Hey, Tool Guys

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many rocket engines do you have at home??

• 0-15

• 16-30

• 31-45

• 46-60

• 61-75

• 76-90

• 91-105

• 106-120

• 121-135

• 136+

• 0-15

• 16-30

• 31-45

• 46-60

• 61-75

• 76-90

• 91-105

• 106-120

• 121-135

• 136+

Results are only viewable after voting.

nomopbo

Reaction score
I have started to add bench top tools to my collection. I just got a drill press for 70 bucks at Lowes. One problem. The table clamp doesn't tighten down to keep the table from moving. I tried pulling it together with vice grips, then tightening the clamp, but it just opened back up. I tried to slip a thin piece of cardboard in between the clamp and that didn't work...
I could make a longer clamp with a little longer bolt with out too much hassle.

What do you think? Bum equipment and I should take it back.
or You get what you pay for, deal with it.

I don't much care how much or how little I pay for equipmet...if it doesn't work as advertised...they get it back.

Sorry.

sandman

ditto what sandman said.

If, for example i locate a type of tool that can be purchased with 1 feature or 2, I expect the version with only 1 feature to be cheaper *but*, that *1* feature better be as functional as the same feature in the higher priced model.

My opinion is that junk gets returned. If the item is so low in price *because* it is junk, then my purchasing it simply means that i've now discovered that they sell junk. I still want my money back though, and they can keep their junk.

my 2 cents

jim

PS: It has happened on more occations than I can count, by the way, that the *junky* item winds up working better than the high-end item :)

I agree. If it doesn't work right it's not worth keeping, however, check ahead and see if you can exchange just the clamp if you are happy with the rest of the unit.

A lot of factors come into whether I'll buy a tool or piece of equipment. If I go bargain basement and it doesn't work, shame on me, if I go top shelf and it doesn't work shame on them. Fortunatly having to work with so many tools at work I have a pretty good idea of who/what to avoid. And I have the luxury of knowing what the top of the line tools are and their cost, so when I see a bargain, I'm there. Research, research, research. Returning a piece of s-crap is not worth my time, I'm not buying a piece of garbage hoping to save money, then wasting an afternoon returning it. If you don't expect much, don't pay much. There are folks in other forums who will gladly give you an honest synopsis of almost any piece of equipment, they have the experience, and once in awhile I will also yield to their wisdom, it's all a part of the research.

check out the Harbor Freight sale (on through Apr 10)

they have a 'Central Machiner' 5 speed bench drill press for $40 (half price) item no. 38119/44506

I have not used one of these and cannot vouch for the quality of the merchandise but it may be worth checking if there is one of these stores anywhere near you?

(the cynical side of me would remark that this is probably the same manufacturer that is being sold at Lowes)

I make my living working with machine tools, hand tools, computers and computer software. There's nothing in this world that irks me more than a piece of equipment that does not work the way it should or somebody making a promise they have no intention of keeping.
That's what my signature is about.
So, if you pay hard earned money for an item or services that don't measure up to what you were led to expect, do what I do:

Take it back to the seller; Tell the seller to come get it and bring a new one; Or just come get the thing and bring a refund.

I got fed up with my crummy inexpensive drill press and got a nice new one at Sears last weekend. I was supposed to be shopping for work clothes but the "rocket tax" demanded to be paid!

My gut tells me to return it too.
I am pretty tired of getting bent over.
I am just afraid to bring home another drillpress, only to find it in the same condition as the one I returned. Then I have to pack it up again!

Maybe I will just take it back and check out the $40.00 Harbor Freight drill press. (No HF near me though)

I know you get what you pay for, and you can't go wrong buying quality. I am trying to get several things I really shouldn't be spending money on at the moment:D so I am cutting corners. I figure a cheap drillpress, cheap sander, and cheap bandsaw better be able to handle some balsa, cardboard, and aircraft plywood!!:kill:

I say return it too.

It's true that "you get what you pay for", but even the cheapest, lowest-end piece of equipment should be expected to operate properly (and safely).

I'm tired of stores that sell cheaply made tools at bargain-basement prices, which break easily and/or never operate properly. Returning it to the store makes perfectly good economic sense, because it makes them aware of the product's defects and forces them to factor in the cost of handling returns when they decide to carry a particular product. In the long run, you are doing everyone a favor by making the business think twice about dumping inferior merchandise on the public.

Check this out.
On a whim I threaded the bolt through from the left side (I'm not a lefty) just to see...Bingo! It worked...go figure:confused:

Now, let me get you tool guys opinion on something else.
This is the Drill Press I thought I picked up.
https://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/gmcls13dp.htm
Which is a 1/3 Horse Power
Fine print revealed I actually picked up a 1/6 horse power!!! ERRRR (tool newb):p
Is that worth a fart in a whirlpool??? (I have 30 days to try it out)
Thanks guys!

Originally posted by nomopbo
Which is a 1/3 Horse Power
Fine print revealed I actually picked up a 1/6 horse power!!! ERRRR (tool newb):p
Is that worth a fart in a whirlpool??? (I have 30 days to try it out)
Thanks guys! [/B]

Got it to work, cool!

I have a 1/3 horsepower drill press from Sears. It does "o.k." but where it falls short is on torque for cutting CR's. Using a circle cutter to make a 4" CR, it had to be fed *ever so gently* or it would bind up, in just 3/32" plywood. But, this was my worst-case scenario cutting job, a 29mm CR for a V-2, and mostly I only cut up to 2.6" stuff, which it handles o.k.

I'd suggest giving it your own "worst-case scenario" test, and see how it does.

THIS THING IS OFFICIALLY A PIECE-O-POOP!!!!!
Now the lasers don't work!

VJP, sounds like I shouldn't go below 1/3 HP anyway.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Originally posted by nomopbo
THIS THING IS OFFICIALLY A PIECE-O-POOP!!!!!
Now the lasers don't work!

VJP, sounds like I shouldn't go below 1/3 HP anyway.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Hey, try this - reverse the batteries in the battery holder.

I once bought a laser pointer which had the polarity hooked up backwards. Had to install the batteries backwards for it to work. Since a laser diode is just that - a diode - you can't harm it by hooking it up backwards, it will just block the current flow. So you have nothing to lose by trying!

Originally posted by vjp
I have a 1/3 horsepower drill press from Sears. It does "o.k." but where it falls short is on torque for cutting CR's. Using a circle cutter to make a 4" CR, it had to be fed *ever so gently* or it would bind up, in just 3/32" plywood. But, this was my worst-case scenario cutting job, a 29mm CR for a V-2, and mostly I only cut up to 2.6" stuff, which it handles o.k.

I probably have the exact same drill press you do, vjp, and I have the exact same problem! :mad: :mad: When mine binds up, some times the entire chuck will come off! Does yours do this?

You know, what really ticks me off is that I didn't buy the drill press. My parents bought it for me for my birthday!!! Now it's pretty much good for nothing! :mad:

:kill:

Jason

Back