Holverson boost gliders

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore Check

Reaction score
I just received my first Holverson kit from JonRocket yesterday. Then I got to looking around for reviews (after the fact) and I can't find any.

I'm usually not meticulous enough to document a build - thus being able to write a good, detailed review - but I was wondering who has bought/built any of their balsa kits?

I got the Ecee Thunder kit. I haven't opened the package yet, but just what you get looks stunning.

This kit as 99% balsa. In the package, there are 7 sheets of balsa stacked together in what looks like a solid block of balsa 18" long, 4" wide, and 2" thick :)eek: ) Four of those 7 sheets are 1/4" thick! There are also 2 x 24" long, 4" wide sheets of 1/8" balsa. And all of this balsa has been laser cut! There's also a BT50 size stage coupler/plug piston thingy to activate the elevators at ejection. The only non balsa parts in the bag (as far as I can tell) are a 24" long BT50 with a 1/4" vent hole near one end, the launch lug, a 2" wide vinyl adhesive strip for the elevators, and the instructions.

Has anyone out there built one? The only Edmonds kit I've seen fly was a Deltee Thunder at NSL - and it's a completely different bird.

I'll give the folks at Holverson one thing - just looking at a packaged crammed with that much wood, knowing that I'm gonna stick a D12-3 in it, has me excited!

uhm, the Ecee Thunder is an Edmond's kit:

CLICK HERE

Are you sure it was listed as Holverson?

Here are all the Holverson reviews on EMRR:

CLICK HERE

Nick

Well, duh.....

No wonder I couldn't find it. Brain cramp....

*&*#$^*#?"":!

For one brief moment I thought I had sent you the wrong kit. Then I realized that you must be having a "brain cramp".

John Arthur

www.JonRocket.com

Fore Check,

When I get 'em I call it a "Brain Fart".:D

sandman

back on topic... I built an Ecee Thunder. it is an awesome kit. mine boosted straight up, popped, and came straight down. wasn't just re-kitted, it was completely splintered. in to the trash it went. waaaahhhh!!!

that said, I've seen 3 other Ecee Thunders flying and flying well. I have no idea what the secret is. good luck with yours!

No secret, just luck.

Some Estes motors have just too much ejection charge.

I've had 4 succeses on my 13mm version and one ejected motor.

Not sure about the big one but the little one calls for taping the motor in place. I made a light weight motor hook from piano wire that "usually" works.

sandman

Sooo.... where did you find a BALSA Holverson Design rocket kit? They used to be Balsa, but a few years ago, they switched to foam parts. This was a bad idea, and pretty much spelled the doom of the company.

The Balsa based kits are pretty good!!

Fred

Originally posted by astronboy
Sooo.... where did you find a BALSA Holverson Design rocket kit? They used to be Balsa, but a few years ago, they switched to foam parts. This was a bad idea, and pretty much spelled the doom of the company.

The Balsa based kits are pretty good!!

Fred

No kidding. I wish my Swinger was balsa. The foam one makes a great yard toss glider. (Really flies great playing with it in the yard.) Put a motor in it and it's a whole 'nother beast. Flame + foam = doesn't quite work right.

Originally posted by Fore Check
I'm usually not meticulous enough to document a build - thus being able to write a good, detailed review -

Aw, c'mon, it's not that hard! Start by taking some pics of the, parts, write a bit describing them, and say what you think. You can't get that wrong, because it's what _you_ think of them that matters. Next take a pic after you complete each step. Make a note of anything that was hard, easy, interesting, or otherwise noteworthy. Once you're done, write your overall impression of the kit, easy, hard, value for money, etc. Try it, you'll like it.

This kit as 99% balsa. In the package, there are 7 sheets of balsa stacked together in what looks like a solid block of balsa 18" long, 4" wide, and 2" thick :)eek: ) Four of those 7 sheets are 1/4" thick! There are also 2 x 24" long, 4" wide sheets of 1/8" balsa. And all of this balsa has been laser cut! There's also a BT50 size stage coupler/plug piston thingy to activate the elevators at ejection. The only non balsa parts in the bag (as far as I can tell) are a 24" long BT50 with a 1/4" vent hole near one end, the launch lug, a 2" wide vinyl adhesive strip for the elevators, and the instructions.

See? Thats the first third of the write-up done ;-)

eugenefl: In your opinion, is it worth buying one of those discounted kits, and tracing the foam shapes onto balsa to build a 'real' rocket.... using the foam as patterns?

Fred

Originally posted by astronboy
eugenefl: In your opinion, is it worth buying one of those discounted kits, and tracing the foam shapes onto balsa to build a 'real' rocket.... using the foam as patterns?

Fred

Fred, you read my mind. I was actually thinking of doing that with mine before attempting to fly it again. Hang tight. Maybe we can experiment. Since the balsa version is OOP, I guess I could trace, scan, and post the drawings. It'd be worth a shot.

For those of you interested in the Holverson balsa kits, I have it on good authority (Doug's Mom) that it shouldn't be toooo much longer.

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.JonRocket.com

That is great news!! I had heard that Doug was working on prototypes, but did not know how far along he has gotten...

Fred

Originally posted by Juaru
For those of you interested in the Holverson balsa kits, I have it on good authority (Doug's Mom) that it shouldn't be toooo much longer.

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.JonRocket.com

Drrrrooool! I'm all over a Holverson Swinger....in Balsa!!! :D

Back