Hey POTROCS members?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikus

Reaction score
I grew up in Amarillo, spent one year at Tascosa before moving to Houston.

We had a question concerning launch rod angles and the wind after our last, windy, launch and I thought that if there's somebody with major experience regarding rocket launching and the wind... well, it would be y'all.

Can you pass along some pointers about how you deal with the wind? Data on launch rod angles would be most beneficial. :)

Thanks!!!

I have flown in Argonia and Amarillo many times,very windy. other windy places to0, up to 30-35mph.
I personally use motors with a lot of oomph in the wind, and the longest rod or rail I can find to help get the rocket up to speed before leaving the pad.

I want the rail/rod to be as straight as possible letting the rocket find its own trajectory. If it does weather cock a little, the wind will bring it back.

By angling the rail/rod in heavy wind, you risk the chance of increasing the weathercocking angle and having a "rainbow" flight.

There are other factors that can make a big difference..... CP to CG ratio, length of rocket, and weight distribution.

This may sound contrary but it works. If a slight angling of the rail/rod DOWN wind is used, the rocket will then straighten up and fly true.
Checking with a aviation forecast center such as this one....

https://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/Wi...MA&Submit=Get+Forecast&hour=06&course=azimuth

https://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?Submit=Go&sta=KAMA&state=TX

will greatly enhance your chance of success. The wind is often very different at different altitudes, and knowing what they are at how high your flying is a great advantage! It will also help in finding a time of day with the best conditions. I find this site to be very accurate.

Last edited:
Back