Hobbico HobbyLite balsa colored filler

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPVegh

Reaction score
I picked up a jar of the Hobbico HobbyLite filler with my last order from Hobbylinc. This is a water based balsa filler similar to Elmers wood filler but lighter and fluffier. The intructions say to mix well before use and sparingly add water to thin if necessary. The instructions also say to apply with a spatula but I found my finger to be the best tool for application. The filler goes on pretty well, better than unthinned elmers, it also dries a bit slower than the elmers, about 10 to 15 minutes to completely dry. Once dried it sands pretty much the same as elmers, very easy to remove. The sanded finish is smooth but still wood like, not like dope based fillers that take on a plastic like feeling. There was some warpage as the fin dried but it flattened back out after sanding. I also used the filler to fill the grooves in the body tube and found that like elmers it doesn't stick well to glassine. The product isn't bad, it's easy to apply, easy to sand and fills balsa well. The price is $4.99 for an 8oz jar and judging by the ammount I used for four fins it will last to do many rockets. That said I doubt that I will buy another jar, it is similar enough to elmers to make Elmers the cheaper and easier to find item and I really prefer dope based fillers anyway.

I picked up a jar of the Hobbico HobbyLite filler with my last order from Hobbylinc. This is a water based balsa filler similar to Elmers wood filler but lighter and fluffier. The intructions say to mix well before use and sparingly add water to thin if necessary. The instructions also say to apply with a spatula but I found my finger to be the best tool for application. The filler goes on pretty well, better than unthinned elmers, it also dries a bit slower than the elmers, about 10 to 15 minutes to completely dry. Once dried it sands pretty much the same as elmers, very easy to remove. The sanded finish is smooth but still wood like, not like dope based fillers that take on a plastic like feeling. There was some warpage as the fin dried but it flattened back out after sanding. I also used the filler to fill the grooves in the body tube and found that like elmers it doesn't stick well to glassine. The product isn't bad, it's easy to apply, easy to sand and fills balsa well. The price is $4.99 for an 8oz jar and judging by the ammount I used for four fins it will last to do many rockets. That said I doubt that I will buy another jar, it is similar enough to elmers to make Elmers the cheaper and easier to find item and I really prefer dope based fillers anyway.

Kind of like ready made FnF. A credit card or playing card works well as an applicator. You can get it pretty even and pretty thin. Less sanding in the end.

I've used that product for many years. Its a water based filler made with micro-ballons. I basically only use it to fill dents in balsa nosecones.

You're right about it not sticking as well as CWF but you dont need to thin it down as much either.

Jerome :)

Message_1472875569707.jpgMessage_1472875251229.jpg

It seems like this is the choice since the old formula of FnF has been discontinued. I know there are two types of this filler. The red container and blue container. Does anyone know the difference?? I'm going to using this on some lite ply that has some grain showing through. I was going to use spot putty glaze but though this would easier to get into tighter spots with a small brush. Thanks guys

It seems like this is the choice since the old formula of FnF has been discontinued.

It is still available at the larger WalMart stores. Fill and Finish is now called Carpenter's Wood Filler.
Get the stuff with the orange lid not the "Max" or any other derivative.
Enlarge the picture to see my starter mix ratios, 1 part Water to 2 1/2 parts CWF.
Thin or thicken that to a good brushable mix.

Stop by here:
https://www.nar.org/educational-resources/model-rocket-building-techniques/the-best-tools/
Scroll down towards the bottom of the page.

CWF.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 300641View attachment 300642

It seems like this is the choice since the old formula of FnF has been discontinued. I know there are two types of this filler. The red container and blue container. Does anyone know the difference?? I'm going to using this on some lite ply that has some grain showing through. I was going to use spot putty glaze but though this would easier to get into tighter spots with a small brush. Thanks guys

The blue lettering is white in color (not balsa/tan tint). I have some for sale here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?135961-Hobby-Lite-Filler

Back