Hit by a trojan virus

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosmodrome

Trust me, It'll fly!
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It figures, I've got AV software that was updated 3 days ago and last night I got a warning that something was trying to modify my registry. Even though I told it not to alow the change, wa-ban-go!!! A full system scan didn't find it. I'm now doing an online scan from a differt AV, found some stuff but the scan has been going on all day (coming up on 1.5 million files searched. Right now I cannot: <Ctrl> <Alt> <Del>, run regedit, run Smitfraudfix, run Adware, open PDFs, my system clock now reads in 24 hour mode, a bogus warning keeps popping up and I cannot access system restore. Aaaaarggggggh!!!

Try Bit Defender. I have it and Its stopped 4 trojans in the last 2 years of using. I also have heard good things about spybot search and destroy

Ben

It figures, I've got AV software that was updated 3 days ago and last night I got a warning that something was trying to modify my registry. Even though I told it not to alow the change, wa-ban-go!!! A full system scan didn't find it. I'm now doing an online scan from a differt AV, found some stuff but the scan has been going on all day (coming up on 1.5 million files searched. Right now I cannot: <Ctrl> <Alt> <Del>, run regedit, run Smitfraudfix, run Adware, open PDFs, my system clock now reads in 24 hour mode, a bogus warning keeps popping up and I cannot access system restore. Aaaaarggggggh!!!

What AV software are you currently using?

What AV software are you currently using?

Right now I'm McAfee. And hate it. Once of twice a week it updates the program, not the virus files, the program. During this time the computer is slow. Every Fri at 3pm it starts a scan, I've told it to start at 3am, but no, right when I'm getting home. If I disable any feature it pops up warnings that I'm not protected. 2-3 times a week I have to confirm my subscription, even though they send me weekly reminders when the subscription is due. The program is more of an anoyance then most things that it would sstop. :eek:

I just did an online scan with Norton and it found (hopfully) the culprate (Anitvirus Doktor 2009) and a trojan downloader. I've just bought Norton 360 (normally $80, got it from their site for $40). I'm now in the process of downloading it.

I had a 60 day trial of Norton when I first got my laptop, and it seemed to do its job well. I've used BitDefender in the past, and though it also seems to do well, it can, at times, hog up a lot of resources, and will also refuse to be completely shut down (its main process is blocked from access in Task Manager) in cases when you're not on an internet connection and just want to free up some memory/CPU (it will, however, let you disable active protection, as with most software packages). After Norton expired I used AVP free edition to hold me off until I could buy a full time replacement, and though it never found anything, at least it gave me some comfort. Right now I'm running Kaspersky 2010, and it's been doing a fairly nice job. It lets me scan when I want it to (usually every few nights before I go to sleep), unnoticeably updates its definitions every couple hours, and has never noticeably slowed down my computer (though, I'm on a much faster machine than the one I had back when I ran BitDefender).

Good luck.

Download the free scanner from www.malwarebytes.com. Should be mbam-setup.exe. It is only a scanner/cleaner, not resident protection, but it will find and remove almost anything. Spam, viruses, rootkits, you name it. No matter what else I use, it is not clean unless it has been scanned with mbam.

Download the free scanner from www.malwarebytes.com. Should be mbam-setup.exe. It is only a scanner/cleaner, not resident protection, but it will find and remove almost anything. Spam, viruses, rootkits, you name it. No matter what else I use, it is not clean unless it has been scanned with mbam.

Malwarebytes is an excellent scanner. I use it myself as a stand-alone scanner along with Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2010. However, to get it to run on an infected machine, you will probably have to rename the file to something like dumb.exe or something similar so the virus won't recognize it and prevent it from downloading and running.;)

Actually, Malwarebytes does have a self protection module that includes real-time protection for a one time fee of $24.95 IIRC.

Be creative with renaming the file so the trojan won't pick up on it.;)

Last edited:
I'm fighting one too, fortunately of have an old computer that I can still use (loud and slow though it is). Wasn't impressed by super anti spyware, but mal ware bytes seemed decent. big problem is I can't boot into safe mode to really zap the infection good.

good luck in your fight

I thought Trojans were supposed to PREVENT the spread of viruses??? :confused:

I don't particularly find this very funny. Computer viruses are no joke. They can lead to problems like identity theft, corrupted and/or lost data and not to mention, lost time and productivity.

I bet you wouldn't like it if a piece of malicious code wiped absolutely everything off your hard disk.;)

And most of all, come worst case scenario, I'm sure most don't find having to reinstall Windows a very pleasant experience.;)

Last edited:
I don't particularly find this very funny. Computer viruses are no joke. They can lead to problems like identity theft, corrupted and/or lost data and not to mention, lost time and productivity.

I bet you wouldn't like it if a piece of malicious code wiped absolutely everything off your hard disk.;)

And most of all, come worst case scenario, I'm sure most don't find having to reinstall Windows a very pleasant experience.;)

I've had that happen too, but then I always try to have a sense of humour about stuff... Sorry I offended you.

I've had that happen too, but then I always try to have a sense of humour about stuff... Sorry I offended you.

No problem.

I wasn't really offended but was taking into consideration what the original poster of this thread was thinking of when his system started going haywire even after he instructed his antivirus software not to allow the registry change.;)

This bug on his machine sounds serious, especially if Ctrl-Alt-Del is disabled.

Last edited:
Another vote for MBAM. Currently the best supported, most up to date anti-malware scanner out there.

My son managed to get a trojan on the main desktop computer, downloading games from the Cartoon network site of all things.:mad: Malware bytes took it out easily and painlessly. The AV scan missed some of the files, but MBAM fixed it right up.

My virus protection:

4115313238_930d32a7bf_o.jpg

I thought Trojans were supposed to PREVENT the spread of viruses??? :confused:

OK .... I thought it was funny too.

:bangpan:

I'm not laughing because the virus or the pain and suffering it causes, I'm laughing because the statement was funny.

OK .... I thought it was funny too.

:bangpan:

I'm not laughing because the virus or the pain and suffering it causes, I'm laughing because the statement was funny.

Ya, I thought of all those jokes too. I almost left off the word 'virus' when typing the subject.

No problem.

I wasn't really offended but was taking into consideration what the original poster of this thread was thinking of when his system started going haywire even after he instructed his antivirus software not to allow the registry change.;)

This bug on his machine sounds serious, especially if Ctrl-Alt-Del is disabled.

Not that bad really, I've been hit like this before, more anoying than anything. Norton cleared the virus, I had to go in by hand and restore the Ctrl-Alt-Del, 12 hour clock and background. Those were all just registry edits, just had to search for the specific line. I've been hit by bigger and uglier. Glad it's over.

Glad to hear that Norton cleared up the problem for you.:)

I use Norton myself and never had any problems. I have never used McAfee but I doubt I would since it allowed an infection such as this onto the system.;)

By chance, what did Norton detect the virus as???

Glad to hear that Norton cleared up the problem for you.:)

I use Norton myself and never had any problems. I have never used McAfee but I doubt I would since it allowed an infection such as this onto the system.;)

By chance, what did Norton detect the virus as???

Trojan.FakeAV

Right now I'm McAfee. And hate it. Once of twice a week it updates the program, not the virus files, the program. During this time the computer is slow. Every Fri at 3pm it starts a scan, I've told it to start at 3am, but no, right when I'm getting home. If I disable any feature it pops up warnings that I'm not protected. 2-3 times a week I have to confirm my subscription, even though they send me weekly reminders when the subscription is due. The program is more of an anoyance then most things that it would sstop. :eek:

I just did an online scan with Norton and it found (hopfully) the culprate (Anitvirus Doktor 2009) and a trojan downloader. I've just bought Norton 360 (normally $80, got it from their site for $40). I'm now in the process of downloading it.

My McAfee updates almost everyday, sometimes twice a day. In fact it updated today when I started the computer. My virus definitions etc. are all dated today. My computer runs my scan when I have it scheduled and reports to me when it is done. I am extreamly happy with my McAfee. But as always YMMV. Win XP with McAfee Security center, ViruScan, Personal Firewall, SiteAdvisor, Anti-Spam, Parental Controls, EasyNetwork plus Backup and Restore.

My virus protection:

4115313238_930d32a7bf_o.jpg

Macbook all the way baybay....
:cheers:

<Edit> This was not meant to appear snobbish or condescending. After having to reformat the HD five times on my PC due to HD problems, viruses, Windows as a whole and so forth, I decided to go Mac. With Boot Camp you can run both Windows and OS-X but I chose not to temp fate and am sticking with OS-X. I am sorry for your problems, virus writers should be stripped nekkid and publicly caned.
You could try Comodo Antivirus, it is free and has worked quite reliably on my PC since the last format.
And a bit of unsolicited advice: Back Up, Back Up, Back Up, Back Up, and then Back Up again. If all else fails call in an air-strike and start over.

Last edited:
This was not meant to appear snobbish or condescending.

No offense taken. The software I have is for PC, I know how how to strip one and re-build it, but they do have their downsides. I've only been hit with three viruses since my first 386SX way back when. Haven't lost any data yet. <wood> knock, knock </wood>.

Back