Hobby Labs SR-71 Instructions WANTED

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

termite

Reaction score
I'm in realy desperate need of set-up and instruction manual for the SR-71 freeflight glider!!!! Can anyone HELP Randy

Me Too ! I got one off E-bay and no instructions were in the box. I tried to contact the seller ,no response. Sure is a nice kit , I think i figured out how it works but what motor should I use ??:confused:

MCCR3328 Hobby Labs recommends Aero tech E-15-pw. Can I ask what the sellers I.D. is????? Randy

You will be lucky to find any AT (AeroTech) E-15PWs. AT hasn't made any of those for several years now, and they are quite scarce.

However.... you can substitute an AT E-18 reload. Use the 24mm RMS hardware. Just don't put any black powder in the ejection charge holder. That way, the motor won't kick out.

On VERY CALM days, I have even launched my Hobby Labs SR-71 on AT E11 and F12 24mm reloads.

Mine is the RC version, not the free flight version. I didn't have any instructions with mine, either.

I have scanned the instructions for them. I have them at home whein I get off work, I can send these to whoever needs them. Those that need a copy please send me an emil at my alternate email address of [email protected], let me know if you need the free flight or the RC version and I will see what I can get to you. ( I have an RC new in the box, do not know if it has the instructions with it yet). I have been told that you can use the E15-4 just remove the BP, and reseal the paper cap, but have not tried it yet. I wonder also about the E30's as they look to be the same plastic motor case as the E15's.

Happy Flying!

Termite, my seller's id was {therocketman}9346 .I was happy with the price, and the SR 71 was as advertised ,but no instructions . I figured I would use an aerotech 24mm E in a reload minus the black powder and after seeing how the motor mount pushed on the control rods at liftoff I can see how it would boost straight ,but there is a measuring guage to set the control surfaces so I am guessing i may be able to adjust them so I can put it into a turn {circle }for recovery. mikeyd I will take you up on that offer for the instructions {scaned} I have the free flight version What kind of altitude will I get from an E15 or an E 30 ?:)

I have not tried the E30 myself yet, I still have 2 E15-p left.:D On the E15 you get about 600 ft. When trimmed right you get a very nice circling flat glide. It is not a very robust craft though, and does not handle rough landings well, but with care can be repaired. I have actually grafted a new nose on mine after a nose in landing once! I have a short video on my web page of a flight at https://members.cox.net/shortckt4 Due to the number of requests I will put up a quick page with the pictures of the manual under my rocket section shortly.

Happy Flying!

A big thanks to mikeyd I printed the instructions from your website. I have a lot of sites bookmarked and the photos on yours are some of the best! the photos of LDRS great, your rocket collection is amazing.! Thanks Again.;)

Recently, a friend gave me both a free flight and an RC version of this rocket. Both are in great shape; I don't think the RC has ever been flown. He said he couldn't get engines.

Any tips on these would be appreciated. I'll email to get info and directions, thanks!

Btw, I've never used reloads before. Are there suitable E engines (estes E?) that could be substituted? I hope this isn't too dumb a question. :)

Originally posted by cussler08
Recently, a friend gave me both a free flight and an RC version of this rocket. Both are in great shape; I don't think the RC has ever been flown. He said he couldn't get engines.

Any tips on these would be appreciated. I'll email to get info and directions, thanks!

Btw, I've never used reloads before. Are there suitable E engines (estes E?) that could be substituted? I hope this isn't too dumb a question. :)

WOW !!! That's definitely the kind of friend you want to keep happy. HOWEVER - If you ever get tired of that friend who gave you *both* versions of the SR-71, please send him my way.

In my opinion, I don't think the Estes E-9P engines are strong enough for the SR-71. Maybe others will disagree.

If you are interested, the next time we go to Whitakers, I'd be happy to have you go with us, and then I can assist you with setting up and flying either or both of your SR-71s. Heck, I'll even provide you with an E-18 reload for it. You can get an education on how reloads work. Let me know if you are interested.

are you kidding??? OF COURSE I'm interested! Waaay cool!!! Thanks!

MikeyD, thanks very much for the info! :)

Now I've got to get those rockets out and play with them again :)

Thanks to mikeyd and Ken Parker, I am all set to start building and seting up the Blackbird. One last question what kind of glue do you recomend for assembly {stablizer fins} and also for repare of the main body should I have a hard landing ? :confused:

For Repairs, what seems to have worked the best is Epoxy, just "Think Light". Use just what you need to keep weight down. At LDRS22 My son and I did a drag race, his being brand new, mine with the nose grafted, and repaired, and the motor mount re-glued. On visual they got to about the same height, and then actually landed close to the same time. I have not weighed them to see how much weight I have added with the repairs though.(Need good digital scale).

Happy Flying!

I have also used odorless CA on my BlackBird for minor repairs. You want to be sure that it is odorless CA, as regular CA might dissolve the foam.

Back