High altitude launch site

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxwelljets

Reaction score
Hello! Some friends and I (All L2 certified) have designed a rocket that goes to almost 40,000 feet. Obviously, this causes us some problems because all of our usual launch sites top out at around 10 or 16 thousand. Any suggestions for some launch sites (and the specific launches) that would allow us to fly this rocket would be greatly appreciated. We have already discussed BALLS, but that is during the school year and we would prefer a summer launch. Also, we are based in the upper midwest, so if anyone knows of any closer launches it would be greatly appreciated!

Hello! Some friends and I (All L2 certified) have designed a rocket that goes to almost 40,000 feet. Obviously, this causes us some problems because all of our usual launch sites top out at around 10 or 16 thousand. Any suggestions for some launch sites (and the specific launches) that would allow us to fly this rocket would be greatly appreciated. We have already discussed BALLS, but that is during the school year and we would prefer a summer launch. Also, we are based in the upper midwest, so if anyone knows of any closer launches it would be greatly appreciated!

You need to find information on when the Hartsel, Colorado flight range is available. It's 8800 foot altitude is the highest I know of.

Pretty sure they want a high altitude waiver and not a high above sea level launch site.....

If they are in the Midwest, the next best deal was probably Airfest in Argonia, KS, with their 50k waiver. The only problem is that they just had the launch two weeks ago on Labor Day Weekend and the next one is 50 weeks away.....:)

However, Argonia has the same waiver for Distant Thunder 2015 on Nov 14-15.

https://www.kloudbusters.org

Last edited:
Oregon rocketry has the brother's launch site which has a waiver to 42280ft

Pretty sure they want a high altitude waiver and not a high above sea level launch site.....

If they are in the Midwest, the next best deal was probably Airfest in Argonia, KS, with their 50k waiver. The only problem is that they just had the launch two weeks ago on Labor Day Weekend and the next one is 50 weeks away.....:)

However, Argonia has the same waiver for Distant Thunder 2015 on Nov 14-15.

https://www.kloudbusters.org

...maybe both? The higher you launch the same rocket the higher it will go. Your pushing a high waver...big deal. Rocket will go higher in Hartsel. Simple statement of fact. I don't know their waiver or when they launch which is why I said they needed to find out. The Internet is at their fingertips.

...maybe both? The higher you launch the same rocket the higher it will go. Your pushing a high waver...big deal. Rocket will go higher in Hartsel. Simple statement of fact. I don't know their waiver or when they launch which is why I said they needed to find out. The Internet is at their fingertips.

The OP mentioned that they had a rocket destined for around 40k and that they were in the Midwest and mentioned that the sites around them were limited to 10-16K.

Seems clear in context, to me.

The OP mentioned that they had a rocket destined for around 40k and that they were in the Midwest and mentioned that the sites around them were limited to 10-16K.

Seems clear in context, to me.

I tried to contact Tripoli Colorado, my email doesn't seem to go out. I'll try elsewhere. It's a simple matter to ask if a 50k waiver can be had...you'd think...or would you?....

The available waiver for all KLOUDBusters launches is 50,000' AGL. All flights over 23,000' require prior approval from the KLOUDBusters Prefect.

This is from their website.
+1 on the waiver and location. Best waiver in the Midwest on a routine basis at a readily accessible location.

Bob

Back