High Power Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FA_95

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a professional that can help me with some guidance, tips and tutorials while I start my first high power rocket build. I am willing to pay per hour or lessons (or whatever you prefer). If you are interested, please message me or email me.

Thanks.

**If this is not allowed or posted in the wrong forum, please notify me.

Easiest way to learn is to find a local National Association of Rocketry club (if you haven't learned Model Rockets yet aka Low Power/Mid Power Rocketry) you can start there, if you have experience with Model Rockets (enough that you have successfully flown them on your own) then seek out either a NAR or Tripoli Rocketry Association affiliated club. There you will find many individuals to help you on the High Power Rocketry journey.

Where are you located? That question will help us to point you in a local or somewhat local club to your location.

Join a club..
Ask your questions here..

We're here to help! (we've been in your shoes, so we know!)

How much experience do you have (have you built & flown a few smaller "LPR" rockets?)
Where are you located?
Do you have any rocketry related goals? or are you just moving up the ladder; progressing as you've seen others do?

You will have to get your certification at an organized launch as you will need one or two high power certified people to witness and sign off on your certification attempt. That means a club launch or a NAR or Tripoli organized event if you are in the U.S. The easiest way to do this is to join the club where you want to certify.

My club prefers to mentor the person attempting a high power certification. We will help non club members certify, but we inspect the rocket very carefully before launch and may reject it if we feel it isn't safe. We are much happier with rockets that we have seen built at our meetings and know that they were built properly and that the flyer knows how to prep the rocket and launch it successfully.

You will need to decide which organization you want to certify with; NAR or Tripoli (or other if outside the U.S.). You will need to bring your certification paperwork with you to your certification attempt. You will need to notify the launch organizers that you would like to attempt a certification at their launch. Just showing up at a launch to attempt a certification without telling people ahead of time isn't a good idea.

No one should venture into HPR, IMO, w/out reading Modern High Power Rocketry 2 by Mark Canepa. It is slightly dated, but only slightly. Everything is explained in pictures, inlcuding designing, building, electronics, motors, retention, etc., etc.

All HPR flights require an FAA waiver, and a waiver might not be granted if you are not HPR-certified by NAR, CAR, or TRA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try reading my tutorial here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/how-to-build-a-stock-3in-darkstar-cj-step-by-step.55019/

You may not understand all of it first read, but it is a valuable resource for "how to build a high-power rocket " & contains many explanation as to the "how & why of doing things" when building.

Read it, it you need my help, contact me via conversation and we can trade e-mail/ph #
I have taught rockets for schools and too many to count how to build.

Try reading my tutorial here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/how-to-build-a-stock-3in-darkstar-cj-step-by-step.55019/

You may not understand all of it first read, but it is a valuable resource for "how to build a high-power rocket " & contains many explanation as to the "how & why of doing things" when building.

Read it, it you need my help, contact me via conversation and we can trade e-mail/ph #
I have taught rockets for schools and too many to count how to build.

This is good advice. Most of what I learned about building high power rockets I learned from CJ. And I only talked with him in person for the first time a month ago.

Joe

Back