HERC Launch 8/21

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was kinda suspecting eminent failure when we were standing there pre-launch and I was wiggling the fins back and forth 2-3 inches.
The 1/8 balsa just has way too much flex over that span. I think bass wood will reduce flutter and hold together, Joe also suggested white birch I think, I will look into that.

Great pictures Eugene. Your Patriot flight was really cool with the whistleing through the entire boost. Are the PE Patriots known for that or was it just luck? Of course my teakettle whistle didn't work at all except as nose weight on the Alien Earth Lander.

Great pictures!!! Beautiful grass and sky! Beautiful lift off shots! I love the two H180 shots, and the one of the G64 Astrobee D :)

Originally posted by Zippy
Great pictures Eugene. Your Patriot flight was really cool with the whistleing through the entire boost. Are the PE Patriots known for that or was it just luck? Of course my teakettle whistle didn't work at all except as nose weight on the Alien Earth Lander.

Thanks for the compliments guys! I enjoy trying to "snag" photos of rockets in flight. It's kinda of like a nerve-reflex type game.

As for the whistling, I really don't know. I didn't hear it too much although Joe said from out on the other side of the field it was really noticeable. I think it had to do with the 3/8" launch lugs on the side. Those look like they could trap some air and cause a whistle.

Originally posted by OccamMD
I thought you would have all cancelled, it was raining here in lutz by 10:30

Nothing but clear, blue, windless skies up until 12:15 or so when the storm started to roll in. It was great. Rockets flew beyond 1000ft and landed within feet of the pads. We should be in touch with phone numbers so that we can all actively make a decision the morning of or clear any doubt.

Eugene,

Here's a pic of you and the Patriot on the pad.

Interesting angle, I like how it came out though.

let me know if you want my full res one. maybe could be used on the HERC site or something.

Originally posted by n3tjm
What size is that patriot? 4"?

Yep, 4" x 52". It's a 1/4 Sport/Semi scale <a href="https://www.yardsale1.com/Public_Enemy_Rockets/Rocket%20Kits/Patriot.htm">Patriot</a> from Public Enemy Rockets.

Back