Hex 3 - super fast build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to build the Estes Hex-3 rocket. This will be a real quick build. And no filling of spirals/fins!!!!

This is a folded cardboard rocket.

First I cut out all of the pieces. I noticed when dry fitting that the white edge of the paper would show up, so I used a sharpie to color the edges
Below is a before and after shot.

IMG_2893.jpg IMG_2894.jpg

I folded and glue two of the fins. I have some smooth jaw hemostat that I am using to hold things while the glue dries. I noticed a bit of separation in the center. I did not want to just sit there holding it, and I was afraid to use tape and peel off some of the coloring from the fin. Instead, I used a rubber band and a dowel to apply some pressure.

IMG_2895.jpg

Two fins are drying (only can find 4 hemostats - I know I have 6). Last one tomorrow and the main body

les,
Let me know if you run into any problem when you push the motor mount through the body, PM me. There's a quick fix available if you need it.

Well - never was much good at following instructions....

Wanted so paint on the bottom to help protect it so a quick coat of paint

IMG_2896.jpg

Then while the paint was drying. I decided to add the legs (before the bottom plate). Used the hemostats to get a tight fit

IMG_2897.jpg

Then rather than glue the bottom plate on and then slip in the motor mount from the top, I slid the bottom plate over the mount, glued the plate on, then did a ring of glue and pushed the mount in from the bottom.

IMG_2898.jpg

I used some sharpies to color the bottom of the fins - and we are done.

IMG_2899.jpg IMG_2900.jpg

This is a simple little rocket that could be built in just a couple of hours - but I managed to stretch that out....

Your way makes more sense (gluing the base plate then sliding the mount up). How about sharpieing the top ring? Happy flying!

Latest posts

Back