Hi-Flier HPR fully custom build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atrobinson

Reaction score
I know you have all been waiting with baited breath for my next construction fiasco, and here it is: a completely custom build of the Estes Hi-Flier XL with all high-power rocketry (HPR) parts. After the premature demise of Amethyst Witch Mk I (Hi-Flier XL converted for MPR) and the Amethyst Witch Mk II (same, see https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?55471), having absolutely nothing to do with the construction of the kit (Mk I went down to a CATO due to improperly constructed RMS motor; Mk II to a snapped 1mm Kevlar shock cord), I decided I should build one from scratch.

To be original, I call it the Hi-Flier HPR. No some of you will be disappointed that I didn't scale the model up. It is longer than the Estes Hi-Flier XL, but is a 38mm body tube and 29mm motor mount rather than BT-60/24mm. But everything is built using HPR-designed components, including the body tubes, motor tube, centering rings, etc.

I wanted the option to fly this rocket with 24mm or 29mm motors all the way up to 29/360 (I200 in Aerotech's line). The original conversion was 24mm only, so I didn't worry too much about fin attachment--reinforcing the fins with CA and attaching them securely seemed sufficient, and the fins survived well--including Mk II's uncontrolled descent through some trees). In the new kit, possibly flying it up to I motors, I wanted a much stronger attachment--so I designed a customer through-the-wall (TTW) fin set in RockSim (see photo 2).

I also wanted the option to convert this to a two-stage, air-start rocket (don't ask why). That didn't work out as I'll explain later, but photos 1 and 3 show how I fit the air start wire guide into the very narrow space between the 29mm motor tube and the 38mm body tube.

Photo 1 - This is the completed MMT with airstart conduit and 2mm Kevlar shock cord attached. The attachment for the shock cord is a 4-40 screw eye that is "closed" with epoxy. This is a potential failure point, but a bigger screw eye wouldn't fit. A better alternative would be a tapped forward closure with a "real" screw eye--but a) as this isn't available for 24mm, and b) as initial launches will be 24mm only, and c) this type of attachment worked well on Mk I, I'll risk it for now.

HFXXL#1.jpg

Photo 3 - Yes, this is out of sequence. Photo 3 shows the airstart conduit. It's a 5/32" ID brass tube (3/16" OD) pounded to a flat 5/32". This allows my 24 gauge two-conductor wire to fit but also fits between the motor tube and the body tube. I cut slots out of the centering rings to accommodate the conduit. These slots were reinforced with CA, and once the tube is in place there is no substantial loss of strength in the MMT assembly.

This effort of putting the conduit in place was for naught, by the way: I installed an AeroPack 29mm retainer and lo and behold the outer ring does not fit inside a 38mm body tube--so the 1" offset between the end of the body tube and the aft centering ring for a staging coupler became a 1/2" offset with no room for a staging coupler (even when the other ring of the retainer isn't attached, a 38mm coupler will not fit between the inner ring and the inside of the body tube.

Of course there are other stage coupling methods of which I may avail myself, and there is (barely) enough room between the retainer inner ring and the body tube to thread an airstart wire through the conduit (will have to friction-fit the motor in that case.

HFXXL#3.jpg

Photo 2 - These are the custom fins. They are designed in RockSim to be pretty much an exact match to the stock balsa fins, but they are made of basswood and have TTW tabs as shown (the Estes stock fin is at the left).

I cut these out from the bassword stock using a scroll saw, which is definitely sub-optimal for this sort of thing. But using small clamps and another piece of straight stock, I was able to get the cuts straight, and was able to sand everything down to fairly constant dimensions. There are a few mistakes, but those can be solved with epoxy clay ;-)

I rounded the edges using a Dremel router table and a Dremel 1/4" radius bit. That worked very well.

HFXXL#2.jpg

Photo 4 - It's good to show my failures as well as my successes (well, so far everything I have posted either hasn't flown or has failed). But these fin slots are an abortion. I tried two methods using an Estes BT-60 body tube for practice: using a Dremel router table (about $30) and a Dremel drill press/workstation (about $80).

The Dremel 1/8" slotting bit works great.

The router is tough because you can't see where you are in the cut--but I did get to the point where my slots were quite straight, and I could extend them slightly by hand if I didn't make them long enough. The router table has a fence that makes straight cuts fairly easy.

The drill press method is easier from the perspective that you can see your work, but there is no fence--and I wasn't able to easily construct a guide or jig with materials I had on hand. I never succeeded in getting very straight edges on my slots with the drill press.

Of course I used the drill press method to cut the slots in these heavy duty body tubes. They are UGLY. But again, I did nothing that can't be covered up with epoxy clay or epoxy + microballoons.

HFXXL#4.jpg

In the next set of photos you'll be amazed by the completed (but not finished) lower body, avionics bay (designed for Raven 3), and upper body.

Hello nice build so far . I'm building my L1 maga Hi flyer in the hp . It's a 6.5 up scale 4.25 air frame 27 inch long fins . The nose cone is 18 inches long . Great rocket will be fun

Sounds awesome, Chris... Post some photos! I wanted a smaller rocket that could fly on 24mm motors in smaller fields, so scaling up was out of the question. The Hi-Flier HPR "Sandblaster" (see below) weights 13-14oz and will get a respectable altitude on E motors. On an I200 it will go much higher than any field I have at my disposal will support ;-)

I lied earlier--here are photos of the (almost) finished product.

1. Fin fillets were accomplished with West Systems 105/206 and microballoons--came out great, and covered the defects in those butt-ugly fin slots.
  2. Base paint was Krylon metallic silver--I like that paint: goes on fast and dries to a usable state quickly.
  3. I masked off the leading edges of the fins and the nose cone to keep them silver
  4. The rest of rocket is painted in a Krylon "stone" finish. This will raise hell with laminar flow, but I am getting extremely frustrated trying to achieve that lustrous perfect finish that everyone else seems to achieve, so I decided to go hard the other way. That means I only needed one coat of primer and the base coat, and defects in the fins, body tubes, etc., are now invisible.
  5. The 2" avionics bay for the Raven 3 is not really intended to be a tube coupler. The Blue Tube coupler is a loose fit in the LOC 38mm tube, so I use 4 2-26 nylon shear pins to keep things straight.
  6. Unlike my previous Hi-Flier conversions, I am using dual-compartment dual deployment this time. 12" chute as a drogue at apogee, followed by an 18" or 24" main at 300-400 feet.
  7. The AeroPack retainer is almost like a tail cone in this configuration, as it is pretty much an exact match to the OD of the LOC 38mm tube.
  8. The rocket has a stability margin of between 3.8 and 6.9 depending on the engine you load, so stability is not an issue. An E18 will produce flights of 700-800 feet; An I200 will produce flights of 6,000-7,000 feet. The low ends of those ranges are adjusted for drag loss to the rough finish material.

Here are some pictures. It isn't very photogenic, but from an artistic perspective my local critics really like the finish. They don't care that a rough, asphalt-like finish is not very aerodynamic ;-)

Photo 5 - The pieces: nose cone, aft body tube (apogee recovery & MMT), upper body tube (payload & main recovery), and avionics bay. The bay has a single 3/32" static port and four holes for shear pins.

HFXXL#5.jpg

Photo 6 - A rear view (not very well focused) showing the AeroPack retainer. You may recall I originally designed the motor mount as recessed with an air start conduit so I could convert it to two-stage--but the AeroPack retainers are too wide to fit inside the 38mm body tube, much less leaving any room for a coupler. So that part of the project is on hold.

HFXXL#6.jpg

Photo 7 - The assembled, finished rocket.

HFXXL#7.jpg

Last edited:
That is a very unique paint job. I like how it came out.

If you ever wanted to smooth it out, I would think multiple clear coats with sanding in between would build up a nice gloss.

Hello the thread is in the hpr section . The maga Hi Flyer getting ready to start cutting the fins

Back