Hi everyone!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Late Skies

Reaction score
Hello, I am a current 4th year engineering student from Las Vegas, Nevada. I am the current president of SEDS-UNLV and have been looking through this forum ever since my interest in rocketry about a year and a half ago. I'm currently L1 certified through Tripoli after flying my first-ever rocket on an Aerotech H169 motor last year. The flight was a gleaming success and consisted of a LOC kit rocket that reached an altitude of roughly 2k' (as far as I know). Currently, I'm working on both a solid rocket motor project as well as a liquid engine in the club that I lead. My goal is to eventually graduate and work in the private space industry on propulsion design for whatever company will have me but love the hobby as well and would love to go on to get my L3.

If all goes according to plan I will be attempting my L2 cert within the next couple of months on a scratch-built MD fiberglass rocket with surface-mounted G10 fins (have yet to decide if a carbon fiber wrap is necessary given its peak velocity hovering around Mach 1.8). I will most likely be on here with many questions for the many veterans in the hobby and appreciate the wealth of knowledge here. Thank you for having me!

Hello, I am a current 4th year engineering student from Las Vegas, Nevada. I am the current president of SEDS-UNLV and have been looking through this forum ever since my interest in rocketry about a year and a half ago. I'm currently L1 certified through Tripoli after flying my first-ever rocket on an Aerotech H169 motor last year. The flight was a gleaming success and consisted of a LOC kit rocket that reached an altitude of roughly 2k' (as far as I know). Currently, I'm working on both a solid rocket motor project as well as a liquid engine in the club that I lead. My goal is to eventually graduate and work in the private space industry on propulsion design for whatever company will have me but love the hobby as well and would love to go on to get my L3.

If all goes according to plan I will be attempting my L2 cert within the next couple of months on a scratch-built MD fiberglass rocket with surface-mounted G10 fins (have yet to decide if a carbon fiber wrap is necessary given its peak velocity hovering around Mach 1.8). I will most likely be on here with many questions for the many veterans in the hobby and appreciate the wealth of knowledge here. Thank you for having me!
Welcome!

Have you got pictures of these fine rockets?

Welcome!

Have you got pictures of these fine rockets?
I have a picture and a video of my L1 cert! Unfortunately, my L2 is still in pieces but I will be sure to make a post detailing that when the time comes.

L1 rocket
L1 resize.jpg
View attachment L1 Flight.mov
Here is a video of the most recent static fire we did in SEDS, it was a failure but we learned a valuable lesson about nozzle throat diameter.

Welcome to the Forum. Greetings from Pahrump. I saw you flew your L1 at Jean Dry Lake bed. Come on by and say high. I drive a black Explorer with a scooter lift. I hope the December launch is better than this months. About 40F degrees and a 20 mph wind. Burrrr.

Welcome, neighbor! Enjoy the forum. It's a great place to get advice, and show off your builds. Do you launch from the dry lake bed down by Jean?
My apologies for taking so long to get back to you, but yes we do! Tripoli holds monthly launches out there and our members are usually there for every launch. We also hold our static fires there albeit when nobody is around.

My apologies for taking so long to get back to you, but yes we do! Tripoli holds monthly launches out there and our members are usually there for every launch. We also hold our static fires there albeit when nobody is around.
No wonder... ! NO I'M JUST TEASING!!! I'd have given my eyeteeth to have been doing that in college. I'm tied up chasing down a silly +/- sign error in a calculation, or I'd tell you about my televised rocket-based failure from my freshman year (1973-74).

Last edited:
Back