hemispherical vs. single piece

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite 29mm reload (hobby line case)?

• E16W ?

• E23T ?

• F22 J

• F40W ?

• F52T ?

• G33FJ ?

• G64W ?

• G71R ?

• I don't fly the 29mm hobby line reloads (but I should)!

• E16W ?

• E23T ?

• F22 J

• F40W ?

• F52T ?

• G33FJ ?

• G64W ?

• G71R ?

• I don't fly the 29mm hobby line reloads (but I should)!

Results are only viewable after voting.

rocketsonly

Reaction score
Hello. If you all had a choice between a 24" hemispherical chute and a 30" single piece chute, which one would you choose? Both would offer a somewhat similar descent rate.
Thanks.

Hemispherical chutes look nicer in the sky and you can easily add multiple colours. The only problem is I make hemispherical and they take a whole lot longer to make!

I'll say that it's a cost issue for me. If both offer similiar performance but one is more costly than the other, I'm probably going to go with the cheaper one.

Something tells me that I'm not alone in this mindset...

Originally posted by rocketsonly
Hello. If you all had a choice between a 24" hemispherical chute and a 30" single piece chute, which one would you choose? Both would offer a somewhat similar descent rate.
Thanks.

For a given load/descent rate, I look for (1) packability and (2) durability.The characteristics that are due to shape are fairly irrelevant to me. The only chutes I've ever chosen for shape were X-chutes -- least drift.

Actrually your 24" hemi is closer to a 36" flat chute with 904 sqauare inches of surface area. I make all my Rip stop and Plastic hemispherical chutes. They make recovery much less fin stressing eliminating the flat chute wobble.

Yeah, Micro, I've noticed that on the one hemi chute I have, the rocket doesn't seem to spin around the chute a lot, it just hangs below it - very, very cool to watch!

Jason

Originally posted by Micromister
Actrually your 24" hemi is closer to a 36" flat chute with 904 sqauare inches of surface area. I make all my Rip stop and Plastic hemispherical chutes. They make recovery much less fin stressing eliminating the flat chute wobble.

I used the "Jack Anderson's Descent Rate Calculator" here:
https://www.rocketreviews.com/tool_descent_rate.shtml

Thanks for all the tips.

Latest posts

Back