HERC Launch 7/17

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdooley

Reaction score
Hey, just wondering if we set launch time and want to confirm location.
Who is going and what are you guys bringing?

I want to light my scratchbuilt rocket off on 4 E9's.

I'll be there i'm not sure what time we still haven't agreed on particular time yet. And for rockets I'm going to blast four f-20's in the 4-29ss,and i'm bringing my new richter recker with one pimp a** paint job and also a couple of smaller ones

Hey Joe, don't forget to bring the Amazon with you. I have a couple of F20-7's for you if you think you might be able to use them :) As far as my own flights I think I'll toss up the Mini BBX on an H128, the AMRAAM2 on a G64 and a brand new Aerobee 300 also on a G64 along with some LPR stuff.

Originally posted by pdooley
Hey, just wondering if we set launch time and want to confirm location.
Who is going and what are you guys bringing?

HA! I just came here looking for a time too. Like minds....

I'll be coming over from O-town with at least my scratch <a href="https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8905">BARnone,</a> a Duece,
a Cherokee-D clone and assorted LPR odds-n-ends.

I doubt the paint on my SHX-15B will be dry. :(

Hopefully my E30's and F21's from GreatLakes arrive in time. If not, is there
a shop nearby that I could pop into on the way?

Woohoo! Roll call! I'll be there.

Here's my lineup:

1. MAXI-Gyroc will be flying on an F40W
2. Upscale 29mm Deuce will debut on dual F20-7Ws (I'll be biting my fingernails on this one!)
3. 3" Bullpup on a G80-7 (Undecided still)
4. 4" Der Red Max - H165R
5. Misc LPR

One uncertainty is the time. We need to make a decision. BrianC is coming from Orlando so we'll need to probably stick to the usual morning 10:30 start time or a tad sooner.

Suggestions?

Also, whoever shows up first should set up somewhere in the middle. Not sure if anyone has checked out <a href="https://www.hercrocketry.org">HERCRocketry.org</a> in a while, but I will be making attempts to update the site. Some misc tidbits are there now.

Originally posted by brianc
HA! I just came here looking for a time too. Like minds....

I'll be coming over from O-town with at least my scratch <a href="https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8905">BARnone,</a> a Duece,
a Cherokee-D clone and assorted LPR odds-n-ends.

I doubt the paint on my SHX-15B will be dry. :(

Hopefully my E30's and F21's from GreatLakes arrive in time. If not, is there
a shop nearby that I could pop into on the way?

What delay E30 or F21 are you looking for? I can pick up an E30 for you from HobbyTown this week if you'd like. I think they had a variety of delays there. It isn't on the way to the field or even nearby. :( The E30s run $9.95 at HobbyTownUSA. I have a pack of F21-4s in my box but I think the delay might be too short for your BARnone. Let me know and I can make sure there is a motor available for you. I need to go there this week anyway for a meaningless visit. Hey, it's been a while!

Also, not sure if you or any of the other members would be interested, but we could do a post meet lunch someplace nearby. (I almost said Chili's but that's at the old site!) Any takers for some Cracker Barrell?

I'll be there!

Here's my lineup:

Estes Thunderhawk #2002: A's n' B's
Flis Praetor: C6's (Gotta Fly it!)
DEUCE! B's n' C's
Executioner: E18-7W 24/40
Scratch AIM-1987 on 2x B's n' C's

Those are the definate flights. I'm looking into getting a G64, G40, or G80 for my Big Red, a 4" diameter rocket with 1x 29mm and 2x 24mm. I might then get a F25 for the 29mm Big Daddy and send it screaming skyward. Both of these would be recovered under STL Rocketry T-cups!

Eugene, might you want to donate one of those F21's to the 29mm Big Daddy? I think it would work quite nice...

Jason

Originally posted by eugenefl
One uncertainty is the time. We need to make a decision. BrianC is coming from Orlando so we'll need to probably stick to the usual morning 10:30 start time or a tad sooner.

I'm OK with as early as 9am. :) I'm in west Orange County, so it's not that far...
Hmmm. What's the weather look like for Saturday am?

What delay E30 or F21 are you looking for? I can pick up an E30 for you from HobbyTown this week if you'd like.

THANX! But not necessary! I had a present from GreatLakes sitting on the
table when I got home tonight. Woot!

Also, not sure if you or any of the other members would be interested, but we could do a post meet lunch someplace nearby. (I almost said Chili's but that's at the old site!) Any takers for some Cracker Barrell?

Sounds good to me!

Originally posted by jetra2

Eugene, might you want to donate one of those F21's to the 29mm Big Daddy? I think it would work quite nice...

Jason

No.

Originally posted by brianc
I'm OK with as early as 9am. :) I'm in west Orange County, so it's not that far...
Hmmm. What's the weather look like for Saturday am?

Ewww....40% chance of rain all week. Nasty. Glad to hear your package arrived! I love Great Lakes. They've always been reliable.

I simply can't wait until Saturday!

Suggestions?

10- 10:30am is good for me..

No.

ROWR! Hisssss....
blackcat.gif

Ok...how about I buy one off of ya?

Jason

Well, as has been the case the last couple times, I'm busy but I really wanted Sean to go out and see Joe's stuff. His kits are just amazing (no offense to anyone else, but can anyone paint like him!?). I've got to finish the hardware/programming on a NAVY E2C Radar Humidity controller I designed for a design test and review next week.

If you guys get together could you maybe go over the specs for our launcher? I'd rather be working on that and could hopefully get it built in a couple of months. Just tell me your wish list (dream and then we'll wittle it down) and I'll commit to a timeframe. If parts are less than a few hundred bucks I'll pick them up. I'll just paint my business name on it (in small letters next to HERC) and write it off as advertising if that's OK.

I don't have any new information on those plots of land from before.

I've been trying to get these guys together for an official meeting to organize the club for some time now...tsk tsk. ;)

By-laws are written up...we just need to approve them and fill out the paperwork and all that...:eek:

Jason

Originally posted by jetra2
I've been trying to get these guys together for an official meeting to organize the club for some time now...tsk tsk. ;)

By-laws are written up...we just need to approve them and fill out the paperwork and all that...:eek:

Jason

Agreed. BUT, we still have one tiny detail to accomplish before anything else is done - SECURING A FIELD! Sure, where we are flying is great, but it's still not ours and technically we haven't gotten the official "OK" from the land owner. Since day 1 we've all been wanting a field of our own and someone's official "OK" to fly and operate regularly. Until that's settled, we don't officially have a club. I just hope Saturday goes well.

A meeting would be nice but at this point not totally necessary.

I'll be there bright and hopefully early!

Don't know what or if I will be flying much.

May concentrate on the padcam video and other pics.

Originally posted by OccamMD
well @ 5:00 AM its looking nasty, hope it clears up.

It's still not looking good @ 8:45 AM. There's a steady rain where I am.

Note to BrianC: I hope you're checking the forum this morning! We might call it off early. :(

I need to know if it's go or no go in less than 15 minutes becouse it takes me over an hour to get there and I leave at 9 usually.
I say screw the weather and make an attempt anyway.

Mike, I think it's a NO-GO. As is I am currently not going to be attending. Jason already cancelled and I am on the phone with Russell. We're calling it now. I haven't even packed the truck yet. Being that you do have such a long drive, I certainly wouldn't encourage that you come over this way.

I came, I launched, I conquered.

1. Estes Freaky Flyer, A10-3
My first A motor launch. Went straight up, came allmost straight down.
2. Estes Patriot Missile, C6-7
Typical flight for this rocket.
3. Estes Black Brant II, C11-5
Typical long walk for recovery.
4. PML AMRAAM2, G64-10
Very early ejection while still under power. Zippered the tube but repairable.
5. Scratch Aerobee 300, G64-7
Nice flight, very very long walk for recovery.
6. PML MiniBBX, H128-M
Nice flight, very very very long walk for recovery.

Well folks, the skies of Florida left us a patch or "hole" in the weather to allow us to fly rockets today. I hadn't planned on going due to the poor weather outside my window. At about noon I got a call from "pdooley" (Pat) letting me know that the weather was clear and that rocketeers Zippy, JoeM (aka letsflyhigh) and BrianC from Orlando were at the field. I packed the truck despite being in disbelief the whole way.

I'm glad I went out. I had a few great flights of my own.

1. Estes BT80 OOP V-2: C11-3, This motor will make this rocket a GREAT park flyer. Boost was low to about 250-300ft.
2. Scratch upscale 3" dia. Estes Bullpup: G80-?, the delay was supposed to be 7 seconds. I got the zero-delay motor resulting in the shockcord mount being ripped away from the inside of the body. The rocket recovered horizontally and landed safely. The nosecone drifted on an STL T-Cup far in the field. All was recovered.
3. Upscale 29mm FlisKits Deuces Wild: (2) F20-7W, Great boost, spinner of a flight due to warped ply fins. A nice double-helix smoke trail was visible in the sky.
4. Upscale 29mm powered MAXI-Gyroc: F40-4W RMS, SLOW boost, weathercocked into the wind, safe spinning Gyroc recovery.
5. Upscale Der Red Max: H165R RMS, FAST punch off the pad, LONG drift, deployment right at apogee, GREAT recovery under an STL T-Cup chute.

Attached is an ignition picture of the MAXI-Gyroc.

Here's a liftoff shot of the 29mm powered upscale Deuces Wild. Dual F20s made this rocket go!

Back