Herbicide

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryg

Reaction score
After several years of near drought conditions the monsoon this year has saturated the desert and the plant growth has been phenomenal.
When these dry out launches will become difficult due to fire considerations. Any recommendations for a herbicide to clear the area around the pads of weeds for a reasonable amount of time?

After several years of near drought conditions the monsoon this year has saturated the desert and the plant growth has been phenomenal.
When these dry out launches will become difficult due to fire considerations. Any recommendations for a herbicide to clear the area around the pads of weeds for a reasonable amount of time?

Buy a decent weed Wacker / Trimmer . You can clear a 20 foot circle In minutes.

Do-It-Yourself Pest Control, in Tucson, has some killer herbicide that will wipe out all plant life for about a year. I forget what it's called.

An all-plant herbicide that is quite effective but NOT recommended for this purpose: sodium chlorate (or potassium chlorate). The chlorate ion is very similar in properties to nitrate ion, but chlorate doesn't nourish. It might also leave the dead vegetation rather susceptible to flame... It is illegal to use chlorate as weed killer in some countries.

Roundup, then go back when it's all dead and clear it out with a wheedwacker. PS, don't worry about those lawyer ads you see on TV... if you're not exposed to the stuff every day for years and years there is zero chance you'll get cancer from it. APCP fumes are probably a whole lot worse...

I think you would do better to just weed whack it and rake the area. If the weeds have already grown, killing them now won’t do any good. You might do better to spread a pre-emergent before the rains come in the future, although I would probably still lean toward weed whacking.

How much weed growth do you have, and does it affect the whole launch field? In California we have to pause launches for our dry seasons because the entire fields are susceptible to fire. Clearing the pad area is obviously important, but if the rest of the field has dry vegetation, then just clearing the pad area does not make it safe.

Horticultural Vinegar, 30%, 45% or more. Amazon carries it. I've been using it recently and it works well on most weeds. Add an ounce or two of liquid soap to help it stick. Some online recipes call for adding salt but adding too much salt to an area could keep anything from growing back. Be careful when using it because it can irritate skin and will burn your nostrils and eyes.

Sparky O.
100+ days since the last rain.
Old Rainbow Valley, AZ site.
was cleared back 50’ and rakes, shovels and fire extinguishers placed just outside picture.

A4EA5E8C-58C7-401C-B407-FA5C5CCBE1DE.jpeg

If it's just grass and weeds, Roundup with diuron . If woody or brush control is needed, Garlon 3A and with Hyvar XL or possibly
Spike, but only if the land owner gives permission.

Last edited:
Sparky N2220DM.....thank goodness for sod. For most plants Roundup kills the plant and Casoron keeps new ones from growing for a while, obviuosly landowner permission required.

Attachments

• 241553999_6597803896897201_1985655317271695540_n.jpg
    241553999_6597803896897201_1985655317271695540_n.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 40
I am familiar with this field and the weeds in question have grown over 4ft-5ft tall in some areas (a common landing zone) and are thick desert vegetation. This has been a topic in our board meetings since the overgrowth started. We have very little rocks in the field but lots of gopher and snake holes. I "think" we are having the city help in this case as it is their land to maintain to some degree. We have considered trying to get local fire involved with a controlled burn (kill the seeds!) but I think it is difficult to arrange this type of event. This has been one of the most challenging items on our clubs list of things to do. Recently it sounds as though we will be able to use one of the city tractors to drag the large field and a rideable mower that are stored nearby.

How do other clubs with field condition issues approach this type of challenge?

This is the procedure I helped with in my youth in the fields I flew in. I even made a buck an hour for it.
R.d9b1c668c00d06a90407391d636f6b70

maxresdefault.jpg

FMNV09P01_12.jpg

I'm sure there are more modern ways, but this brings back fond memories!

An all-plant herbicide that is quite effective but NOT recommended for this purpose: sodium chlorate (or potassium chlorate). The chlorate ion is very similar in properties to nitrate ion, but chlorate doesn't nourish. It might also leave the dead vegetation rather susceptible to flame... It is illegal to use chlorate as weed killer in some countries.
It’s also illegal to buy chlorate in some countries due to its other properties. Great with sugar but does self detonate if you’ve got enough and go over a speed bump. But that’s only going to clear 4 m either side and give you a lot of paperwork but you could use whats left of the windscreen wipers ar adjustable angle launch rails.

seriously though, using a herbicide in a publicly visible area is in my opinion a really bad publicity move.
Weed whackers are the way to go and a rake to remove the debris.

Last edited:
Back