HL-20 Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sj_h1

Reaction score
Well I think I'll make my 1st attempt at a build thread. I am not particularly proud of this build, but decided to post it anyway if for no other reason, give others a heads up on this model. The HL-20 is a Quest model that I bought in a group of 31 models from a garage sale. I only paid $20 for the whole lot and this is third model from that group.

HL20_build_20090001.jpg

Here is a display of all the parts. I was a little disappointed in that there appears to be no balsa and very little plastic. This model is mostly cardstock.

HL20_build_20090002.jpg

The cardstock for the aeroshroud was very curled. I put it on my flatbed scanner and weighted it down with a wooded shuttle model (My wifes idea of a rocket). Even after 2 days it was still pretty bad and I notice a couple of cringles in it.

HL20_build_20090003.jpg

Keep it going man and take your time. Lifting bodies are awesome lookers IMO.
Cheers
fred

Keep it going man and take your time. Lifting bodies are awesome lookers IMO.
Cheers
fred

That's true! I found it not very difficult to build my HL-20 although it is tricky to glue the Aeroshroud onto the motor mount assembly. I used A LOT of glue... Sj_h1, did you already decide how to paint the canopy? I used a black marker and clear coat.

HL20bug.jpg

i never got my HL-20 to glide in the true sense, always to steep. it always fell in a pretty way:D

That's true! I found it not very difficult to build my HL-20 although it is tricky to glue the Aeroshroud onto the motor mount assembly. I used A LOT of glue... Sj_h1, did you already decide how to paint the canopy? I used a black marker and clear coat.

To tell you the truth I hadn't thought about it, but I really like your idea, and yea I used a lot of glue.

Last edited:
I just read the instructions and I can't quite figure out where the 2 penny ballast is supposed to go. It does say over the launch lug inside the aeroshroud, but where. Toward the back, against the motor bulkhead, somewhere in the middle? Anybody got an idea.

I finally got my aeroshroud to connect properly and assembled the motor mount core. I found that the hole where the nose cone supposed to stick through was a little to small so I test fit it by going through the other direction. Couldn't really tell if the nose cone was the hang up or the stiffness and odd shape of the cone. At least this way, I knew it wasn't the cone. I had to trim the hole the nose cone fit through to make it slide through.

HL20_build_20090005.jpg

HL20_build_20090007.jpg

Aeroshroud and motor mount assembled. Also folded the wings, rudder, and belly scoop. I discover that I am not a real fan of origami.

HL20_build_20090009.jpg

HL20_build_20090010.jpg

HL20_build_20090011.jpg

Aeroshroud and motor mount assembled. Also folded the wings, rudder, and belly scoop. I discover that I am not a real fan of origami.
Good build shots. It looks better then a crane I think :roll::)
Cheers
fred

Thanks to comet79 I figured out where to put the ballast and streamer recovery tube.

HL20_build_20090002.jpg

And the completed model. I used a black sharpie to color the canopy. Thanks again to comet79. Unfortunatly, its going to rain again this weekend so I don't when I will get a chance to trim it out let alone fly it.

HL20_build_20090001.jpg

And the completed model. I used a black sharpie to color the canopy. Thanks again to comet79. Unfortunatly, its going to rain again this weekend so I don't when I will get a chance to trim it out let alone fly it.

Just a suggestion... The HL-20 is VERY sensitive to minute deflections in the wings to make it go from glide to spiral plumet... When it was being developed I made about 25 different models with the given dimensions (the aesthetics had already been determined). I could only change the wing angle and weight distribution. Basically each prototype had 1 degree changes of angle in the wing, until the final one actually had an amazing, almost flat, glide profile (with the usual corkscrew boost). This said, I am guessing that the best way to flight trim the thing would be with the use of trim tabs like I used to correct similar problems on my Fake Wulf kit. One on each wing would allow you to bend them up and down as needed to obtain a decent glide. If you want to PM me with your address, I'll send you a pair of the trim tabs for you to try out if needed.

t6.jpg

t7.jpg

Looks good! I'm glad I could help. :) I would recommend finishing the model with clear coat. I love the glossy metal-like look of mine. And it's a good way to reinforce the seams on the wings and the belly scoop.

That is a great looking rocket :) Cant wait to see flight pictures:)
Cheers
fred:clap::wave:

Just a suggestion... The HL-20 is VERY sensitive to minute deflections in the wings to make it go from glide to spiral plumet... When it was being developed I made about 25 different models with the given dimensions (the aesthetics had already been determined). I could only change the wing angle and weight distribution. Basically each prototype had 1 degree changes of angle in the wing, until the final one actually had an amazing, almost flat, glide profile (with the usual corkscrew boost). This said, I am guessing that the best way to flight trim the thing would be with the use of trim tabs like I used to correct similar problems on my Fake Wulf kit. One on each wing would allow you to bend them up and down as needed to obtain a decent glide. If you want to PM me with your address, I'll send you a pair of the trim tabs for you to try out if needed.

Thanks PM sent!

That is a great looking rocket :) Cant wait to see flight pictures:)
Cheers
fred:clap::wave:

I will if I ever see a nice weekend again. I think its rained the last 6 out of 7 and supposed to bad again this weekend.

They are on their way... Obviously try it without them first:D.

I'll post when I get them, thanks again. It's supposed to be thunderstorm all weekend so do chance of trimming or flying this weekend anyway.

Tried to trim this rock out. It files more like a rock with fins glued at odd angles. I don't have a clue what wrong. Its kind of hard to hand toss maybe I just can't enough air.

Back