Hobbyking sale - 180mAh Lipos - perfect for Strataloggers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just in case you are in the market:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-180mah-2s-25-40c-lipo-pack-5pcs.html

On sale for $13.20. You need to bump the amount up a bit to make shipping reasonable. They are having a sale on nearly everything so easy to find more stuff to add. And even if you only buy a five pack with shipping that works out to $4 a battery, use twice and as cheap as a 9 volt with better reliability in my mind.

Tony

These are what I normally use to power my Ravens. I use the 120mAh variant for pyro drive as they are a little smaller and lighter.

So you use just a single 120 maH Lipo for the Raven? 1S or 2S, care to share a link?

These work great for Eggtimer Classics and Quarks, and you can use them in other Eggtimer products too (including the trackers) if you keep an eye on the "on time".

Tony-thanks for the "heads up," I use the 2s 180 mAh ones for stratologgers and missile works. Their 1s 150 mAh are good for magnetic switches in addition.

Fred, L2

Tony-thanks for the "heads up," I use the 2s 180 mAh ones for stratologgers and missile works. Their 1s 150 mAh are good for magnetic switches in addition.

Fred, L2

Fred, just one flight between charges? Thinking of converting my 9V stuff to Lipo this year.

So you use just a single 120 maH Lipo for the Raven? 1S or 2S, care to share a link?
180mAh for power, 120mAh for each pyro.

sled1.jpg sled2.jpg

The config shown has two entirely separate altimeters, one for primary and one for secondary charge. Main deployment only. Thus only one pyro battery per altimeter. Two entirely independent systems.

In an earlier configuration I blew the NC off at apogee with the same electronics, thus the provision for extra batteries that are not in attendance in the shown configuration. Currently I have a Telemega in the NC for that task.
Link here: https://forum.ausrocketry.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1782&start=66

Long time. I might recharge them after 3 or 4 flights. Just check voltage before each flight. I recharge when voltage drops below 7.0 volts.

Pick up one of these on eBay or elsewhere- super easy, and gives you an instantaneous readout of the remaining power https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Ba...524376&hash=item41ceb37eea:g:DIoAAOSwZ~lZr6IW

I got mine a few years ago for ~$3, and have found it very reliable. Shopping around will give you better prices, it's just the first one I saw tonight that looked like mine!

Hi Ryan,

I check voltage output, similar to timbucktoo's comment, after each flight and I've found them good for at least 3 flights without recharging (depends on "wait" time on launch pad per flight). At these low prices, they may be cheaper than the better 9 volt batteries. The only caveats are: don't accidentally short the output leads-can easily cause a heat build up and possible fire, if the lipo significantly remains swollen do not reuse and lipo "normal" swelling by about 10% can occur during use. So, when placing on AV bay sleds, allow a little room to compensate for this transient swelling which may occur during flight but usually resolves after use. Ryan get a good 2s charger so that you can charge at least 3 simultaneously and follow the LCD readouts of changes in current & voltage in each battery. I use the Turnigy P606 AC/DC charger that can charge six 1S, or three 2s, or two 3s, or one 6s lipo. This was purchased from Hobby King. I'm quite sure others will recommend similar or better chargers at competitive prices. I think once you get the hang of lipo use, you'll rarely go back to 9 volt batteries.

Fred,L2
member ICBM,
Camden, S.C.
KG4YGP

One further comment-each manufacturer has different style charging ports (e.g. JST, MCX etc). So its important to make sure your lipo charger is compatible with your lipo's charging port. If there is incompatibility, you can make a hybrid cable or check Hobby King and Batteries America for pre-existing ones. Also, BatteriesAmerica will make a cable up for you-just email them pictures of the hybrid cable components illustrating what you desire and don't forget the follow up phone call.

Fred

Hi Ryan,

I check voltage output, similar to timbucktoo's comment, after each flight and I've found them good for at least 3 flights without recharging (depends on "wait" time on launch pad per flight). At these low prices, they may be cheaper than the better 9 volt batteries. The only caveats are: don't accidentally short the output leads-can easily cause a heat build up and possible fire, if the lipo significantly remains swollen do not reuse and lipo "normal" swelling by about 10% can occur during use. So, when placing on AV bay sleds, allow a little room to compensate for this transient swelling which may occur during flight but usually resolves after use. Ryan get a good 2s charger so that you can charge at least 3 simultaneously and follow the LCD readouts of changes in current & voltage in each battery. I use the Turnigy P606 AC/DC charger that can charge six 1S, or three 2s, or two 3s, or one 6s lipo. This was purchased from Hobby King. I'm quite sure others will recommend similar or better chargers at competitive prices. I think once you get the hang of lipo use, you'll rarely go back to 9 volt batteries.

Fred,L2
member ICBM,
Camden, S.C.
KG4YGP

Thanks Fred, I have a lot of lipo experience with my RC activities, just get a little apprehensive with Missileworks' warnings to make sure your chosen lipo doesn't pump too many amps through the circuit when firing the charges. Fear of letting electronics smoke out kept me flying 9V last year.

I also suppose I could simply rig my avbay with the batteries, turn it on and let it sit 45 minutes, then hit it with a shop vac and fire charges, then charge the batts again to see how many mah they used.

180mAh for power, 120mAh for each pyro.

The config shown has two entirely separate altimeters, one for primary and one for secondary charge. Main deployment only. Thus only one pyro battery per altimeter. Two entirely independent systems.

In an earlier configuration I blew the NC off at apogee with the same electronics, thus the provision for extra batteries that are not in attendance in the shown configuration. Currently I have a Telemega in the NC for that task.
Link here: https://forum.ausrocketry.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1782&start=66

Thanks!

Back