High power cluster restrictions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcriminale

Reaction score
Am i allowed to turn around after getting a level 1 certification to launch a cluster of I motors that have more total impulse a a J or above or not because i can’t find a definite answer online.

-Thank you, Matthew

Am i allowed to turn around after getting a level 1 certification to launch a cluster of I motors that have more total impulse a a J or above or not because i can’t find a definite answer online.

-Thank you, Matthew
As I understand, you're limited to I-class total impulse, so your configuration would be a no.

Used to be you could fly up to double your cert level with clusters.
ie: an L1 could cluster up to 1280 nsec, L2 up to M total impule... has this changed ?

Ro maybe this one... 316 "D's"

Attachments

• 316 Estes D11P rocket motors.jpg
    316 Estes D11P rocket motors.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 0
hOLY cOW! But that assumes that all of those actually fired. Also, those rockets look very LDRS, so I'm going to assume the owner was a L3 holder, and could already fly that level of impulse.

Used to be you could fly up to double your cert level with clusters.
ie: an L1 could cluster up to 1280 nsec, L2 up to M total impule... has this changed ?
I don’t recall that, but something similar exists in the requirement to be certified. From the NAR site:

High Power Certification is required if a person wishes to:

Launch rockets containing multiple motors with a total installed impulse of 320.01 Newton-seconds or more, or
Launch rockets containing a single motor with a total installed impulse of 160.01 Newton-seconds or more, or
Launch rockets that weigh more than 53 ounces (1500 grams), or
Launch rockets powered by motors not classified as model rocket motors per NFPA 1122, e.g.:
Average thrust in excess of 80.0 Newtons
Contains in excess of 125 grams of propellant
Hybrid rocket motors

I don't recall allowing double to total impulse of your Cert level when clustering. I have been studying for L2 test.
As a Class 1 rocket one may go to 320Ns (H motor equivalent) with a cluster but still have the 80N Average thrust limit as per the rules Steve posted above.

It used to be spelled out on the NAR web site. But all I can find now is on the certification form: "We believe this member is qualified to build and operate High Power Rockets with a total installed impulse up to 640 N-sec."

The NAR page used to say: "Certification at this level permits single or multiple motor rocket flights with motors having a maximum total impulse of 640.00 Newton seconds."

4: The Level 1 High Power Certification Candidate must demonstrate their ability to build and fly a rocket containing at least one H or I impulse class motor. Cluster or staged models used for certification may not contain over 640.00 Newton seconds total impulse. In the case of a cluster or staged model, at least one of the individual motors must be an H or I impulse motor. Combinations of smaller impulse motors that add up to meet the impulse requirements do not qualify as the model does not contain at least one H or I impulse motor. Single use, reloadable, or hybrid technology motors are permitted. The Level 1 High Power Certification Candidate must assemble the reloadable motor, if used, in the presence of a Certification Team member.**
https://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/level-1-hpr-certification-procedures/

Attachments

• F0BF8D93-F7A2-4C6F-91B6-4A6ACA8014EF.jpeg
    F0BF8D93-F7A2-4C6F-91B6-4A6ACA8014EF.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1

-Thank you, Matthew
High Power Level 1 Participation certification is required to:
  1. Launch rockets containing multiple motors with a total installed impulse of 320.01 Newton-seconds to 640 Newton-seconds
Got it

Back