Here we go... wish us luck...!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steward

Reaction score

Well... the presure of the "big" club launch is over... so I can kick back and start some new projects...

Just started my "Cherokee D" clone... man, this makes me thirteen years old again...(I'm 50). Love the balsa nose cone...
just gonna take my time and do it justice... I have a couple of Estes D11-9s that oughta work... it should soar like the eagle that I perceive it to be...
I plan on keeping it real light... as light as possible... with say 40 or so years of experience now...LOL
Who knows???
As I wish all of you the best in building and flying... wish me luck...LOL

I shouldn't dwell on the past... and I shouldn't live through my 9yr old...

Oh... what the heck... it's FUN...!!!

not sure where you got the D11-9 motors, but good luck!!!!!!!

it's all about the kids, man!
;)

Originally posted by Steward

Just started my "Cherokee D" clone... man, this makes me thirteen years old again...
...aaahhh, the joy of cloning. I'm with you, I love that nostalgic feeling!

I shouldn't dwell on the past... and I shouldn't live through my 9yr old...
Oh... what the heck... it's FUN...!!!

Doggone right it is! :D

Good luck to ya!

I recently bought a new range box....while clearing out the old one I found two D11-9s...in the bottom....

There kinda really old.... but I believe they're in good shape...
A little hesitant about the 9 seconds... that's why I gonna keep it especially light...

Thanks

those have to have some collector's value...
(did you see the estes goblin K55 on ebay go for over 100 dollars?) it would be a shame to burn 'em up.

plus the possibility of CATO and destroyed rocket...

personally, i'd put the old motors in a display case and fly the rocket with fresh ones.

nice find!

lighter isn't always better. if the rocket is too light, wind friction will slow it down rapidly after motor burnout. if it's too heavy, it won't get moving fast enough to go very high. the key is to balance these so that the rocket has enough mass to coast upward for 9 more seconds.

lacking rocksim, you can use trial-and-error with the altitude simulation programs to find the optimum mass for any particular design.

i have a G40 with a 13-second delay that i'm going to have to design a rocket around. either that or buy a stout chute that can handle high-speed deployment!

Just started my "Cherokee D" clone... man, this makes me thirteen years old again...(I'm 50). Love the balsa nose cone...

Last week, while searching to identify <a href="https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9219">my late-1980's birds</a>, I came across
the Cherokee-D plans. And since I just happened to have some matching
parts in my scratch box, I went ahead a built it. :)

Here's mine, with the Minwax sanding sealer drying....

Good Luck with yours!

Originally posted by Elapid
lighter isn't always better. if the rocket is too light, wind friction will slow it down rapidly after motor burnout. if it's too heavy, it won't get moving fast enough to go very high. the key is to balance these so that the rocket has enough mass to coast upward for 9 more seconds.

The truth behind this statement really had me thinking after my last launch.

I launched three very different rockets from engines out of the same pack (E9-6) and all three flights were different (but otherwise successful), one at a significantly lower altitude, but in all three cases ejection and deployment was at or very soon after apogee. Fairly fascinating in practice.

Originally posted by brianc

Here's mine,

OMG!!! I just realized the fins are upside down!!

That really makes me feel like thirtheen again!

Off to fix'em straight away....

Originally posted by brianc
Last week, while searching to identify <a href="https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9219">my late-1980's birds</a>, I came across
the Cherokee-D plans. And since I just happened to have some matching
parts in my scratch box, I went ahead a built it. :)

Here's mine, with the Minwax sanding sealer drying....

Good Luck with yours!

So that was a Cherokee D you were looking to ID...
I didn't think.. or it didn't look quite tall enough...
Oh well...Good deal...!!!

I had a pack of D11-9's forever and decided that I was going to use one in my Der V-3. The reason being is I was flying in a smaller area than I normally do and I didn't want it to go too far away. Let me say it was an exciting flight as it was plummeting towards the ground and at about 150' feet or so from core sampling, poof! ejection and a safe recovery. Just like I planned.

I still have a couple of those D11-9's, anyone have a Skybolt? Maybe I'll just clone it....

So that was a Cherokee D you were looking to ID...
I didn't think.. or it didn't look quite tall enough...

No, Bruce correctly ID'd the unknown roc as a Viking
(which looked like an 18mm Cherokee to me in the blurry pic).

I came across the Cherokee plans while searching- and one
thing just led to another... ;)

So I don't hijack your thread, are you going to
print your own Cherokee-D decals or get some online?

Back