Hobbies and politics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started this thread partly as a public reminder to myself about my decision. I do post under my real name and I personally know many folks who post here. So what I say here tends to follow me around in real life. The magnetic/WiFi switch banning thread was a good example. I got calls from several involved parties and that led to some good discussions. For me I feel it’s better to stay honest and open then have to stay anonymous. I realize that’s not for everyone. But it has caused me to delete a lot of posts before I hit submit.

It’s great to see the lively discourse my post engendered, even if it’s not rockets its still been interesting and thought provoking. I’ve refrained from posting lest I break my rule in the very thread I expressed it, but I figure this is pretty harmless. Thanks all for the positive feedback on the initial post, and for all the opinions expressed along the way.

But always remember, the Illuminati are watching!!

Tony
That's one thing about posting my amateur radio callsign in my sig, that isn't anonymous. :)

If the illuminati were all that powerful they'd pay my electric bill. :D

it was [apparently] shown that more & more are likely to more aggressive in their "talks" on line, as it is easer to hid behind a moniker. So, I can be a complete [posterior orifice] and you would never know it when we meet each other at LDRS..

This is an older phenomenon, called "Internet Tough Guy Syndrome", wherein because the Internet is supposedly anonymous, they feel like it is safe and okay to act like a total jerk, and say things that they would never say to your face lest you maybe punch them out.

what about the politics of the local rocketry club?
Do tell, or not.

Actually, i was wondering about NAR BOD politics. In a recent post, Bunny mentioned that Ric Gaff had been his political advisor. What was the political divide: liberals vs conservatives, MR vs HPR, science vs flat earthers? I remember happily voting for Bunny as a trustee, while thinking that he might be a little too close minded to be president. I was a little concerned when the BOD elected him president. Bunny then did a pragmatic study of leadership styles suitable for a non profit organization, and settled on a membership driven style. This means that he brought no personal agenda to the table, but was a facilitator to whatever the membership wanted. I'm not sure that is the best leadership style, but it certainly put an end to my close minded assessment, and I think he did quite well.

Do tell, or not.

Actually, i was wondering about NAR BOD politics. In a recent post, Bunny mentioned that Ric Gaff had been his political advisor. What was the political divide: liberals vs conservatives, MR vs HPR, science vs flat earthers? I remember happily voting for Bunny as a trustee, while thinking that he might be a little too close minded to be president. I was a little concerned when the BOD elected him president. Bunny then did a pragmatic study of leadership styles suitable for a non profit organization, and settled on a membership driven style. This means that he brought no personal agenda to the table, but was a facilitator to whatever the membership wanted. I'm not sure that is the best leadership style, but it certainly put an end to my close minded assessment, and I think he did quite well.

that is the right thing to do..

A local R/C plane field was lost a number of years ago. One "gentleman" got himself elected as the president, and had a few 'friends' [minions?] in the exec positions. They changed the club's constitution so that he (the new pres) was pres for life, and they then started to change the club to their likings.. they lost members. the club is no more..

I stopped watching TV except for Jeopardy in March of 2016 before the Trump/Clinton election. The mud and hate was driving me crazy or making me more crazy. That election and the last scared me. I needed professional help and meds to get past the politics of the last 5 years and the ongoing political climate. Building rockets for the last 2 years and 10 months has helped me to stay sane.

I never understood teh politics of election pandering.. Like, these super smart (supposedly) people who want to lead the country and have new ideas and [all teh good stuff they preach] yet the election drive is nothing more than school kids bickering about how bad the other guy is..

its easy to bad mouth the other guy, it's harder to make a convince people on your own merits.

but I guess that's what we've come to expect / want / drives up the ratings..

We are all either stupid, short sighted, or just enjoy the belittling.. sad..

I never understood teh politics of election pandering.. Like, these super smart (supposedly) people who want to lead the country and have new ideas and [all teh good stuff they preach] yet the election drive is nothing more than school kids bickering about how bad the other guy is..

its easy to bad mouth the other guy, it's harder to make a convince people on your own merits.

It’s done that way because: A. It works and B. It benefits the people involved - i.e. they get paid. It’s been said many, many times - the American people get the best government money can buy 😆

And here’s where that lack of historical context comes in play - our current social climate here in the USA (as described by a great many people with a vested interest in either the outcome or the continuation of the conflict) isn’t even in the same ballpark as the truly horrendous conflicts of the past. We are NOT living in “the most <contentious, acrimonious, divided…use the adjective of your choice here> time in human history” - today’s current political and cultural conflicts are nowhere near what they were even during the Great Depression (the one that started, mostly, in 1929) much less the level of conflict extant during say the US Civil War, the French Revolution, the Glorious Revolution, the Thirty Years War, the time of the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms in China, c. 907-960…plus dozens and dozens of extended periods in human history when something as mundane as the type/color of your clothing could get you and your family executed. Our differences are so near trivial it makes the Dr Seuss story about the Sneeches nearly rise to an account of genocide in comparison 😆
You know what your pretty right, Guess my claim applies mostly to social media which isn't an accurate metric of society

Politics is downstream from culture...we elect the schmucks who do well in front of cameras these days instead of educated, wise folks with good ideas but who struggle to articulate.

Politics is downstream from culture...we elect the schmucks who do well in front of cameras these days instead of educated, wise folks with good ideas but who struggle to articulate.
I agree but still know of many fine, articulate, educated folk who could perhaps help but either don't stand for election or else don't get elected if they do - maybe I'm just circling around to exactly what you said. :rolleyes:

I think there are two competing sentiments that keep us from sweeping house. Many people think, "I can't snad Congress, and I wish we would vote those idiots out." But they also think, "But I like my Congressman, so I'm voting him back in."

...Our differences are so near trivial it makes the Dr Seuss story about the Sneeches nearly rise to an account of genocide in comparison

The Sneeches is the most elegant and simply illuminating piece on class disparity ever written. love this reference.

It is surprising to me how different people think and, in particular, which ones have similar beliefs to me and which don't. Call it wisdom, but this mere fact has taught me to keep my beliefs to myself. Sharing them only leads to anger from someone.

Religion and Politics- 2 quickest ways to destroy friendships.

The same can be true for employees talking about politics are work. If you own a restaurant and want to alienate customers, allow your employees to push their beliefs in the workplace.

i don't prescribe to absolutes. there are situations and circumstances that experience would council refrain, but this community is largely comprised of educated and imaginative folk; complex thinkers... if we can't mix it up a bit here without being bigger than our monkey brains, than we're gettin' lazy, both intellectually and morally.

i work fast food, and often engage customers in light banter. some want to talk politic, i go carefully. i want them to enjoy their food more than i want to be right. BUT... if they ask, i tell them which side of the line i'm on, offering no embellishment, apology, or aggression. the message i try to send is pretty basic... i don't care about our 'philosophical' differences, just want you to enjoy your meal.

living things react to irritation. to remain reticent as a rule is unnatural.

Back