Hobby Lobby single-handidly fights the recession!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n5wd

Reaction score
No TARP or bailout money for Hobby Lobby, but they're fighting the recession just the same!

Oklahoma City based Hobby Lobby, the home town hobby store for many of us, announced today that it was raising the base pay for all 9200 full-time non-management store employees to $10/hr effective immediately.

Carol Troy, a company spokesman, told a Wichita, KS, newspaper that the company took the action because “they have had a profitable year and want to pass that on to their employees.”

Good on 'em! And they give all their employees Sunday off, as well.

Edit: Yeah, I know - it's "handedly". Duh.

announced today[/URL] that it was raising the base pay for all 9200 full-time non-management store employees to $10/hr effective immediately.

That should be for 9199 employees. There's a slow moving managerial type who just meanders around up front by the checkout lanes of our store and never pitches in no matter how long the line and how long the wait. Actually, none of them move too fast up there but he's especially slow.

No TARP or bailout money for Hobby Lobby, but they're fighting the recession just the same!

Oklahoma City based Hobby Lobby, the home town hobby store for many of us, announced today that it was raising the base pay for all 9200 full-time non-management store employees to $10/hr effective immediately.

Carol Troy, a company spokesman, told a Wichita, KS, newspaper that the company took the action because “they have had a profitable year and want to pass that on to their employees.”

Good on 'em! And they give all their employees Sunday off, as well.

Edit: Yeah, I know - it's "handedly". Duh.
Wow! That's impressive. I wonder how much those employees made before the raise to $10/hr.

They were making $7 an hour because they mentioned a $3 raise.

It was big news here in OK City last night.

And they can live on that?

Minimum wage here just went to $9.50 April 1.
Angelo, minimum wage in the U.S. is $6.55 per hour effective July 24, 2008, and $7.25 per hour effective July 24, 2009.

That's not considered a living wage down here.

As of today, Friday, April 17, 2009, $1 US = $1.20573 CN, or $1 CN = $0.82937 US.

So $6.55 US = $7.90 CN, and $9.50 CN = $7.88 US. In June, the US minimum wage, then, will be almost equivalent to the Canadian minimum wage, though of course this doesn't take the cost of living into account.

....That's not considered a living wage down here.....
Acts as a floor. Unfortunately, when the legal minimum is too low, there tends to be some abuse and pressure by employers.

$1 US = $1.20573 CN, or $1 CN = $0.82937 US.....
Not a valid comparison, as we buy in Canadian dollars. So no savings from the exchange.

The minimum, in Ontario, also goes up again to $10.25 next year.

Ohio passed its own minimum wage as the general feeling was that the federal minimum was too low. I think ours is $8.50 or thereabouts.

And they can live on that?

Minimum wage here just went to $9.50 April 1.

and that's like, what, 45 cents US?

What do you expect from a country that calls its money "loonies"

(I'm just teasing. I know all about Canadian money. I have a number of friends who live in Toronto. I've spent some time up there myself. I even worked for a Canadian bank doing tech support once. I just HAVE to tease them about the money every chance I get. Best way to figure the exchange is 1.25 CAN for 1.00 US. Even with exchange rate fluctuations over the years, you're usually close. )

Back