Hobby Lobby/Micheal's?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkmilion

Reaction score
I've been hearing talk about Hobby Lobby and Micheal's craft stores alot. I've seen a Hobby Lobby in my area and a Micheal's going up soon. My question is: Is this the Hobby Lobby with the orange lettering and ususally a brick building? The reason I ask is my g/f and most of my friends tell me they don't sell rockets so I have yet to go in there and find out cause I work 50 hrs a week, so I figured I'd ask you guys.

No Hobby Lobbys in North Carolina, but I can tell you that unless there is a closeout at Michael's, you will probably pay through the nose for any rocket you get there. I was fortunate enough to find to Estes AMRAAM kits at $6 a piece, but the Tidal Wave starter set was $42. I bought the Tidal Wave starter set at Wal-Mart for $17. They almost swindled me with a $15 3-pack of C11-3s. I put those back as soon as I found out the price tag was wrong. Let's see, $30 for a Merc Redstone kit, $13 for a Sky Writer, and $12 for a Gnome. But a closeout price at Michael's usually warrants a trip inside just to see if something is on sale.

They all usually sell Rockets and plastic models
but most of the store is for Scrapbooking and Decorations
and easter is a good time to get nosecones
none of the Michaels in my area sell rocketry related items
but many others do

Some Michael's carry rockets and others do not. I have heard that this is up to the store manager. The two in my area do.

I never buy at full price. Use the '40% off any one item' coupon in Saturday's paper.

In Feb/March, (once the new estes catalog comes out) they usually blow out the kits that they have in stock from last season, that will not be stocked next season. This is a 50% off sale, and they will often take the 40% coupon on tp of that. I picked up a pile of rockets last winter/spring for $2-$9.

All the Hobby Lobby's I have been to sell rockets mkmillion. Chances are your GF has never bothered to look, thinking since 90% of the store is crafts, plantware and supplies that there is no rocket stuff at all. They are next to the plastic models isle, usually in the same isle as the train stuff. They have basic Estes, Quest and some others in rocket stuff, but once every few months it's half off on the rocket kits, so we all kinda go crazy here that week. :)

The good thing is you both can happily shop at one store for once.

Carl

There are 3 Hobby Lobby stores here in Mississippi. Anytime I travel near one here or in another state, I go check them out. Every one I have been has carried rockets. You just have to go all the way to the back and usually the center of the store. There is usually one aisle devoted to them. Unless there is a 50% off sale, the prices are usually straight retail. But sometimes you can find an endcap with some clearance items on it. It may not even be with the rockets. It is definitely worth checking out. Unfortunately (but maybe good for my pocketbook) the stores in Miss. are all 2,3,and 4 hours away from me. But I have found these deals on separate occassions in all 3 stores: Aerotech Wart Hog 34.95, Aerotech Mustang 28.95 Estes Skywinder 5.00 Aerotech G35-7w 13.00/2pk Aerotech F21-8w 6.99/2pk Estes D12-5 5.99/3pk If there was a Hobby Lobby in my immediate area, I would be checking it out at least 3 times a week. I even got my wife interested in beading so when we travel and pass a HL: "Can we stop and see what beading material they have?" "Why YES, ....dear!!!"

Does Hobby Lobby sell stuff online? I have never seen one in Virginia.

mkmilion,
All of the Hobby Lobby's I've been to carry model rocket stuff. It'll be located in the same isle as the model train stuff. Most of them keep the motors in a different section, behind a glass display counter where the artists paints and stuff are kept. A very few I've been to have the motors on the same isle with the rockets.

nomopbo,
Yes, HL sells stuff online, but at their prices (suggested retail), probably not much. Their online listing is through another parent company called Crafts Ect., and is a very slim selection. If I'm ordering online, I usually go to a better "hobby" shop. As an example, I just bought an Aztek airbrush set. Hobby Lobby has it, for 139.99. I ordered the exact same set from Great Lakes for 74.99.

mkmillion,

There are two Hobby Lobby's in the Grand Rapids area (lucky you!) I've been to both and they both carry rockets.

The trouble is they are 3 and a half hours away from me!

But try this first. I have to thank Gus for this one...thanks, Gus!

My wife and I went to Meijer's yesterday and I picked up a Fat Boy kit. At the checkout the lady told me "that will be 85 cents please."

The seem to be having some sort of "clearence"!!!!

A Fat Boy, a Baby Bertha and get this...a Bullpup 80 cents each (5 cents sales tax) !:D

OK ladies...let's go shopping!

hello??? anybody there??? hum...you guys must have left already.

sandman;)

I'm gonna have to go ckeck out the Meijer's here in Mansfield today !!! We also have a Michaels here in town ... I try to keep my wife out of there !!! She's a craft-a-holic ... lol

I glad I could get some help from you guys; even you out of state ones. I figure since Hobby Lobby is corporate that means all stores carry them. In Micheal's case I'm disappointed to hear that it is at there discretion.

Sandman,
I appreciate your localized info. To tell you the truth those GR ones are the ones that sparked this thread, and they're building a Micheal's on the northside of Holland. I'll have to head on over. It's too bad you live where you do. (Not bragging) I only got a 30-40 min to either one.

Thanks everyone!!!!

Back