High temp epoxy recommendations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n27sb

N27SB
Reaction score
I usually use West Epoxy for most basic components but I have an application that during production it has to withstand 160 f for an hour.
I need something that is at least as thin and workable as West for simple hand layup.

Any thoughts.

Polymer Products carries an epoxy that is claimed to handle temperatures up to 350F. It's specifically for laminating glass/Kevlar/CF, but I'd ask for the viscosity in cp, then compare it to other laminating resins.

For high-temperature performance it has to be heated post-cure to at least 150F for several hours.

I've never used this product, just happened to see it on Ebay while searching for other goods.

Best -- Terry

I've used Cotronics 4461 for lots of laminating lately. Very slightly thicker than West, but works great. It's clear, rather than black.

At the temps you're looking for you probably wouldn't even need to post cure it

Last edited:
Agree that West isn't good for your application. Aeropoxy laminating resin would work just fine. The 2032 resin and 3660 hardener would cure at room temp. You could ramp it up to 160F, hold it for a bit and then let it cool down. Subsequent heating to 160F would be fine.

Jim

This is not a consumer grade product. PM me if this looks interesting to you and we can talk. We use gallons of this per month at work and run it up to max operating temp (200C std, 300C intermittent) in some applications it works great. NOT inexpensive and must use PPE.

Attachments

• AA-203-1.pdf
    239.8 KB · Views: 26
Do any of these options provide UV protection for sun exposure like West 207?

They are a industrial adhesives manufacturer, who will customize their product to your application. . SO if this is an ongoing application, and you will purchase thru a business....then they can help you. Contact them directly.
On the other hand if this is a prototype or personal project with only a quart or two needed, don't bother asking for a custom. (Your original post made it sound like a "product" and is why I posted their info.)

I believe there is some UV stabalizers to prevent yellowing, but I don't know how much there is. Or how much you need.

They are a industrial adhesives manufacturer, who will customize their product to your application. . SO if this is an ongoing application, and you will purchase thru a business....then they can help you. Contact them directly.
On the other hand if this is a prototype or personal project with only a quart or two needed, don't bother asking for a custom. (Your original post made it sound like a "product" and is why I posted their info.)

I believe there is some UV stabalizers to prevent yellowing, but I don't know how much there is. Or how much you need.
Yes this is for production. Not too worried about yellowing. Was more concerned about deterioration due to UV

I usually use West Epoxy for most basic components but I have an application that during production it has to withstand 160 f for an hour.
I need something that is at least as thin and workable as West for simple hand layup.

Any thoughts.

If you want crazy heat resistance, this is the site the visit: https://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/ea_electricalresistant.htm
4525 is what you want if working at room temp and you don't want to have to bake. Good for 500 degrees F. Might be overkill for your proposed application but I suspect 4525 would stand up over time with multiple heat soakings. It is very pricey and has a limited shelf life though I used some leftover stuff that was a year old just to get rid of it on modrocs and they are very "solid" indeed.
On my Wildman "Stretch" rocket (I used longer tubes on it 'cause at the time I liked the look of longnecks) the fins aren't going anywhere and it flew fine an a Loki L1040 to just Mach 1 and 10,000 feet. I have no doubt it could handle a 54mm M motor but there is no nearby to me altitude waivered site that could handle it. The Perfect Flight showed a little burble in the altitude tracing exactly where the sim said it was going to hit Mach I. That I believe was the shockwave. Like .5sec or less later, there was another little blip in the graph when it came out of Mach. Interesting.
I used Cotronics 4525 entirely on the build and this was way before there were 54mm M motors. I didn't have the intention for that. I have a couple of the larger Loki L grains for the long case that I could fly it on but want to make a new nosecone for tracker placement and move the tracker from the ebay to the NC so I can put an extra deployment altimeter in. Flew on one altimeter.
Kurt

I mainly use Epoxy Resin L + Hardener EPH 161 from r&g: https://shop1.r-g.de/en/art/100130
Tg of 158°F with a room temperature cure, and up to 248°F with the proper heat cure.
Some variation available on the website offers better UV resistance.

However, I'm not sure how does it compare to West in terms of viscosity.

Back