitted itself. Swinger #2 at least made 2 attempts. On the first, it boosted much like the 1st - very ugly and enough to scare the pants off of any spectator. It didn't glide despite it's test tosses. Instead, it came in head first and tore the foam cone off. Ok, so I repair that and tried again. Flight number 2 on kit 2 was even worse. It got stuck on the pad while burning the motor. The launch lug managed to tear away releasing the rocket/glider. It proceed to hit the ground and re-kit itself too. :(

My son has a Tangent, and it flies great. It is the balsa version. I also have the foam swinger, but have not flown it. After looking it, and trying a glide test resulting in a smashed nosecone I have decide this thing is not going to fly. I hope he is able to come back with the balsa versions again. Those were nice rockets. Larry

Originally posted by eugenefl
Fear the foam Swinger of Death! I have owned 2. The first made it off the ground in ugly fashion. I thought it was going to rip apart on boost. It twirled and thrashed to about 150ft if that. The wings failed to extend fully to which it crashed and re-kitted itself. Swinger #2 at least made 2 attempts. On the first, it boosted much like the 1st - very ugly and enough to scare the pants off of any spectator. It didn't glide despite it's test tosses. Instead, it came in head first and tore the foam cone off. Ok, so I repair that and tried again. Flight number 2 on kit 2 was even worse. It got stuck on the pad while burning the motor. The launch lug managed to tear away releasing the rocket/glider. It proceed to hit the ground and re-kit itself too. :(

LOL!!

Back