Hobby Lobby Rocket Clearance 2022

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goose_in_co

Reaction score
It has been a while since Hobby Lobby changed their rocket offerings, and put the older ones on clearance, But they finally did.

What I found in my local HL was
Vapor $5.99
Luna Bug $1.99
Lunar Scout $1.99
Leaper $5.99

As usual, your Hobby Lobby may have more or less of these kits. They were found in the clearance section of the store and not on the Rocketry aisle.

Lots-O Leapers.

IMG_3043.JPG

It has been a while since Hobby Lobby changed their rocket offerings, and put the older ones on clearance, But they finally did.

Vapor $5.99
Luna Bug $1.99
Lunar Scout $1.99
Leaper $5.99

As usual, your Hobby Lobby may have more or less of these kits. They were found in the clearance section of the store and not on the Rocketry aisle.

Lots-O Leapers.

View attachment 522563

Heck yeah! Starting the car now…

Vapor $5.99
Luna Bug $1.99
Lunar Scout $1.99
Leaper $5.99

Lots-O Leapers.

View attachment 522563
I'll have to do my circuit of the stores in my area. There are three that aren't too far to go prospecting for clearance kits.

I'd particularly love to get Vapors and Luna Bugs at those prices.

You can actually get the Leaper on their website on sale for $8.99: https://www.hobbylobby.com/Clearanc...ation-Mars-Leaper-Model-Rocket-Kit/p/81031131
The other three are gone from their web site already.

Vapor $5.99
Luna Bug $1.99
Lunar Scout $1.99
Leaper $5.99

Lots-O Leapers.

View attachment 522563

Nothing on sale in Longmont, CO. :-(. Drat! I want a Vapor for $5.99 so I can kitbash it.

image.jpg

It was a crap shoot in my area with the last clearance... I finally got lucky and found a bunch of rockets on sale... With gas prices these days not sure it is worth it to drive around...

This was in FB group... at $7.99 the Mean Machine is about the cost of a pack of 4x body tubes!!!

1654998568970.png

Last edited:
Nothing on sale in Longmont, CO. :-(. Drat! I want a Vapor for $5.99 so I can kitbash it.

View attachment 522640

Even in one area, the stores don't seem to operate on the same schedule. Three years ago when they were changing out many things and even clearancing some motors (including E16/F15s), I would find things not on sale at all in one area store, then go to another on the same trip and see that they'd already blown stuff out and then go to another and have good luck. So I wound up making the loop to the three stores several times, and even went a little further afield in search of clearanced 29mm motors.

Then on the road trip out to Muncie to go to NARAM-61 I stopped at a couple others along the way and scored some more motors and Alpha VIs.

So swing back to that local store again every week or two until all the clearance things are gone. I see Lunar Scouts and Luna Bugs in your picture, but no Vapors. And with Olympus on two hooks, they may have already gotten rid of (or aren't restocking) Vapors.

Speaking of the “Tazz” on the wall there. Has anybody built one? Is it fun to fly?

Agree with @Antares JS. Tazz is essentially a BT-50 upscale of the K-24 Gyroc, but with a streamer wrapped around the motor tube to provide a recovery system when it's ejected, and some nice plastic parts to facilitate that, plus bits to connect very small rubber bands (orthodontic types) to pull the flaps down instead of the elastic thread of old. It works very nicely.

It was a crap shoot in my area with the last clearance... I finally got lucky and found a bunch of rockets on sale... With gas prices these days not sure it is worth it to drive around...

This was in FB group... at $7.99 the Mean Machine is about the cost of a pack of 4x body tubes!!!

View attachment 522653
I haven't seen a Mean Machine in a Hobby Lobby around here in some months. That would be a cracking deal....and that's really why I'd like to score a couple of clearance Vapors. I have two built Star Orbiters (Vapor's predecessor with a 29mm motor mount) and a couple more in the bag, so don't really need to build a Vapor...

Fortunately I drive an EV that I charge at home...so I'm not quite as worried about the $5+ gas with respect to hunting for H-L clearance items, anyway.

You guys are so spoilt for choice in LPR/MPR in the USA. Almost no stocks in LHS down here, and what is there is exorbitantly priced. Estes Alpha is $43.

I will check out what is available in NM in a week or so.

Yep. I think our nearest Hobby Lobby is a 26 hour / $1800 flight away. ;) You have to buy a lot of stuff to make it worthwhile...

Dang I had quit checking and had decided they weren't going to have a clearance sale this year. Going to check mine Mon. and have a co-worker pu what I want at their HL.
Note to self: pu more boxes at work for storage.

Brock, They typically are not in the rocket display. They hide them in the corner with all of the other clearance items.

Wow, that's a nice price for a Mean Machine!

You guys are so spoilt for choice in LPR/MPR in the USA. Almost no stocks in LHS down here, and what is there is exorbitantly priced. Estes Alpha is $43.

I'd say take a huge extra suitcase and bring stuff back for sure. Even paying US retail, you'd be half price for most stuff, I'd guess. Hopefully a hard case, not a soft side, though. . .

If you're here for a week, maybe you could even place orders from e-shops and just ship to your hotel. . .

Sandy.

Speaking of the “Tazz” on the wall there. Has anybody built one? Is it fun to fly?
I built one. I thought I built it correctly. It did not helicopter down like it was supposed. Probably because I put a C-6 and it separate in 2 pieces when the ejection charge went off.

But Australia has the best electronics websites (talkingelectronics.com) and model railway hobby stores.

But Australia has the best electronics websites (talkingelectronics.com) and model railway hobby stores.
Interesting. I didn't know that. I know a lot of train stores have closed down from when I was a kid (I had N-gauge) but maybe it is online that is thriving?

Talking Electronics looks like a decent site. Thanks for pointing me at that. I remember making an FM bug when I was 12. That was my first ever PCB I made. He has a lot of kits that are good for starting out at that level and getting people interested.

I know a lot of train stores have closed down from when I was a kid
:-(. You may be right. I just know that when I do Google searches for model railroad electronics, sites in Australia pop up.

I don’t actually have a model railroad layout: The electronics for model railroads just happen to apply to my electronics hobby projects.

There are a couple of really good books on model railroad electronics by Australian Ken Stone. There are nifty projects in the books that are not limited to just model train applications. You can download the PDF’s at the talkingelectronics.com website.

I don’t actually have a model railroad layout: The electronics for model railroads just happen to apply to my electronics hobby projects.

There are a couple of really good books on model railroad electronics by Australian Ken Stone. There are nifty projects in the books that are not limited to just model train applications. You can download the PDF’s at the talkingelectronics.com website.
My first engineering job was software engineering for our public transport corporation, doing the software that runs the trains in Melbourne. Software testing on the system was done between last and first trains. It's great when pulling routes to know boom gates are closing on roads! Biggest train set I have ever played with. :)

FYI compile was 7.5 hours. Minimum software cycle because of testing requirements was 14 days, even for a simple change.

Back