High Power Rocketry to Young

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketman 13

Reaction score
Hello everybody I want to get into HPR I have the money but I don't have certification nearest NAR club is 3 hours away I found out you have to be 18 to get certification.I have the $100 dollar altimeter from Perfectflite great for HPR and I have Rocket Sim 7.0 but don't now how to use it.I would love to get a club started but I have poor leadership skills and I think I am the only one in a 50 mile radius who acually likes rockets.I am pretty much boys with toys but don't have a clue how to use it.I like to get this kit but I don't want to mess up on a $200 rocket it is called the Velciraptor

https://binderdesign.com/

Well what is your suggestions on what I should do. P.S I had a Friend but he quit rocketry and got into motocross for good.

dood, do not start out directly in high power. make all your mistakes on low power first, it is a lot cheaper and mistakes are not as seriously dangerous. find a club or some more experienced people to fly with, you will learn SO MUCH. if you are really in to rocketry then your eyes will pop out of your head when go you fly with the club. I bet the 3 hour trip will definitely be "worth it" for what you get out of it.

rocksim is a great tool but you have to know how to use it and that only comes with experience.

velociraptor is a great rocket. if you really like that design then make a low power one first, you can do it for less than $10.

Thanks for the info.I really want to go to a rocket launch maybe next year I might pay my way to NARAM and learn a lot there.I just need to perswade my dad to take me. Thanks for your time Rocketman 13

I made a four hour trip with my dad just to watch some high power rockets go and boy was it worth it.

You can do alot with low and mid power so don't feel you have to rush to high power. Plus there's valuable skills you learn on the lower power models.

If you were serious about setting up an NAR club and there's lack of interest in your area you could try and promote rocketry in your area. Perhaps get you local model shop to sell a range of kits etc. etc.

#13 - even if your dad is dubious at first he will be hooked after seeing a club launch!!

also I realize I should have mentioned, if you are under 18 then you can't do any mid or high power. maybe that is unfair but that's the way it is. but your dad can help you a little!!

so keep working on yer dad. maybe have him poke around this website a bit?

I can persway my dad it is just he is busy a lot.Also I can buy high power rockets it is just that I can't launch them.I have a club name it is Bend River Rocketry Assoccation (BRRA). My brother is going to make a web page for it. I might try and get it sarted in April.It just is I don't have a lot of experince and never been to launch to learn how it operates and new techniques.I just know from my own trail and error and my own techniques

I'm under 18! I believe you can get into MPR with adult supervision if your under 18. Didn't know you could start a club tho if your under 18.

Ha! Dads are no problemo once you take em to an HPR launch!!!!!;) :D :rolleyes: :cool: I got mine to do L1 so I can fly HPR. I am 12. Tminus 6 years and counting untill level 3 project starts.... tminus 5 years 2 months untill my L1 flight fires up its engine! I have already flown an H, and I have an I161W I am gonna fly this month.

I reccomend some Fliskits. Duece, Tres, Corona ETC. all great kits. By the time you are feeling like you need something bigger (after you build and fly your Tres a few times) my 2" diameteter pre-glassed model should be in production, that is pretty much the "next step up". It can only take AP motors, no BP power, unless you got your hands on some of the old Silver Streaks. Should be able to handle Mach 1 as a stock kit!

Try a PML kit. Those are great. My dad had a PML Hydra for his L1. Then get a LOC Forte. Not to expensive, and great fun! Those can fly on F20s thru J420s. Same range as my soon-to-be kit, but a little bigger.

As someone else said, dont make your first rocket an HPR model. My dad only did it because he had me helping him build it! Otherwise he would have gone with an AT kit or something, and then gone toHPR.Good luck!!!!-Neil

my dad is pretty good about it. "this better be a **** good launch since we drove this far" he says sometimes. If it was a long drive or if its cold. A good launch must include many High powere flights including an M, or some landsharks or extreme crashes. That makes it a good time for him....and me too. Sometimes he brags about the crashes he has seen. He often makes friends with the guys with the huge rockets ;)

its a fun time

Back