HERC 2/21 Tampa Meet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Greetings all...this past Saturday local Tampa (TRF) rocketeers gathered for a GREAT day of flying under the Florida sun. We welcome our latest participant PDooley (Pat) of TRF for joining us. We hope he'll be back next month.

The weather was in the mid-80s with an off/on breeze ranging from 4-12mph. As the day progressed the wind worsened. By then we were all pretty much done flying.

Notable flights:

1. Pat flew his tiny CHAD staged Mosquito on an A10 (to A3?)...which was later found!
2. Joe M. put up his 4-29SS on 4-E9's and dual G40-10s yet again. What's more amazing is that on his first attempt on dual G40s it only went up on ONE G40 yet managed to fly and recover just fine. (While out chasing his rocket I had a run-in with a 4.5ft alligator!!! :eek: )
3. Although not a flight, Joe had a CATO on the pad which resulted in a blue fire. The F50-7T blew its nozzle just as it came to pressure and scorched Michael Hoy's pad. We've never seen a composite CATO before! It was Joe's first fly on his BEAUTIFUL LOC Forte. Damage was limited to the 38/29 MMT adapter.
4. ChrisVG put up his Comanche 3 FULLY stacked! D12/C6/C6-7. All stages were recovered!
5. Michael Hoy had some FANTASTIC flights - Estes Saturn V on an E30, 3" scratch build on a G64W RMS (chute failed to deploy, breakapart recovery, NO DAMAGE!!!), and mini-BBX on a G75.
6. My gap-staged Sport Scale Terrier/Sandhawk flew great on a C11/A8 combo. I also flew my 2.6x upscale Bullpup on a G64W RMS.

To start the photos of the weekend, here's Joe's 4-29SS boosting on 4 E9s. All 4 lit and gave it a nice low and slow flight.

Here's my Mustang on its first flight. I put it up on an E16-4W RMS. I think this rocket was MADE for this motor!

Here's a 3" scratchbuild I made a LONG time ago. It's boosting nicely under a G35. Thanks for the nice frame by frame pics Chris!

My now favorite rocket, the 2.6X upscale Bullpup, lifts off under G64-7W RMS power. (...and I thought the G40 was perfect for this rocket!)

I forgot the name of this awesome scratchbuild, but it belongs to Michael Hoy (Zippy) and it boosted on a G64 way up there. The chute failed to deploy properly, but due to some sturdy construction it landed horizontally under breakapart separation with no damage! Lucky dog!

Michael Hoy's Saturn V flew on an E30 for its first flight. The boost looked great, but at about 600ft or so it went squirelly and did and end over end somersault. We all held our breath as his beautiful Sat V came within 50ft of bashing into the ground. Luckily (yet again), the chutes deployed and saved this magnificent rocket from destruction.

Pat brought his Super Big Bertha out and boosted it on an E9. This flight actually makes me want to buy this rocket. Yet another great rocket and motor combo.

This was Michael Hoy's 2nd attempt at a dual deployment flight with his mini-BBX. Although the boost was great on a G75, I don't think the dual deployment worked properly. The rocket recovered safely under its main and drogue chutes.

Here's Joe's awesome AT Mirage on a G40. I got to see this flight from waaaay out in the field. Pretty spectacular to see a rocket lift off while at a distance.

Great pics eugenefl! Man, 80 degrees...must be nice! We went out yesterday and threw up a few. It was a balmy 22 degrees! ;)

And finally, here's Joe's 4-29SS boosting on dual G40s. Joe and I chased it down for what seemed like forever. It managed to float over a 4 lane highway and land on the shoulder just before a swampy forest. Joe is quite fortunate to not have landed it in the road nor in a non-recoverable area. I keep tellin' this guy that's he's nuts for attempting it, but the guy just can't get enough of his composite power....well, neither can we! :D

BTW, while I was out chasing his rocket, I ran alonside a lake's shore (same lake I lost my upscale Deuce and camera pod) and nearly ran RIGHT into an alligator!!! The gator was about 4.5ft long and was out sunning. I had my eyes on the rocket which I feared was going to land in the middle of the highway. Well, the gator alerted me by hissing loudly and heading for the water. That was quite the encounter. Joe came up behind and caught up with me and was just laughing his head off because he saw exactly what had happened. Sheesh....

Phil has cow phobia. Well, I can honestly say that this is my 2nd close encounter with a gator while doing rocketry. :eek:

Somehow I think an alligator phobia is a little easier to explain than a cow phobia;)

Great report as usuall Eugene. Great pictures to, are those Jason's work? Geez I'm sorry I missed the gator encounter. :eek:
There's nothing like enjoying the native wildlife while out on recovery.

Originally posted by Zippy
Great report as usuall Eugene. Great pictures to, are those Jason's work? Geez I'm sorry I missed the gator encounter. :eek:
There's nothing like enjoying the native wildlife while out on recovery.

Some are Jason's and some are Chris's. It's nice to have spectators with cameras!

Yeah it is. I wouldn't have pictures of any of my flights if others weren't taking them. Too bad no one got a shot of the gator. :(

Zippy,

Do you mean a shot of the gator or a shot at the gator?
Maybe next month for the BBQ?

Originally posted by eugenefl
And finally, here's Joe's 4-29SS boosting on dual G40s. Joe and I chased it down for what seemed like forever.... I keep tellin' this guy that's he's nuts for attempting it, but the guy just can't get enough of his composite power....well, neither can we! :D

2 G40's?!... 2 G40's?!... 2 G40's?!..... :eek:

What where you guys thinking?! There is room for four of them! :D

Actually there is a huge field directly across BB Downs from our present field, if we are lucky enough to miss BB Downs, then we would have plenty of room. With good winds of course.

OccamMD,

Do you mean a shot of the gator or a shot at the gator?
Maybe next month for the BBQ?

Ahhhh, fresh BBQ'd gator tail. A gun might draw unwanted attention though, so you hold it down and I'll cut off it's tail. :D

Eugene, thanx for finally starting this thread. ;)

My reported flights were as follows.

Estese Paveway III on a B6-4

Scratch "Red Rocket" on a C11-(I think)3

Only two flights for me on the day. busy getting pad cam video.

and here is a frame from Joe's 4-29ss on 4 E-9's

Kind of a neat shot where there is no smoke yet and the motor flames have a slight plasma look to them.

here's a frame from the video of eugene's mustang first flight at max motor flame.

it's neat seeing the tin wooble around after a launch

Originally posted by lets fly high
don't tempt me

AHHH!!!!!! JOE!!!!!!!!! It's CRAZY JOE! Dude, how long did it take you to type out "don't tempt me"? :D :D :D Glad you hopped onto TRF. This place rocks!

Doug, please don't...'cause he will!

Originally posted by eugenefl
AHHH!!!!!! JOE!!!!!!!!! It's CRAZY JOE! Dude, how long did it take you to type out "don't tempt me"? :D :D :D Glad you hopped onto TRF. This place rocks!

Doug, please don't...'cause he will!
I'm thinking 2 g-80's

Originally posted by lets fly high
don't tempt me

Ok, I won't.

[Tempt]
I know my record is safe....
28.gif

AS.jpg

7 G motors :D

https://n3tjm.crosswinds.net/NSL/7_G35_American_Spirit.mpg

[End Tempt]

I lied :D

Joe,

Nice to see you online! I just wanted to let everyone know that your rockets are awesome!!!! The paint jobs are superb!!!! And the flights are incredible. We are very glad you found us in that field a couple of months ago!!! :D

Chris

AWESOME report, as usual Eugene! I thought that some of you might be interested in the remnants of the motor that CATO'd on the pad. It figures that my wife had just come by to say hello when we had our first pad fire! Being the awesome lady that she is, it didn't phase her one bit!!! :D

Back