Help with Windows Explorer!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
My laptop spent most of the last 24 hours generating a PDF from a large Adobe Pagemaker file. The process worked but there are some strange things going on.

1. The process always takes a long time but this time took much more time than usual.
2. The process generated over 10,000 tmp files in the directory where the original pmd was located. It has never done this before
3. Each of the tmp shows to have 0 bytes
4. when I try to delete the tmp files, I get a message that the file cannot be located. This is true when I try all, some or just one of them.

FWIW, the laptop was in the shop recently for virus treatment of root virus. When I got the system back, it was mostly fine but there are some strange things like Photoshop completely disappeared and had to be reloaded. Also, much of "my documents" was not available when the laptop was not connected to the network. It is supposed to mirror "my documents" and its sub-directories to the laptop disk.

I have no idea what is going on.

Do those files just exist and not do any harm to anything else? If so, then I suggest just leaving it. If they take up space or slow your computer down, take it back to the shop.

:pc:

As far as I can tell, they do no harm. Finding the file you want in the midst of 10k+ random file names, though, is not an enjoyable activity.

Can you delete and then remake the directory? Are the files attributes set to hidden, read only, or system?

Last edited:
Back