Holding lose nose weight in place

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrox

Reaction score
Gorilla Glue is the best thing I have found for holding lose nose weight in place. It is thick, expands to a foam about 4 to 5 times it size, and drys within two hours. It will expend to fill in around things like buck shot or a lead weight. Don't use too much, put a drop on a piece of scrap to see how much it is going to foam up. Gorilla Glue, it has a gorilla on the label, I got it at Ace. It is very strong, I use it to glue my street luges together before bolting them together.

its kinda expensive though. Once I was at Rocket Depot and saw a little girl get a big bottle of the stuff and silently slip it into her mom's cart... When they were in the checkout line and the guy was grabbing up and scanning up the items :eek:

:D

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
its kinda expensive though. Once I was at Rocket Depot and saw a little girl get a big bottle of the stuff and silently slip it into her mom's cart... When they were in the checkout line and the guy was grabbing up and scanning up the items :eek:

:D
Well. it works, you don't use a lot of it, probably worth three equivalent bottles of wood glue and alot stronger.

Yeah, I'll have to try it sometime. I never thought about how long it would last, but yeah it would foam up alot.

I swear... one of these days I will learn to read the instructions....

It's great and I'm learning when and where to use it...

But that first time... without knowing what happens... well let's just say that it took a while to cut and sand the stuff down... It did foam up and like Shrox said... man it expands... like a bat out of ...."whatever"...

I use Elmers Ultimate Glue for my Polyurethane adhesion. It's got many of the same properties, but it doesn't foam up as much - only about 2-3 times its original volume, and it does go back down some. It's also very hard to sand/carve down, though.

WW

Originally posted by shrox
Gorilla Glue is the best thing I have found for holding lose nose weight in place. It is thick, expands to a foam about 4 to 5 times it size, and drys within two hours. It will expend to fill in around things like buck shot or a lead weight. Don't use too much, put a drop on a piece of scrap to see how much it is going to foam up. Gorilla Glue, it has a gorilla on the label, I got it at Ace. It is very strong, I use it to glue my street luges together before bolting them together.

Yep, same here. I like to use it around cluster mounts too. Adds "structure" as it foams.

FWIW, PML 2-part foam is the exact same stuff except it has a MUCH greater expansion rate (up to 25x liquid volume) & MUCH faster cure time (less than 15 minutes).

I have used both with fantastic success, however, it all comes down to how big the project is & how quickly you need to have it held in place ;)

Here is the technique I use on some of the nose cones I make.

Drill an appropriate size hole into the center of the cone (from the back, please!:D ) Like for a 2.6" cone I'll drill a 1" hole about 3 or 4 inches deep.

I then include a 1" legth of 1" diameter hardwood dowel with a screw eye attached (so you can pull it out if you stich it in too far).

Then you can add your nose weight with some glue and glue in the hardwood plug.

If you use lead completely encase it so you don't get yelled at for using a toxic metal.

Gorrilla glue takes about an hour to set up and works pretty good.

sandman

My 1.5 cents...

I have had about the same experience with the polyurethane glues as the rest of you. I find them less messy than foam and they lock things in place without fully filling the spaces. I have seen many failures where the strength of the glue joint (carpenter's glue, poly, and epoxy) exceeded the materials. Especially in cardboard tubes.

Latest posts

Back