Help!!!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skye

Reaction score
Can somebody with rocksim work up a estes executioner with a
four cluster 24mm motor mount.
Can you tell me what all I would have to do to the rocket to make it stable and fly good.

Thanks
Tom

I put 2oz of nose weight in mine and it kicked butt on 4 D-12's

I would highly recomend to go to a ripstop nylon chute and throw that plastic thing away

Somebody check to see if I did this right.

I only simmed it for a 4 E9-6 cluster.

It says it gets to 1,731' but I had to add 4 oz to the nose to get it stable.

this was posted in the "Mid Power" forum and 4 E9's would exceed the propellant limit for a Model Rocket, making it a High Power Rocket (requiring FAA Waiver, etc. to fly).

just thought I should remind folks....

Originally posted by sandman

shread, when you say that do you mean you can only fly it at club events etc. or you cant fly it at all?

it means that it will weigh over 1lb and have over 4.4oz of propellent at take off, requiring a FAA waiver, not only that but you'd have to be certified to fly that in any kind of TRA or NAR sponsored event. oh, theres something else too about total impulse exceeded, but i forget. you can look it all up at www.nar.org
the FAA waiver isnt too hard to get, you just have to get it way in advance, like a month or two. but dont plan on having an RSO let you launch that bird without a lvl 1 cert. actually, i dont think you could use that for a lvl 1 cert either, i think it needs to be an H or I motor.

r1dermon said:

requiring a FAA waiver, not only that but you'd have to be certified to fly that in any kind of TRA or NAR sponsored event.

FAA Waiver quite possibly yes, I believe this is the case.

TRA or NAR certified...No! These orgs only cert High Power, and 4 of those little Estes E9's are barely a G motor...

get a waiver and notify the FAA and fly away...

Personally I would put a 29mm mount in it and fly it on E, F and G reloadables. They are much cheaper as 4 E9's would run close to $20 and a G64 runs $12...but thats me.

i thought anything over 120N was classified as an H? 4 E30's areover 120N.
regardless, you'd definately need a waiver. and you'd definately be paying 21-22 dollars for the flight. as 3 E's are 16.50. you can get a G80 for around 17 dollars, depending where you shop.

so does this also mean you can fly a 5D 12-3 cluster as long as your at an event or club with an FAA waiver?

I don't believe youneed a waiver.

A waiver is for a specific maximum altitude and has nothing to do with the models weight.

Simmed with 4 Estes E motors at 119.9 NS requires...I believe...a notification...NOT awaiver.

Anybody know better?

a cert requires you to fly atleast an H motor but that doesn't mean that only anything over an H is considered high power.

if the total propelant mass exceeds 113 grms it would require a faa notification regardless of what the total impulse is,
if the propellant mass exceeds 125 grms than an faa waiver and a high power cert would be required.

ofcourse if the rocket weighs more than 1 lb(with motor) faa notification is required

4) e9's have a total propellant mass of 143.2 grms

Originally posted by sandman

Sandman,

I checked the file; why did you specify aircraft plywood for the fins, and through the wall fins? I don't think the three TTW fins are simulated correctly on the Quad cluster. Why did you use 9 inch long motor tubes? I don't see the need for any added nose weight if you use basswood fins, 3.75 inch long motor tubes and don't use through the wall fin tabs. See the attached RockSim version 7 file.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

I used aircraft plywood 'cause I like 1/8" ply for centering rings with 4 E or D motors.
Didn't see anything else.

The Executioner comers with thru the wall plywood fins.

The Executioner comes with a long motor tube so I just figured an 18" standard BT-50 cut in half.

I simmed it with a three motor cluster and it doesn't need nose weight and the through the wall fins will work fine.

But it only goes to 1,350'. And it doesn't need nose weights~~~OK it's marginally stable.

Actually just move the parachute up changes the CG a lot!

Then it's stable.

If you just go with a three engine cluster instead of four you will solve a LOT of waiver and notification issues and the fins will fit through the wall!

One more engine only gives you another 400'.

Back