Hi, My Daughter and I, new to TRF...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKailas Dad

Reaction score
My daughter, McKaila, 5 years old, and I, started our rocket hobby on November 8, 09. Our first was an Estes Alpha 3 that my wife had picked up for us. It was a surprize because I had only mentioned rockets once or twice, from back when I launched them in Middle School.

We are from Watertown, Wisconsin. Kinda out in the country, theres a corn/bean field across the street from where we live, maybe 5 acres. Theres also a 7 to 10 acre 'dog run' about a 5 minute walk down the road.

After assembling and waiting a day or so for the glue to dry:confused2:, we loaded up the Alpha with an A8-3 for its first flight. My wife, our two daughters, McKailas friend Delaney, and I, first launched the Alpha at the dog run. Sunny, unseasonably warm, not much wind...three beautiful flights! Needless to say, we all had a blast! :rolleyes: She and I have been hooked ever since. McKaila and I went back later that same day, I'll get back to you on the fourth flight...

I'll just leave this as an introduction for now, we have lots of pictures, videos and stories to share! I need to figure out that upload/youtube thing...(tease/hint; nearly 50 launch videos!) :pop: I think we may be here awhile...here we go!

You're one of us now, HA HA HA HA!:D Seriously, welcome. Though I never fully left the Hobby, I too gained (regained :confused2: ) a full head of steam when I started flying with my kids. Enjoy.

Welcome to rocketry and welcome to TRF :) You're going to love both!

Keep us posted, ask questions, share your adventures and don't be a stranger!

jim

Hey, another rocketeer with a 5-year old helper! Awesome! I have a feeling we should enjoy our daughters' enthusiasm while we can. They'll be 16 some day, and we'll have to retrieve our own rockets then. :y:

Welcome aboard!

Last edited:
Welcome. Hope you are having fun. Feel free to ask questions. Everyone here is very helpful!

Welcome to model rocketry! (Again?! ;))

My daughter just turned 7 months old, and I am happily looking forward to the day that she can begin coming out with me to enjoy my hobby.

My friend started bringing his daughter out the the RC flying field (my other hobby) at 1.5 years old. She is over 2 now, and she is even getting interested in learning how to control the planes - of course very rudimentrally.

Again, welcome.

My daughter, McKaila, 5 years old, and I, started our rocket hobby on November 8, 09. Our first was an Estes Alpha 3 that my wife had picked up for us. It was a surprize because I had only mentioned rockets once or twice, from back when I launched them in Middle School.

We are from Watertown, Wisconsin. Kinda out in the country, theres a corn/bean field across the street from where we live, maybe 5 acres. Theres also a 7 to 10 acre 'dog run' about a 5 minute walk down the road.

After assembling and waiting a day or so for the glue to dry:confused2:, we loaded up the Alpha with an A8-3 for its first flight. My wife, our two daughters, McKailas friend Delaney, and I, first launched the Alpha at the dog run. Sunny, unseasonably warm, not much wind...three beautiful flights! Needless to say, we all had a blast! :rolleyes: She and I have been hooked ever since. McKaila and I went back later that same day, I'll get back to you on the fourth flight...

I'll just leave this as an introduction for now, we have lots of pictures, videos and stories to share! I need to figure out that upload/youtube thing...(tease/hint; nearly 50 launch videos!) :pop: I think we may be here awhile...here we go!

Welcome back :D Welcome to your daughter! AND WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Feel free to ask questions! there are one or two people around here that know about rockets ;)

Nice picture too! Estes patriot. Good descision:D love that kit.

Welcome I'm sure you will like it here :) I am looking forward to the pictures and videos:)
Cheers
fred

Thanks for the welcome! It seems we may fit in fine here.

Hey, another rocketeer with a 5-year old helper! Awesome! I have a feeling we should enjoy our daughters' enthusiasm while we can. They'll be 16 some day, and we'll have to retrieve our own rockets then. :y:

Welcome aboard!

Now I don't feel so bad, I thought I may have started her too young... She actually has fun launching rockets, (Mommy has asked her when I'm not around.)

Welcome back Welcome to your daughter! AND WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Feel free to ask questions! there are one or two people around here that know about rockets

Nice picture too! Estes patriot. Good descision love that kit.
4th February 2010 10:17 AM

Good eye, UPscaler. I wasn't sure you guys would catch that Patriot already... I guess that means we didn't quit after we lost our Alpha.:eek: I guess we may as well show a pic of our second rocket, since the cats out of the bag anyway.

Yes, the Alphas fourth flight. My mistake I guess, I had no idea a B6-2 would have sent it so far...I knew as soon as we heard the 'Ignition' that it was not a good idea:bangpan:. Barely saw the ejection charge, and to say we saw it on its heavenly descent at terminal velocity would be a lie. We wandered around for better than a half hour, but lost daylight. The next day, we continued our search and rescue, but eventually realized our Estes Alpha 3 was likely ingested by the swamp :dark:...

Ive got the entire 2010 WOOSH Launch Schedule up on the fridge. So far McKaila and I have been to Bong Rec Area on Jan.23 and to Sod Farm on Feb.6th, our first time at both launches.

You guys are a LOT more tough than I am!
Yes, my daughter is a trooper! Snowpants, jacket, scarf, hat, mittens and boots is her mandatory launching attire. We have launched in 10-12 degrees, even colder at night.
Wisconsin, remember?;)

I know, I know, VIDEOS! I'll start a New post soon...Besides, Youtube is down right now.:confused:

2-3-10 006.jpg

Ive got the entire 2010 WOOSH Launch Schedule up on the fridge. So far McKaila and I have been to Bong Rec Area on Jan.23 and to Sod Farm on Feb.6th, our first time at both launches.
And you're always welcome. We run the sod farm launches year 'round. It was a bit chilly in January (I think the high that day was 10 DegF). Once the snow is gone, the Bong launches are well attended, and you'll see motors in size from A to M.

We have determined that use of the popcorn icon indicates an enjoyable spectacle, but don't sit too close.

And you're always welcome. We run the sod farm launches year 'round. It was a bit chilly in January (I think the high that day was 10 DegF). Once the snow is gone, the Bong launches are well attended, and you'll see motors in size from A to M.

Chilly? That is not chilly sir:) This january it got down to -54F and we could not see any sod because it was buried under a couple of feet of ice and snow :)
Cheers
fred

Chilly? That is not chilly sir:) This january it got down to -54F and we could not see any sod because it was buried under a couple of feet of ice and snow :)
Cheers
fred

How far North in Alberta do you live?!!? -54F ???

:eyepop:

Fort McMurray and thats 56 north. It was -48C a few nights which i guess translates into -54F?
Cheers
fred

Like mentioned above, WHOOSH is not too far of a drive for you. But if you ever find yourself a little west in Minneapolis with a box of rockets, feel free to fly with us: MASA - Minnesota Amateur Spacemodeler Association

www.masa-rocketry.org

GuyNoir said:
You might want to check out the WHOOSH launches in the spring

FatBoy said:
Like mentioned above, WHOOSH is not too far of a drive for you.

Just "WOOSH", guys. Wisconsin Organization Of Spacemodeling Hobbyists :)

Back