Hi from Mass

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm just re-starting my rocketry journey after flying Estes kits as a kid. Now I have a couple little kids and just a few A engine flights with them and I'm already (re)hooked. I've got a LOC Graduator kit on the way, looking to get it together in time to fly at CMASS in April (my first time with them, a friend and much more experienced rocketeer suggested it). I've got an F20-7W on order to fly it with, but I'll have to figure out simulators and weigh it after it gets built. Do people usually go right for Epoxy for something like the graduator (2.6" diameter), I've seen a video using wood glue...

My "main" hobby right now is RC plane building/flying, so maybe I'll eventually think about combining them, either with RC chute release systems or RC glider recovery.

Looking forward to meeting people, especially around Boston.

I'm just re-starting my rocketry journey after flying Estes kits as a kid. Now I have a couple little kids and just a few A engine flights with them and I'm already (re)hooked. I've got a LOC Graduator kit on the way, looking to get it together in time to fly at CMASS in April (my first time with them, a friend and much more experienced rocketeer suggested it). I've got an F20-7W on order to fly it with, but I'll have to figure out simulators and weigh it after it gets built. Do people usually go right for Epoxy for something like the graduator (2.6" diameter), I've seen a video using wood glue...

My "main" hobby right now is RC plane building/flying, so maybe I'll eventually think about combining them, either with RC chute release systems or RC glider recovery.

Wood glue might be easier to work with for a first-time build at this scale, although I see no issue with epoxy construction. Just be safe and wear gloves.

Apogee seems to think that that F20-7Wis OK. I might upgrade to an F50-9T with epoxy construction but the simulator will tell you if this is strictly necessary.

Was leaning towards wood glue but...then I saw the coupler he will want epoxy for that, just go easy with it 😄 I would suggest open rocket as your simulator and bamboo skewers to apply glue

Welcome! If you feel the urge to fly on the 2nd Saturday of the month, feel free to join us down in RI. www.RIMRA.org

Looking forward to having you fly with us, plkap74. The field we use in Amesbury is beautiful and it should be warm enough you won't need your bunny hat.

Looking forward to having you fly with us, plkap74. The field we use in Amesbury is beautiful and it should be warm enough you won't need your bunny hat.
Any recommendation for best launch lug / rail button hardware to fit the launch equipment you use? I think the kit comes with a quarter inch launch lug. It seems like an F20 might have trouble getting it up to speed depending on the length of the launch rod, what size should I use for that in simulations?

For F motors, the 1/4” lug is fine. But if you want to go bigger, I suggest adding 1010 rail buttons. And nothing says you can’t have both buttons and a launch lug on the rocket.

I think the mid-power rail at CMASS is 6’ long.

Cheap rail buttons: www.rail-buttons.com

Welcome to the forum. I'm a member of CMASS, however I won't be able to make it in April as I have something else happening. I look forward to meeting you in Acton if you happen to be there in May. Good luck with the Graduator flight.

Was leaning towards wood glue but...then I saw the coupler he will want epoxy for that,

@plkap74, heed Rex’s point about the coupler if you go with wood glue. Wood glue will seize as you push the coupler into place, and it may not make it all the way in. I usually screw or bolt my couplers to the airframe nowadays, for serviceability.

I like epoxy for construction, just because I can depend on the cure time when building.

Use what you’re comfortable with.

Welcome to the forum and hobby! Echoing what others have already mentioned...wood glue is fine, but epoxy won't hurt either. I use both myself depending on my mood and what I'm building. Ditto on running 1/4 lug + rail buttons.

For places to fly (CMASS, RIMRA, CATO, SVRS)...we're pretty fortunate considering our proximity to population centers and abundance of trees. I'm in western MA so CATO is closer for me. Definitely hit me up if you're ever out this way.

Any recommendation for best launch lug / rail button hardware to fit the launch equipment you use? I think the kit comes with a quarter inch launch lug. It seems like an F20 might have trouble getting it up to speed depending on the length of the launch rod, what size should I use for that in simulations?
BDB is right; CMASS does have both 4' and 6' 1/4" rods. We also have lots of 1010 rails so buttons wouldn't be a bad addition to your bird.

Hope to say "hi" in Amesbury, next month. Welcome back to the fold!

So do your kids have their own rockets, or do they just enjoy watching you with yours at the moment?

Back