Hey UK members

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke

Reaction score
Hi. I asked for this section for any UK specific questions and discussions.

Why not start it off by finding out how many of us here are from the UK. I currently live just outside of London, originally from the West Midlands. I intend to fly both areas.

Hi Luke,

I'm in Bristol, well Portishead to be correct. Nice going on getting us our own little section.

Where and who is the place to shop in the UK?

Pete

Hi Pete.

My parents are from Bristol. Fortunately I didn't pick up the accent! ha.

I have previously used for low power stuff;

https://www.modelrockets.co.uk/shop/

I am aware of, but have yet to use;

https://www.rocketsandthings.com

And found these guys for the first time last week, intend to pick some bits up from them very soon so will keep you posted;

https://www.gbrockets.co.uk/store/

For the last couple of years I have been ordering from Apogee in the states, making a big list to save on multiple postage. Even with postage and customs charges I have found on occasion it is still cheaper/same price as shopping in the UK, however the guys in the states are blessed with far better variety.

Hi Pete.

My parents are from Bristol. Fortunately I didn't pick up the accent! ha.

I have previously used for low power stuff;

https://www.modelrockets.co.uk/shop/

I am aware of, but have yet to use;

https://www.rocketsandthings.com

And found these guys for the first time last week, intend to pick some bits up from them very soon so will keep you posted;

For the last couple of years I have been ordering from Apogee in the states, making a big list to save on multiple postage. Even with postage and customs charges I have found on occasion it is still cheaper/same price as shopping in the UK, however the guys in the states are blessed with far better variety.

Hi Luke,

Have used Model Rockets before. Fact when it was ran by Andy back in the day. Not used them yet.

Used Rocket & Thing loads. Also way back in the day when it was Tony running it.

3rd link is new and will check them out!

I just live here, Northamptonshire is my home town.

Like wise with ordering from the USA. I've been lucky to make friends with someone there who has offered me recently to ship my items to him then to me. Shame I can't get motors over

Lucky guy!

It would be good in future to try and organise a group order with a number of people in order to spread the costs involved in importing.

Lucky guy!

It would be good in future to try and organise a group order with a number of people in order to spread the costs involved in importing.

Sounds like a plan. Your welcome to add to an order of stuff i am building. (3 of each pro series estes kits).

Problem with a group order is making sure no one gets stiffed.

Sounds like a plan. Your welcome to add to an order of stuff i am building. (3 of each pro series estes kits).

Problem with a group order is making sure no one gets stiffed.

Very kind of you Pete. I am mostly into scratch building, as I love the engineering side of the hobby more than the flying. I have just ordered the last few bits I need for now, however I'm constantly 'gathering' bits for future, so let me know next time you're thinking of an Apogee or other stateside order, I would gratefully come in on it with you.

I agree there are issues with group orders, but I like to think it's a relatively friendly hobby & forum, equally each person in the group would have to meet some kind of 'vetting' procedure.

Very kind of you Pete. I am mostly into scratch building, as I love the engineering side of the hobby more than the flying. I have just ordered the last few bits I need for now, however I'm constantly 'gathering' bits for future, so let me know next time you're thinking of an Apogee or other stateside order, I would gratefully come in on it with you.

I agree there are issues with group orders, but I like to think it's a relatively friendly hobby & forum, equally each person in the group would have to meet some kind of 'vetting' procedure.

Currently have an order with Dave at ARR for a custom kit for my L1 & L2 in Blue Tue 2.0. 400% upscale of a Custom Rocket Redline.

Paypal can cover if funds sent correctly. I'm sure we can find ways!

I will have to look at Apogee's website

very nice! Keep me posted, I am interested to see what you get. Funnily enough it's full length blue tube I was after from this GB rockets, I want to make some of my own carbon fibre tubes and need them for mandrels. Never heard of blue tube 2.0!

Hey guys, Hank the Yank here. Got that nickname from a Brit (Stephen McNichols) back when he and I used to trade Grateful Dead music; he even shipped music to me using that name, lol, and the Post Office delivered it. Anyways, I think it was Pyropete that was looking for those rotary switches and I was gonna PM him and volunteer to ship to him when I saw this section of the forums. I would like to extend my help, if you need it.

very nice! Keep me posted, I am interested to see what you get. Funnily enough it's full length blue tube I was after from this GB rockets, I want to make some of my own carbon fibre tubes and need them for mandrels. Never heard of blue tube 2.0!

https://www.alwaysreadyrocketry.com/product-category/blue-tube-2-0/

Everything cut, slotted to make my upscale from Dave.

Parts list

1 3.9” x 30” Airframe
2 3.9 x 20” Airframe
1 54mm x 26” Airframe/MMT
1 3.9” x 8” Coupler
3 3.9 x 54 Centering Rings
3 3.9” AF Bukplate with eye bolt
1 3.9” E-Bay
1 3.9” Ogive Nosecone
1 3.9/54 Aeroopack Tailcone Retainer Blk
1 54/38 Adapter
3 CNC Slots
3 CNC Fins

Have just taken delivery of my shock cords from Ted (onebadhawk) and wow!

Hey guys, Hank the Yank here. Got that nickname from a Brit (Stephen McNichols) back when he and I used to trade Grateful Dead music; he even shipped music to me using that name, lol, and the Post Office delivered it. Anyways, I think it was Pyropete that was looking for those rotary switches and I was gonna PM him and volunteer to ship to him when I saw this section of the forums. I would like to extend my help, if you need it.

Hi Hank,

I don't recall anything about switches if I'm honest. Fire me a PM anyway dude. Luke maybe we can do a group order us 2 and have Hank send it over.

It may have been me. I have been after a switch for the last few weeks, but just found a rotary one in the UK for about £3. Also have one of the magnetic switches on it's way to me from fruity chutes. Along with my deployment bag and cable cutter. L1 and first dual deploy...exciting times!

It may have been me. I have been after a switch for the last few weeks, but just found a rotary one in the UK for about £3. Also have one of the magnetic switches on it's way to me from fruity chutes. Along with my deployment bag and cable cutter. L1 and first dual deploy...exciting times!

Sounds pretty cool Luke!

Hi All,

Good to see a UK section. I am from the UK (Hertforshire to be specific) but am currently living and launching Down Under. That said, I visit home regularly and try to get launches in over there if I can. My last launch over there was International Rocket Week in 2012. I'll probably not be flying in the UK this year, but hope catch up with any UK fliers who travel to BALLS in September.

Cheers,

Chris Barnes

Prefect Tripoli NSW

Finally a UK specific forum - been looking all over for one.

Based in Cambridgeshire here, about a mile from EARS launch site :)

The last two launch dates have had to be cancelled at short notice due to the crappy weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Patrick at gbrockets is fine. Ordered a fair size box of stuff from them including a few PML tubes. No problem at all and very well packed. Recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back