High Altitude rocket kits (30,000 ft+)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael A

Reaction score
Hey I saw that there wasn't many kits that could go to very high altitude altitudes such as those beyond 25,000 ft or so. I understand that to get this high would require a minimum/sub minimum diameter rocket with some of the biggest 75-98 mm motors. As such, if there were a kit available that would make flights to those altitudes much more reliable for a first attempt at that altitude would it be of interest to you guys? (This is for a business class, I'm curious about exercising the idea as a proof of concept)

Another example:
https://wildmanrocketry.com/products/falcon-98-ext
Not sure what you mean by "if there were a kit available that would make flights to those altitudes much more reliable for a first attempt at that altitude"... How is a kit in a bag any more/less reliable than another? These are not like ARF airplane kits that get slapped together over a weekend. Its up to the flier to build the rocket up to snuff to survive the up part but also make sure it deploys correctly and is also recovered. Getting an airframe >30K is not a trivial effort.

Hey I saw that there wasn't many kits that could go to very high altitude altitudes such as those beyond 25,000 ft or so. I understand that to get this high would require a minimum/sub minimum diameter rocket with some of the biggest 75-98 mm motors.

26k ft+ is possible on a 54mm MD bird with an L935 and most likely a L265. Not in a kit, but it is doable.

if there were a kit available that would make flights to those altitudes much more reliable for a first attempt at that altitude would it be of interest to you guys? (This is for a business class, I'm curious about exercising the idea as a proof of concept)
If it's for a business class I recommend you run away, and fast. I don't believe there's a large market for rocket kits of this type, or large profit margins, especially when compared to sport flyer kits. Sure, I'm a altitude/speed guy, but most people in this already niche hobby (from my experience) aren't.

Hey I saw that there wasn't many kits that could go to very high altitude altitudes such as those beyond 25,000 ft or so. I understand that to get this high would require a minimum/sub minimum diameter rocket with some of the biggest 75-98 mm motors. As such, if there were a kit available that would make flights to those altitudes much more reliable for a first attempt at that altitude would it be of interest to you guys? (This is for a business class, I'm curious about exercising the idea as a proof of concept)

It helps to have some knowledge about the subject before going into business or even preparing a proof of concept. Your question tells me that you don’t have the knowledge necessary to pull this off.

Back