HiFlier XXL is HUGE.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyModelGuy

Reaction score
So this rocket is a great Mid/Hi Power Rocket. It can run anything from an F to an I in the 29mm size. I believe I will be using this Rocket for my level 1 cert. Someone recommended the H155 I believe and said it flies amazing on that Engine. But for a size comparison this is the HiFlier XXL fin to the Estes HiFlier Rocket. 20210722_182446.jpg

So this rocket is a great Mid/Hi Power Rocket. It can run anything from an F to an I in the 29mm size. I believe I will be using this Rocket for my level 1 cert. Someone recommended the H155 I believe and said it flies amazing on that Engine. But for a size comparison this is the HiFlier XXL fin to the Estes HiFlier Rocket. View attachment 474028
Is this a scratch built rocket or is it a kit?

At one time vander-burn sold a 3 motor cluster version of the Hi-Flier XXL, but not sure if Steve @ Launch Lab Rocketry is offering it?

Vander-Burn had a few more Estes clones that Launch Lab apparently chose not to carry. Looks like the Cherokee H and the Hi-Flier XXL are the only ones still carried; I have both/built.

If you prefer fiberglass, Wildman has a Cherokee with a 54mm mmt.

So its almost finished. Just to do the Fin filets, sand, paint and then figure out what motor for its maiden flight. This is my first large rocket. And those fin slots were a pain in the ass. LOL
HiFlierXXL (3).jpg
HiFlierXXL (4).jpg

What made the fin slots so difficult?
I still haven't built mine yet.
Any suggestions before starting my build?

Thanks,
Mike
Because the slots in the tube are soo long. They tend to flex outward. And because of that getting the Centering rings to tack properly is a bit nerve racking. So I mocked up the motor tube and the fins into the rocket and marked the motor tube. And then glue the motor tube and centering rings. Let them cure for 24 hours. Did another fillet of glue let sit another 24 hours. Finally when installing the motor tube/centering ring combo I did my glue and then used rubber bands to hold the body tube in place to the motor mount. Its a great kit. Im very happy with it. Just think if I was designing it I would have made each fin have dual mounting tabs so the body tube wasnt flexing out so much. Ill finish my glue fillets this weekend and then I have to find a place to prime and paint this thing.

Because the slots in the tube are soo long. They tend to flex outward. And because of that getting the Centering rings to tack properly is a bit nerve racking. So I mocked up the motor tube and the fins into the rocket and marked the motor tube. And then glue the motor tube and centering rings. Let them cure for 24 hours. Did another fillet of glue let sit another 24 hours. Finally when installing the motor tube/centering ring combo I did my glue and then used rubber bands to hold the body tube in place to the motor mount. Its a great kit. Im very happy with it. Just think if I was designing it I would have made each fin have dual mounting tabs so the body tube wasnt flexing out so much. Ill finish my glue fillets this weekend and then I have to find a place to prime and paint this thing.

Excellent.

Thanks.

Were your fins warped? Mine are, though they are so big it seems inevitable. Thanks for the tips!

Vander-Burn had a few more Estes clones that Launch Lab apparently chose not to carry. Looks like the Cherokee H and the Hi-Flier XXL are the only ones still carried; I have both/built.

If you prefer fiberglass, Wildman has a Cherokee with a 54mm mmt.
It's just an issue with getting parts, and doing so efficiently. Still working on bringing back the clones! MDRM goes in and out of stock as I can obtain parts too!

I'm a big fan of this design. Built an upscale scratch build from Estes PSII 2" diameter components. Photo shows that with a BT60 Estes build as well as this 3 inch upscale discussed here. Very nice kit with excellent components for $95. The vinyl alone is $28. The nosecone should have been 5:1, but it still looks good.

Attachments

• E9AA774B-8232-4598-A195-51284660A82A.heic
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Back