History was just made!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bravo52

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
..... And I witnessed it! Steve's Saturn flew perfectly! Congrats to him and MDRA!

Last edited:
Congrats to Steve and everyone who helped.

Thanks for the update Bravo52. I bet it was a great launch to watch.

That ranks among the faster lift-offs I've seen so I'm marveling that it weighs 1600lb! He also couldn't have asked for better recovery with zero wind to boot. Amazing!

The second video is also awesome! If you have tender ears, just hit mute, because you have to see the footage.

Rstaff3, please post yours too, as any video of this thing has to be cool!

Awesome job!!

Sandy.

I agree the second video was awesome! Congrats Steve! The first video however was terrrible.

Not as close or as clear but you can see the whole flight until just after deployment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lixC3CNiO4

I'm impressed as to how many spectators there appears to be. It was impressive in every way, shape and form not to mention to stick the landing.

Last edited:
Awesome!

Did anyone see any news crews there...people w/broadcast-quality gear? Maybe there will be some professional vids available later (after they air on broadcasts).

Awesome!

Did anyone see any news crews there...people w/broadcast-quality gear? Maybe there will be some professional vids available later (after they air on broadcasts).

Discovery Channel was there.

Best one yet. -- troj beat me to it --
Did anyone else notice how much it whipped the tower in the first video....wow

Congrats Steve and Crew!!!

Here is the best video I’ve seen so far.

[edit - Kevin beat me to posting it!]

Edited, with a great establishing shot of how big it is (someone on ladder).

Good close-up for the whole flight. And the only one (so far) to clearly show (and close-up) that it unexpectedly stayed sitting upright when it landed.

Plus....a slowmo replay that makes it look (even sound) more like the real thing.

I know there will be other vids, but this one will be hard to beat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj4lj6YSwzg

Best way to find the latest ones on Youtube is to keyword search “Saturn V”, and then choose “today” for when the file was uploaded.

- George Gassaway

Greatest rocket launch and gracefull recovery I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOW,WOW,WOW

Best one yet. -- troj beat me to it --
Did anyone else notice how much it whipped the tower in the first video....wow

There was an 8 foot wide hole about 2 1/2 feet deep, and the tower was moved from it's original position about 10 feet over...the blast deflector was kicked out and landed quite a distance......saw a weld crack in the tower base...that rocket kicked butt.

Amazing!!! If a rocket this size with all that power flown as beautifully as the Saturn was and topped off by a flawless recovery doesn't get you excited then high power rocketry is not for you. 'Cause if not this...WHAT would ?

Simply incredible. Well done Steve and his team and a credit to Loki for making and donating those perfectly performing motors.

Anyone know the actual altitude?

Last edited:
....and a credit to Loki for making and donating those perfectly performing motors..

Donated???

Credit show go to the individual motor sponsors who donated big $$$$ to get those motors made. Some of whom regularly frequent this forum.

Donated???

Credit show go to the individual motor sponsors who donated big $$$$ to get those motors made. Some of whom regularly frequent this forum.

Thank you. $1k for the N's 4K for the P. You pay for the load and case get to keep the case.

It was an amazing launch. All the N cases were dissasembled and partially cleaned and all of the owners are in possession minus Mark Canepa.

It was a great event and Steve was grinning ear to ear the whole time!!

Ben

I am so glad that whatever temptations might have existed, that no sponsor logos were put onto the Saturn-V.

I have never seen the sense in doing a major scale project, then disfiguring the scale project with a totally non-scale logo or other advertising slapped onto it. Make up big signs mounted near the pad so they show in prelaunch photos, and videos, fine. But not ON the scale rocket! Otherwise what is the real point of doing a scale rocket?

And therefore, extra credit to those who DID help sponsor it, and to Steve again. Showing it can be done, without sponsorship ruining the appearance of the scale rocket.

- George Gassaway

well, I just saw 1/2 of the official MDRA video and onboard is on the way! I am sorry but I cannot share :( MDRA eyes only :D

Let me just say, ITS AWESOME!!!! :headbang:

Ben

well, I just saw 1/2 of the official MDRA video and onboard is on the way! I am sorry but I cannot share :( MDRA eyes only :D

Let me just say, ITS AWESOME!!!! :headbang:

Ben

Well, I have a feeling Rockets will sell a DVD...for anyone that wants to see it that bad....(don't ya think?).

Back