Here we go! LOC IRIS 3" build.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 365238 View attachment 365239 Well, that moved more quickly than expected.
The finish actually turned okay, as is, but I'm going to let this cure up a couple weeks, give it a super-fine wet-sand, and will probably give it a couple coats of Eze-Cote finishing resin.
So this build is basically finished. I'll be ordering up parts to finish my rail launch pad, and I need to wire up a 12V launch controller.
I plan to use a JL chute release will likely give it a go on a G80 to start before I arrange for L1.

Very nice. Did I miss the paint brand in this build...airbrushed.

Very nice. Did I miss the paint brand in this build...airbrushed.

Thanks!

Actually, I may not have mentioned the paint. I used Vallejo Premium Surface Primer, AutoAir White Sealer, AutoAir Dark Sealer, and AutoAir Metallic Silver.

The primer and white sealer were applied with a discontinued DA500 mini-spray gun, and the black and silver I airbrushed with a Paasche Talon.

So, with all the discussions about doing dual deploy, I started thinking about how to do it with the IRIS.

For L1, I plan on a simple single-use H-something, motor discharge, with a JLCR.

However, thinking forward to L2, after L1 I'd like to possibly use the IRIS for practice for DD.

Could I install a drogue in the lower half deployed on motor ejection and then do an altimeter ejection of the main in the payload bay between the payload and nose cone?

Just thinking about layout and whether this might work. I'm all for building a second kit (really jones'n for another build, lol) but I don't want to rush anything. And flying L1 for awhile with a standard DD setup and perfecting that would make attaining L2 that much easier later on.

Newb questions, I know. But everyone has been super helpful so far!

So, with all the discussions about doing dual deploy, I started thinking about how to do it with the IRIS.

For L1, I plan on a simple single-use H-something, motor discharge, with a JLCR.

However, thinking forward to L2, after L1 I'd like to possibly use the IRIS for practice for DD.

Could I install a drogue in the lower half deployed on motor ejection and then do an altimeter ejection of the main in the payload bay between the payload and nose cone?

Just thinking about layout and whether this might work. I'm all for building a second kit (really jones'n for another build, lol) but I don't want to rush anything. And flying L1 for awhile with a standard DD setup and perfecting that would make attaining L2 that much easier later on.

Newb questions, I know. But everyone has been super helpful so far!

Better newb questions than newb mistakes! :)

Personally, I don't really like the idea of planned motor ejection plus altimeter ejection. If it was my project, I'd put in an apogee ejection charge from the altimeter. You've got the channel, so you may as well use it. To make it less complicated, you could run a single altimeter with the apogee charge and the motor ejection as backup. If the altimeter fails for some reason, you're still pretty sure to land under drogue. That might damage the rocket, but it would likely be reparable and wouldn't be nearly as dangerous as a lawn dart. If I were running redundant altimeters, I'd still leave the motor eject on maximum delay as a belt and suspenders backup.

These are my answers, and reasonable people may disagree.

So, yeah, looks like I'll plan for the whole enchilada, lol. In for a penny, in for a pound, haha.

I'm not going to rush into it. I'm not even running reloads yet, so I think I may do some learning on that end first, as that's a major part of hpr moving forward. Probably still going single-use for L1, but this is a necessary skill to have.

So much learning and research to do! Love it!

One of the last pieces of the puzzle before I purchase engines. Finally got around to installing a retainer. They aren't pretty like the fancy aluminum screw-on holders but it'll function!

Next big build will be the fancy aluminum one! 20181224_155806.jpg

One of the last pieces of the puzzle before I purchase engines. Finally got around to installing a retainer. They aren't pretty like the fancy aluminum screw-on holders but it'll function!

Next big build will be the fancy aluminum one! View attachment 369705

No big deal. I use homemade Kaplow Klips. Often with a brass tube spacer to work on various lengths of MMT overhang. Looks like it'll work.

A couple steps closer to L1 now! I'm registered with NAR and just placed the order for my cert motor. I decided to go with an Aerotech SU H135 and will use motor deploy with the Jolly Logic Chute Release. Pretty exciting stuff! Hopefully, I'll do it in the spring. Not as excited to push towards L2 anymore, as there's just so much to learn, so I'll definitely stay at L1 for a bit and practice and learn more before heading towards L2 for 2020/2021.

Next big build will be the fancy aluminum one!

Fancy? Fancy? You want to see fancy? I'll try and remember to take a picture of the back end of my L1 with its "fancy" retainer :cool:

Also check out Fastback retainers or Giant Leap Slimline retainers. Aeropack is great, there are just different options for different applications

Back