Hi there, looking for advice

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshall1048

Reaction score
Hi there, I have just moved back to the UK as i have some medical issues that stop me from doing water sports any more, so wanted to do something that interests me.
I have decided to take up designing, building and flying my own rockets. I have A levels in Chemistry, physics and Maths. degree level physics and spent most of my career as the engineer at the school i worked for so more than used to manufacturing things to solve problems. Guessed this would be a good foundation for rocketry.

I will naturally start small and get larger but already have some ideas for materials and designs on how to make it and how i want to propel it. I just wanted some info on the steps i have to go through so im not breaking any laws etc.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there, I have just moved back to the UK as i have some medical issues that stop me from doing water sports any more, so wanted to do something that interests me.
I have decided to take up designing, building and flying my own rockets. I have A levels in Chemistry, physics and Maths. degree level physics and spent most of my career as the engineer at the school i worked for so more than used to manufacturing things to solve problems. Guessed this would be a good foundation for rocketry.

I will naturally start small and get larger but already have some ideas for materials and designs on how to make it and how i want to propel it. I just wanted some info on the steps i have to go through so im not breaking any laws etc.

You're not going to get much advice on making propellants here. This is primarily an American forum, and the only discussion about propellants happens on a restricted section only available to US citizens. So the best advice I can give about not breaking UK explosive laws is either find out what the laws are from someone qualified in UK explosive law, or forget making your own propellant.

Find a club. Where in the UK do you live? You could also join the United Kingdom Rocketry Association:
https://www.ukra.org.uk/

Either way, you're likely to get useful advice.

One thing I can suggest is try working on hybrids. From what I've been told by people who have been building them, the rules on these are not as strict as for explosive motors.

Back