Hints or TIPS...???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steward

Reaction score

Just getting into the "VENUS PROBE" that's been sitting on my work table for a couple of weeks now...

Going stock this time...

Any advice on assembly...problems or situations to look out for...??? Otherwise wish me luck...I haven't seen anything this difficult since that "MARS LANDER" I attempted as a kid...(Oh many, many, many moons ago!!!)

Thanks guys...ya'll sure are swell!!!

For such a small work space, you sure are organized...

Stock!!?? The Venus probe flies much better on a D12 motor, and only marginal on a C6 motor. I guess either way you go it is a crowd pleaser, good luck!

Johnnie Paul

I agree with Johnnie - up-engine it or risk poor flight characteristics. This thing is an aerodynamic nightmare, and the C6 is grossly underpowered for it. Put a 24 in it and put it up on at least C11s to get it off the pad...

I gave it alot of thought...especially with all the talk here on the forum...but decided against. Puttin alot of my resources into MPR...hopefully with Santa delivering an "EXCELl Jr and a "EXCELL PLUS"...BTW...Hope to meet ya soon at maybe one of the launches up north....we ended up not going saturday....too cold for the family....Steward

Stewart:
I'll have to agree with the others I've seen several Venus probes struggle into the air on C6's, You'll be glad you changed the model to a 24mm motor mount.

I see a tiny X-15 in white on a stand in your photo, Is it the 130th Scale Heller Plastic model. did you convert if for micro-maxx flight? It's real scream to see fly! heres a static pic

Steward,
we just flew our recently completed Venus Probe last Saturday evening.
I had read about it being underpowered on EMRR web site so I tossed the BT20 tube that came with the kit and replaced it with a BT50 so I could fly it on 24mm engines. Pretty easy conversion and very glad I did it.

We flew it on a D12-3 and it was terrific! I don't think I would fly on anything less.

I just began using 'dog barf' for wadding and apparently I did not get enough into the Venus Probe. Ejection went off right after apogee (it was a looong way up - barely visible) and the ejection burnt the shroud lines off the booster chute. The booster tumbled down and suffered no damage!! cool!
The Lander drifted about 800' NE of the pad and we recovered a happy little alien sitting upright amongst the corn stalk stubble.

Gotta use more dog barf I guess. On the other hand I am not sure the booster even needs a chute! tumbles very nicely with those asymetrical fins.

Unfortunately I built mine stock. But the good side of it is, they go pretty cheap on eBay, so I may get another one, and shove the D12 in it. On a C6 with the rod pointed straight up, it still flies at a 30 degree angle or so! A lot of weight in the noggin end and funky fins to stabilize the rocket can make for some heart-pounding launches. :eek:

cheap on eBay is right! I got mine off eBay for a whopping $5.00!

I'm curious as to why are these things so cheap...

Hey Guys...!!! I have a great idea...!!! I think I'll swap the tubes out and build it for a 24mm motor...!!! I'm glad I figured this out...!!!

Really...I give...It really makes more sense to go ahead and upgrade...you guys can certainly present a strong argument...

O.K...so it's a BT50...off hand what are the centering rings...??? I'll have to count some nickels and dimes...and run to town...anything else I should know???....I guess I could go with the "E" size engine hook....and cut a spacer out for the "D"... Extra strength on the fins and rings...and I guess I'll have to trim the fins to fit....

Allrighty then...let's get started....

Thanks again guys...

Steward,
on mine I used the centering rings that came with the kit.
I used an x-acto knife to carefully peel away inner spirals of paper from the rings until they just fit on the BT50 tube.
I made an engine hook out of the stainless steel insert in an old wiper blade. Since the fins are through-the-wall mount to a BT50 instead of BT20 I had to shorten the 'root' edge of the fins so they fit flush against the airframe.

someone may have already posted it but....one more thing ......don't try it on the C11 .......heads up

You mean like "See 11" crash...??? LOL or "see 11" dissapear...!!!

I know why you can find them cheap...you gotta really be dedicated (or nuts) to build one...

However...finally got the BT-50's in...so work progresses....
Thanks again everybody...!!!

Latest posts

Back