Hey, Bowhunter! Pocahontas is famous!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenobi65

Reaction score
Bowhunter's hometown, Pocahontas IL, is featured in an article in today's Chicago Tribune.

It seems that a hot new country singer, Gretchen Wilson, used to live there, and has a song called "Pocahontas Proud." The article talks about Wilson, and about the town and its history.

Very cool.

Originally posted by jflis
YOWZA, you *lucky* man! :D

Well, that depends on whether he got to fly any rockets with her...

Bill

I've heard she dips. That's not a value judgement, just an observation...

1. Would she know you if you ran into her on the street?
2. How old is she?
3. Uh, could you hook me up?

Greg

Originally posted by 11Bravo
2. How old is she?
3. Uh, could you hook me up?

Greg

1. in a heartbeat (heart-pitter-patter :D )
2. not a clue
3. not a chance

:D

Originally posted by jflis

1. in a heartbeat (heart-pitter-patter :D )

How would she know you unless she was a rocketeer? :p

I am not impressed with someone growing up with or going to the same school with a famous person unless some kind of relationship persists to the present day. Before they become famous, people are pretty much the same as anyone else except for perhaps a special budding gift, drive or ambition.

Growing up in Texas, my brushes with pre-fame has been with football players. One of my classmates is Carl Birdsong who kicked for the Saint Louis Cardinals (long ago). Another classmate is the sister of Ralph Neeley of the Dallas Cowboys. I do not expect anybody to be impressed with this.

On the other hand, I have shaken hands with Colin Powell and Richard Feynman after they have become well established. I do not expect anybody to be impressed with these either.

Vern Estes, now that's a different story...but I have lots of company.

Bill

Originally posted by kenobi65
Bowhunter's hometown, Pocahontas IL, is featured in an article in today's Chicago Tribune.

*snicker*

Does anyone who lives in Pocahontas know the name is a Powhatan Renape word that means "spoiled brat"? That's how her father introduced her to the English. Her real name was Matoaka ("Little Snow Feather").

Not all the persistent misunderstandings can be blamed on the settlers. Her father never corrected them, so maybe she really was. I bet Chief Powhatan is still laughing.

Back