Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GL-P

Reaction score
Gonna see it tomorrow at 4:30 with my parents. Can't wait! Anyone else gonna see it tomorrow?

Oh Yeah!!! Can't wait! Read the books, saw the TV show and heard the radio serialization. GOTTA SEE THE MOVIE!!!! But not until Saturday (gotta finish rockets Friday night!)

I just saw the best trailer for the film yet! Here's the URL, click on the "internet teaser" link on the right side of the page. It's streaming, so you gotta have pretty good bandwidth, but it's awesome!

https://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=trailer&id=1808411970&intl=us

Originally posted by GL-P
Gonna see it tomorrow at 4:30 with my parents. Can't wait! Anyone else gonna see it tomorrow?

Gonna try. If not tomorrow, as soon as possible.
Maybe Monday to avoid the crowds.

I have been chomping at the bit waiting for this movie. I have seen all the trailers, I am sooo ready to see it. But, as it usually turns out, it will be out on DVD before it hits the local theaters here in Germany. I will be first in line when it does arrive!

I want to see it, but it's pretty hard to get a babysitter.:p
I know I'll be buying it on DVD when it comes out-that's for sure!
I remember seeing the show on PBS years ago, that 2-headed guy was funny.

Originally posted by sunward
Go to a theater to see a movie?

Long time since I had the time. But interested in how everyone feels about the movie. Looking forward to the reviews.

Every once in a while one is worth it. This is one.

Last time for me was X-Files.

Time before that was Apollo 13.

Man! In Can't wait...Can't believe they actually made it into a movie!
I'm thinking it'll be pretty good.... all the critics i've heard so far hated it...so it's gotta be worth seeing:D especially after reading the books!

The wife & I are planning too!!
Read 'the trilogy in five parts', seen the BBS tv series, heard (bits) of the radio program..

We do a movie & dinner (date night) every Tuesday. (It used to be "cheapy tuesdays", but who woudl know these days!!)

But I do have a few concerns:
They are pumping it. They usually pump 'bad' movies...
There's a scene (in the trailer) where ther dolphins leave.. Did they squish all 5 books into one movie? Or are they doing one movie per the first book?

"The art of flying, is throwing yourself at the ground and missing.. Ohh, what a pretty bug"

I once signed a resignation letter "So long, and thanks for the fish"

Originally posted by Micromeister
.... all the critics i've heard so far hated it....

Good. Then it'll be great.

When the time comes, critics get loaded onto the B ark, right after the lawyers.

"Share and enjoy!"

www.movies.com
then click the 'reviews' tab it's in the top 10...

critics rated 3.33 our of 5 (6 for, 1 neg, and 8 mixed)
(with posted reviews from various sources)

'fans' rate it about a 4.17 out of 5

Originally posted by Dr Wogz
www.movies.com
then click the 'reviews' tab it's in the top 10...

critics rated 3.33 our of 5 (6 for, 1 neg, and 8 mixed)
(with posted reviews from various sources)

'fans' rate it about a 4.17 out of 5

Interesting how one of the reviews indicated the liberty taken.

I think I will wait for the DVD.

Just got back from the movie. I thought the opening musical sequence was silly, the Vogons were muppets - literally- the yarn people were too muppetish too, and Trillian was flat chested, but other than that I thought it was very well done! Well worth the $5.00 early show price at MoviE-town - there are some benefits to living in a small town. Looking forward to "The Resturant At The End Of The Universe"

Are they going to do seperate movies?

I don't think so. They basically wrapped what I knew of the story for the BBS production into one movie.

I agree, the music sequence was silly. It started out well then it diverged from the story for the worse. A love story was plugged in which kinda pissed me off a little. Had humor but missed the restaurant at the end of the universe.

I have mixed feelings. Not a bad movie to spend money on but not great. If ya wanna see it, don't let me turn you away.

Originally posted by Rob Fisher
I want to see it, but it's pretty hard to get a babysitter.:p
I know I'll be buying it on DVD when it comes out-that's for sure!
I remember seeing the show on PBS years ago, that 2-headed guy was funny.
I guess I'll just rent it then :rolleyes:

Sometimes movies this long & with different parts are best made as mini-series, or if you can pull it off-3 different parts like the Tolkien movies. I really liked "The Shining" miniseries-it was so much truer to the novel than the movie. The mini "Dune" was also very good.

Well, I saw it last night.

I'd give it a C+ or B-.

The "Hitchhikers Guide" itself was given far superior emphasis in the BBC miniseries production. And the characters in the movie were flat and dull compared to the miniseries, except for perhaps Zaphod, who was played well. Mos Def as Ford Prefect was - well - boring and lifeless.

The SFX were spectacular compared to the original miniseries, so it's strange that the animated excerpts from the "guide" were boring and poorly done, compared to what was done 20+ years ago. The ending was substantially re-written and not at all similar to the original. No "B" ark, no cavemen, and the storyline was re-written to create a love subplot between Arthur and Trillian.

Still, I will say this - I am happy that I saw it, and I would recommend it to others. It's also a great movie for the kids - my son (13) thought it should get an "A+".

-So maybe if you never read the book, or saw the BBC mini-series, you might like it. I'll rent it.;)

Oh my... :( :( :(

I won't post spoilers here because people may not have seen the movie yet, but I'll have something up on my website later this weekend with my thoughts about it.

Originally posted by melvyn
Oh my... :( :( :(

I won't post spoilers here because people may not have seen the movie yet, but I'll have something up on my website later this weekend with my thoughts about it.
I think you just said enough already!ha ha. I just hope to God that Revenge of the Sith is the best of the 3!

Originally posted by Rob Fisher
I think you just said enough already!ha ha. I just hope to God that Revenge of the Sith is the best of the 3!

Dont set your expectations THAT low... :eek: :D :kill:

I havnt seen Hitchhickers yet, i'll have to see if I can get my parents to take me out to the theatre next week.

I've never read the book but just got back from the movie - I really enjoyed it. I went with friends who'd both read the book, one loved it the other didn't. Don't write it off before you see it.

Originally posted by Mike
I've never read the book but just got back from the movie - I really enjoyed it. I went with friends who'd both read the book, one loved it the other didn't. Don't write it off before you see it.
I agree with ya Mike, I'll rent it & see what I think for myself. I really do hope it's good, I loved the BBC series. :)

As expected I liked it, my better 2/3rds had a bit of trouble getting into the beginning... She had not read the book.
Some stuff was different, but the story stayed pretty much intact. One of the Sci-fi fanatics in our club will I'm certain bash each and every diversion... but I liked it just fine, so did the wife...Hope they do the tirlogy:D

PS: We're thinking about seeing it again..before it's released on DVD;)

Wow... I just got home from seeing it.... The cast and effects were spot on (with the exception of Zaphod's second head...). Some of it was genius, for example putting the Vogons in business suits. It's just too bad that they mucked about with the story. Some of my favorite bits in the book and tv/radio series had been removed and the extra bits of story didn't really seem to lead anywhere... I'm a very forgiving movie-goer so maybe I'm somewhat biased by my years of having the BBC series in my head.

How many of you spotted the original BBC Marvin and Arthur?

Originally posted by RocketmanTM
Wow... I just got home from seeing it.... The cast and effects were spot on (with the exception of Zaphod's second head...). Some of it was genius, for example putting the Vogons in business suits. It's just too bad that they mucked about with the story. Some of my favorite bits in the book and tv/radio series had been removed and the extra bits of story didn't really seem to lead anywhere... I'm a very forgiving movie-goer so maybe I'm somewhat biased by my years of having the BBC series in my head.

Some of what's in the movie that wasn't in the books was Adams' own writing, He rewrote, added and subtracted different parts for different versions (who remembers the robot choir singing the flatted fifth?). Some of them were written with a movie in mind. They used some of his old notes for some of the ideas. Of course the very visual stuff was done by the movie people.

Well I have to say that I thought it was only OK. The special effects were very well done, of course, but the guy playing Ford Prefect was useless and the guy playing Arthur Dent was miscast. The vogons were well done, but over used, Zaphod and Trillian were OK, as was Slartibartfarst. The dolphins were excellent though.

Originally posted by RocketmanTM
Oooooh! Oooooh! I DID! I DID! :D

Back