Hobby Lobby Rocket Clearance 2022

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FINALLY!!!
(only took 4+ visits after hearing about this on FB!)
View attachment 524352

Prior to the above appearing in the Clearance section, the only rocketry item there for weeks/months was this crap for $24.99...

View attachment 524355
Ahhhh I got that rocket had for some time now..I re did it and just put Gray primer and a black nose cone .. countless of good flights and still flying ..

I stocked up on C6-3 packs. Gotta’ build some rockets heavy enough for a C6-3. Any suggestions? With the short delay, I am thinking something heavy. Maybe a kit designed for 24 mm motor but will fly on C6? Those kits designed to go super high on a D12 motor should fly on a C6, I would think.
I ended up with some C6-3 so I kitbashed a Baby Bertha to use them, almost finished with it. I have a thread in the scratch built forum. I went through the old database for wrasp and found several kits with recommendations for the C6-3. I notice that there is one kit in the current Estes catalog for the C6-3, and IIRC the old Fat Boy kit used C6-3. Something just a bit heavier than the Estes ESAM will work on C6-3. I actually kit-bashed an Estes HiFlier XL to an Aerobee Hi. It has 24mm mount but I made an 18mm adapter and intended to launch it on C6-5. Turns out at 5 oz ready to fly it is beyond the recommended weight limit for the C6 but I did fly it twice. The first launch I already had it loaded with C6-5 and it flew pretty well- straight up and it seemed like 5 second delay wasn't really too long. The second launch it tilted off the rod and didn't get as much altitude. 5 sec. delay was longer than needed and it deployed about halfway down but was recovered undamaged. So you could kit bash a HiFlier XL or a Vapor to get a bit under 5oz total weight, or you could do like I did and get something smaller and add additional stuff on the outside to increase drag.

All the HLs around me have a decent Rocket section. They put stuff on Clearance but stock everything else.

Ahhhh I got that rocket had for some time now..I re did it and just put Gray primer and a black nose cone .. countless of good flights and still flying ..
lol don't take my "this crap" mention to represent my feelings about the rocket set (I actually love the Amazon starter kit that introduced me to rocketry)...it was more a general reference to the condition of the item and it only being reduced by $5 despite being opened and actually missing parts. There could be more things missing than noted since I wouldn't trust the average store worker to be able to discern that everything else was present. 🙂

Dang I need to go check stuff out tomorrow! Last year the Bulk Viking boxes were going for $11.99! Check out this 12 kit-in-one build:

Several years ago, before I retired, I purchased many rocket kits from Hobby Lobby clearance. They range from skill level beginner to advanced. I wanted to sell them online but I was not able to find the size boxes I needed and the ones I could get were too expensive to ship. I still have the kits and, though old, I still have some motors and other supplies. If anyone is wanting them, I will take a fair price and you cover shipping. BTW, my collection includes several boxes of Alpha kits.

Several years ago, before I retired, I purchased many rocket kits from Hobby Lobby clearance. They range from skill level beginner to advanced. I wanted to sell them online but I was not able to find the size boxes I needed and the ones I could get were too expensive to ship. I still have the kits and, though old, I still have some motors and other supplies. If anyone is wanting them, I will take a fair price and you cover shipping. BTW, my collection includes several boxes of Alpha kits.
Some old kits will have gone up in value. I recommend writing a list of what you have and maybe taking a few photos, then post the list to get help with the pricing. Or you can make your list and search for completed auctions on ebay to see what they have sold for recently.

Speaking of the “Tazz” on the wall there. Has anybody built one? Is it fun to fly?
Just now 90% on a Tazz. The rocket pod is designed to hold the fins straight during launch/flight. Once the motor ejects it allows the rubber bands to pull the fins into the "helicopter" position.
Overall I've liked the build with only one exception. The hinge on the fins that form the helicopter configuration is merely a clear tape. I found the tape doesn't hold well to the balsa. (perhaps is may if you use it AFTER it was painted) I've opted to use an RC type hinge made from a nylon strip of material and a layer of epoxy. Jury still out as the first side is drying now.
David

Back