High Power Rocketry Launch Controller for Cluster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings,

I was hoping someone could help me find/recommend a suitable launch controller for my high-power rocket. The rocket is a cluster flying with 4 CTI P-29s (G54).

Thanks so much!

You actually don't need what you are seeking. Any launch controller will suffice. Low current igniters (like those supplied by CTI) are what's needed for clusters High current controllers,while prefered are not necessarily the answer. Always use low current ignitors(ematches) for clusters.

You actually don't need what you are seeking. Any launch controller will suffice. Low current igniters (like those supplied by CTI) are what's needed for clusters High current controllers,while prefered are not necessarily the answer. Always use low current ignitors(ematches) for clusters.
I agree. You don’t need a special controller for clusters. You just need one that can source the required current at 12V.

Or, like I said, use low current ignitors. I single AA battery will light half a dozen or more CTI motors because of the supplied ematches.

As long as you are using a large (car) battery for your controller and suitable contactor and cables, you can fire at least (7) low current e-matches at once. I did just this last weekend with my (7) motor cluster. If your controller is multi-channel, then pull two channels over to the launch pad and parallel them and fire both at once from the controller. This gives a lower resistance pathway to the ignitors and the contactors share the current load.

Back