Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsonly

Reaction score
Has anyone tried these? My family had a few bite size ones left over from Trick or Treating the other night, and I must say these are addicting! Has anyone ever seen a normal sized Special Dark Chocolate bar? I've been checking out local gas stations today and couldn't find any!

Special Dark has been around forever. Regular sized bars exist, but are seldom seen because of the war over shelf space (higher velocity candy gets the shelf space).
https://www.hersheys.com
https://www.hersheys.com/products/details/hersheysbar.asp

The web. Use it.

Originally posted by rocketsonly
Has anyone tried these? My family had a few bite size ones left over from Trick or Treating the other night, and I must say these are addicting! Has anyone ever seen a normal sized Special Dark Chocolate bar? I've been checking out local gas stations today and couldn't find any!

Btw, dark chocolate is supposed to be healthier than milk chocolate. Not that I care, I like the milk better too, but I do like the dark as well.

Glenn

Dark Chocolat Milky Way bars are pretty darn good too.

Try to find the Dove brand dark chocolate made by Mars (makers of M&M's, Mars, Snickers, and Twix). It's a little smoother and less bitter than Hershey's dark.

I once heard about a study that found that people who like dark chocolate tended to have made higher than average grades in high school.

I could have made higher grades, I just didn't want to. :D

Originally posted by shreadvector
The web. Use it.

Thank you for suggestion. I knew Hershey made them in bars, but I was wondering why my local gas stations did not have any.

American chocolate stinks...used to be better. Just try a cheap Nestle bar from Europe mmmmmm

Originally posted by rstaff3
American chocolate stinks...used to be better. Just try a cheap Nestle bar from Europe mmmmmm

I was hoping someone was going to mention that! US chocolate tastes like wax to me.

Well, I was in teh US today (Plattsburg, NY), and got a standard 'Hershey's with almonds'. They do taste different to what we get up here.

But rumour has it, that we Canandians, or Qweebecers in particular, like our chocolate extra sweet. And so, we have our chocolate specially made for the Quebec market. It is apparent with the Nestle 'Chunk' bar. first one I had, couldn't finish it! too sweet!!

There is some 'cheap' chocolate, that is very waxy, and with little 'actual' flavour. No real flavour.. period..

I myself am a dark choco fan. But I prefer Lindt (something liek that) and another Belgian brand. Their 'dark' is 70% cocoa. Mmmm....

No white chocolate!! Except Kindereggs, but it's jsut for the toy!

My wife found a 'PMS' bar in a speciality shop in Vancouver. Just what every woman needs..

Toblerones too, and Nestle too!

Oh, and our 'Mars bars' come in diferent varaieties: stnadard, darl, and with almonds. But I beleive you US folks call them 'Milky Way' bars..

Green M&Ms are aphrodisiacs, or so I'm told..

Dark Chocolate is proof positive that ecstacy can be found in a paper and foil wrapper. I like to dab just a bit of creamy peanut butter and wash it down with a glass of milk.

And yes, Reese's made a dark-chocolate peanut butter cup, it was fantastic and it has been DISCONTINUED~!:eek:

I always used to have good success finding dark choc in the form of a bag of those little drops/chips that they sell for cooking.
You can be a good boy, a responsible healthy adult, and eat one little drop at a time.
Or you can stuff the entire eight-ounce bag into your cheeks.

Originally posted by rocketsonly

Sharing my birthday with National Chocolate Day has helped me become quite the connness.... coniss.... appreciater. There are a couple chocolate makers producing 80%+ cocoa chocolate, ie. very very dark. Find some, and it'll be hard to go back to your standard kinds.

There's a guy in England making pure cocoa chocolate, without any of the added fats etc. that the major commercial chocolate factory companies claim makes it possible to produce (what they mean is "cheaply"). His costs between $15 and $20 a pound, just chocolate, not filled candies or anything. Even at those prices he's getting many more orders than he can fill.

Some of the things in chocolate that make you feel good are a class of chemicals called theobromines. This is from the Greek "theobroma", translated as "food of the gods". Another is phenylethylalanine, an endogenous neurochemical as powerful as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (like Prozac) as an anti-depressant. The secret elixer that kept Montezuma active into his 80s (with 70 some wives) was a chocolate drink (made with hot peppers -- go figure, cause I won't). Chocolate is powerful stuff.

I would think that having 70-some wives would kill you by about age 33 . . .

Another chocolate that I find unusually smooth and tasty is Albert's "Ice Cubes" from Germany. They're small squares wrapped in blue and silver foil and come in a round, clear plastic container. I usually find them sitting near or on the checkout counter at convenience stores. Winter is the best time to get them as they seem to melt at a lower temperature than American chocolates.

Here's some links to buy it.

https://www.candydirect.com/change/Ice-Cubes-Tub.html?PHPSESSID=3ee05ae542065a669c14ac906eef8072

https://www.oryans.com/icecubchocca.html

https://www.thechocolatestore.com/product-sizeprice.aspx?ProductID=17

Ah yes Ice Cubes . Way back when in the world far far away I seem to remember these little cubes . Seems to me it was about 1964 price ...well let see 2 for five cents .. :D Yummmy
My sweet tooth has paid for a few vacations for Dr. Painless:(

BAR
John

There's also Wilber's Chocolate out of Pennsylvania. The dark chocolate Wilber Buds are phenomenal!!!

Don't know if it's the same Wilber's, but years ago I worked in an office in Atlanta and went out to the news-stand to get a snack. They had a big Chocolate Bar called Wilber, or maybe it was Wilbur, either way I never heard of it before, but I figured what the heck, it's chocolate! Upon finishing the entire bar, I happened to glance at the wrapper and notice the words "contains laxatives." Well, you know the rest of the story...I just think this little item should be featured a little more prominently on the packaging, plus I thought it a little odd that this was being sold at the lobby newsstand, wouldn't you go to a pharmacy if you were looking for that kind of torture?

Glenn

You all are going to laugh at this, but I'm posting a picture of my recently purchased chocolate bars!

Kroger had them on sale for $1 each. They're normally $1.80 or something.

But I got 1x Hershey Special Dark, 3x Cadbury Royal Dark (made by Hershey, not sure if there is a difference), and 1x Cadbury Dairy Milk. This should last me a while.

It made me feel pretty sick carrying 1.5lbs of chocolate at the checkout line, but boy will it be goooodd.:D

Back