Hobby Lobby

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't really give a hoot for the rocket but the BT65 caught my eye. I googled it and this was all I found:

Semroc Clear Body Tube BT-65 12.0" Long . Diameter 1.737" Thickness: 0.031" Length: 12.0"

So I wonder if the outside diameter would be right for a standard paper body tube.

-BOb

The Olympus and Green Eggs models use many of the same parts.

The Green Eggs kit uses a 24mm motor mount and that is what the Olympus appears to use.

So, no 29mm Estes E16 & F15 motors at Hobby Lobby.

8AE7C2BB-F945-4CC2-AB67-586B8FF93C5A.jpeg Another Hobby Lobby exclusive has surfaced - the Vapor. Posted by an Estes FB fan page member. 24mm powered, BT-60, 45” long with two sets of decals - one for each face card scheme. I asked the original poster if the decals are water slide or peel and stick but he hadn’t opened the package so didn’t know.

With this, ESAM, and the Olympus I guess HL thinks size matters
chuckle.gif

I want to sim (and build) the Vapor kit To do it, I need scans of the instructions and (with a ruler for scale) the fins and the decals.

I also need the thickness of the fins, as well as the body tube lengths, the size of the parachute, and the length of the launch lug.

I also need info on the nosecone... It looks different from anything I recognize.

Thanks

Last edited:
Of course related to Mugs' comment, I'm wondering how many come to a box and if they could be sent to my school here in China.... I'd love to teach a class on this, and it'd be great to have a case of the Vapors.

Of course related to Mugs' comment, I'm wondering how many come to a box and if they could be sent to my school here in China.... I'd love to teach a class on this, and it'd be great to have a case of the Vapors.
The Vapors...

Build the Vapor as a mid-break, put in a 29mm mount and then pair it with slow burners and... watch... it... fly... up... high... and... away...!
I hope my HL gets this, it hasn't received Big Daddys or any of the others that are being reported. Just the initial round of exclusives.

Last edited:
I'll have to loop back next week. My local HL had a Big Daddy on the hook where the Mean Machine was earlier when I was in there a week or two ago. But neither of these two latest "exclusives"—yet.

When I saw the face card I thought "similar to the Star Orbiter but a bit shorter". Well...I just measured my currently flying Star Orbiter and it's exactly the same length as called out on the Vapor face card: 45.2 inches (the image Scott posted on YORF is big enough one can read that info easily). So I think that's exactly what it is - essentially a 24mm-mount Star Orbiter. As you say, not that that's a bad thing.

Ok with a 29mm mount its a called a Star Orbiter(for us) , and with a 24mm mount a Vapor (probably for the general public )
THANK YOU ESTES!

qThe person who posted the photo on FB has told me:

No. If you want to build the kit then buy it. At first I thought you wanted the information for all these rockets so you can do some kind of computer simulation. But that's just part of it. You're trying to not pay for something that you should be paying for. I have no problem helping somebody with a measurement, picture or advice for a build. But if you want all that information then I suggest you contact Estes and let them send it to you. If other people have helped you in this way that's fine. But I will not and please do not ask again.

My reply
I have bought rockets from Hobby Lobby, and I plan on purchasing this kit (when I get enough money together (AND can find it on their website))... My purchases are sent to eRockets in Dayton, Ohio. When enough of them are accumulated to warrant being sent to CHINA (where I am teaching) then they are sent to me with a single shipping charge instead of several shipping charges. l cannot afford to have every single rocket I purchase sent to me individually. I also cannot clone them, as parts for rockets are not available here in China, despite being manufactured here. My sims are used to get flight performance figures, and assist people who seek to recreate the vendor's "stock" marking patterns.

I do not endorse cloning "In Production" kits, as that harms our vendors, and I state so on the sims I do of "In Production" kits.

I do work with Estes, eRockets/Semroc, Aerotech/Quest, and other vendors.

Ever see that new cutaway image of the Quest motor on the Aerotech's ads? Ever wonder who did that? Have you even seen my sims on TRF? My handle is "K'Tesh".

I doubt that this will sway him, as he clearly doesn't know who I am, or what I stand for... Anyone want to help me with a sim of this kit?

Thanks!

Sure...as soon as it’s actually available. I’d be inclined to quickly compare the parts list with the Star Orbiter to confirm my suspicions...and I bet except for the decals you could get really close by putting a 24mm mount (probably with the 24mm screw on retainer) in the Star Orbiter sim.

One more reason to avoid Facebookistan, I think.....

Sure...as soon as it’s actually available. I’d be inclined to quickly compare the parts list with the Star Orbiter to confirm my suspicions...and I bet except for the decals you could get really close by putting a 24mm mount (probably with the 24mm screw on retainer) in the Star Orbiter sim.

One more reason to avoid Facebookistan, I think.....
This guy in one response somehow really pissed me off. When someone says that they want to build something, it doesn't necessarily follow that they are going to clone a kit. There are only a few reason's I won't buy this kit... Nuclear war, death, sudden severe terminal illness, sudden extreme financial difficulty, or someone buys it for me (and I likely would still want a second (third, ....nth) kit).

[EDIT] A few hours later, he contacted me, and we hashed out the misunderstanding. It's always best to be respectful to people, even if you disagree with them. You never know, you might just end up friending them on FB. And remember, it you can't be anything else, "Be Kind"!

From what I can see from the photo of the face card, the Vapor's kit has triangles for fins (vs the Star Orbiter's trapezoidal fins). It also looks like it has a smaller motor mount than the Star Orbiter, but I might be wrong. As to simming up the Star Orbiter, and then modifying it is likely what I'll do, as I think you're right.

Oh, in case anyone has the wrong idea, and just for clarity, when I say "I work with (insert vendor here)". It doesn't mean that I'm on anyone's payroll... I hold no official position in any aerospace related company. I'm collaborating with vendors at various times on various projects that can be mutually beneficial for us both. I might receive a discount, a sample, or just information. The sims can be a form of free advertising for them. Those who approve of sharing the files I create, allow me to share them... Otherwise, I will retain them, and only share them with the vendor. I mention this, as one vendor was asked about a statement along those lines.

Last edited:
Just picked up a Crossfire ISX at HL
Nice little rocket
15.5 inches long
1150 alt. On a C6-7
Slots cut in tube for fins.
Quick fun build in a few hours

I visited my 'local' (20 miles away) Hobby lobby Thursday morning.

No Vapor or Olympus kits. :(

I checked the stocking stickers behind every kit and neither of those kits were listed.

I asked a friendly associate for help and she found one of the Assistant Mangers to assist me.

He was very helpful. His name was Tim.

Tim checked back in the store's receiving area for the kits. No luck.

He then brought out a tablet and found both the Vapor and Olympus kits were in the warehouse and could be ordered by the store for me.

So, I ordered one of each kit. They will arrive next Wednesday. Price of each kit is $14.99.

However, this store will be carrying the Olympus and Vapor as normal stock items. They are waiting to sell out of two other kits in order to have pegs for the Olympus and Vapor.

The two kits which will no longer be carried in the store (and likely all Hobby Lobby locations) are the Flip-Flyer and Nike-X.

So, if you want to get a Flip-Flyer or Nike-X at Hobby Lobby prices, I recommend you buy them now.

I purchased the Olympus and did not like the size of the fins in comparison to the body and length of the model. So I modified the fins a little, well a lot.

I am also waiting for the vapor to arrive at my HL as well.

Attachments

• 15731591932134991805110807564275.jpg
    15731591932134991805110807564275.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 111
No Vapor at the Alamogordo store yet. Went to buy one for it parts and had to settle for a High Flyer XL :(

-Bob

Found a couple Vapors in Clarkville TN today. They were hanging behind the Nike X models. Needless to say, check every kit hanging on the peg.

I just got a vapor from my hobby lobby. I had to ask and when they looked it up it has the same hobby lobby number as the nike x. She ordered it and it came in so that confirmed her thought that the vapor is replacing the nike x at hobby lobby. It makes sense that people are finding them behind the nike x rockets in the stores.

My rocket is not here or I'd share that number with you.

Bob
Bob

Back