The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Red Rocketeer

Reaction score
Hello,

I've recently gotten back into this hobby after starting when I as in Junior High back in the early 70's then taking a break, going to college, getting married and having kids. Got back into it in the mid 90's and then took another long break until just recently when I rediscovered my stash of rockets. Most were in pretty bad shape and I'm acquiring the parts to make repairs on a number of old favorites. However, I found one of particular interest. I found my old Space Shuttle 1284 that I bought when it first came out. I apparently got the SRB/Central Fuel Tank pretty much done and I remember getting to the Orbiter and stopping because I wasn't sure how to handle the vacuform parts. So I boxed it up and went to school. I don't know how it survived.

After rediscovering it, I found that I had most of the parts except for a handful of pretty important pieces. Here is a list of the missing:

1) The ELEVON HORN
2) The PREPRINTED ELEVON HINGE SHEET
3) 2 OMS NOZZLES (they're the small rockets to either side of the orbiter's vertical stabilizer.)
4) 4 fin unit centering rings type CR-8 (they fit over the fin unit body tube ST-76)

Okay, so I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has these parts? If so, could I get some measurments from you? I think some I could 3D print with some measurements. Here's what I need help with...

1) The measurments for the ELEVON HORN. In particular the Length, width and thickenss along with the measurement from the top of the horn for the hole that's used for the elastic string. And any other measurements you think needed.

2) The diameter of one of the OMS nozzles along with the length of the nozzle bell. Also, the diameter of the nozzle shoulder and it's length. Then the length of the pin area that attaches to nozzle shoulder to the engine shroud.

3) A scan of the Preprinted Elevon Hinge Sheet that I could print.

4) A part source for the CR-8 centerring rings.

If there's a source for any of this information that I haven't found, maybe you could supply the link. Thanks in advance for the help!

Plans and templates can be found here:
https://www.oldrocketplans.com/estes/est1284/est1284.htm
The booster tubes are a specialty size (bt-46), so I don't think you can buy the fin centering rings off the shelf. Easy enough to make from cardboard OR use several wraps of masking tape to friction fit your fin tube to the booster tubes.
The plastic parts have files listed for 3D printing at Thingiverse:https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2854187
If you don't have access to a 3D printer you can buy those parts printed from three different vendors.
I don't see the OMS nozzles listed. Maybe you can sub cardstock nozzles?
Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Plans and templates can be found here:
https://www.oldrocketplans.com/estes/est1284/est1284.htm
The booster tubes are a specialty size (bt-46), so I don't think you can buy the fin centering rings off the shelf. Easy enough to make from cardboard OR use several wraps of masking tape to friction fit your fin tube to the booster tubes.
The plastic parts have files listed for 3D printing at Thingiverse:https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2854187
If you don't have access to a 3D printer you can buy those parts printed from three different vendors.
I don't see the OMS nozzles listed. Maybe you can sub cardstock nozzles?
Hope this helps!
Thanks! That is helpful. The plastic parts files do include the elevon horn so that's good. I was afraid that those centering rings were going to be an issue so I will probably use the masking tape idea.

You've knocked out items 1 and 4 for me. Anyone have any help on the OMS nozzles in item 2 and the scan of the Elevon Hinge Sheet in item 3? It wasn't included in the rocket plans.

Unbuilt kit. Missing an engine nozzle, iirc. Plastic is a little yellowed from storage.

Let me go look up what I spent on it and I’ll message you.

If you still need some measurements, I have an open bag kit I can take measurements from, when I get back from a business trip.

If you still need some measurements, I have an open bag kit I can take measurements from, when I get back from a business trip.
Yeah, that would be great. I still need measurements for the OMS engine nozzles. If I have those I think I can replicate a set for 3D printing. Thanks.

Hi, still looking for some basic measurements for the two small OMS engine nozzles. Anyone got a model sitting on a shelf or an open unbuilt kit they can take some measurements off of? Also thanks everyone for all the help with the other items I needed.

Well, made my files for printing and sent them off to Shapeways. I got them back today and they look pretty darned good. Thanks for the help everyone. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics of the finished project some time in 2020. Here's a pic of the OMS nozzles and the elevon horn.

IMG-5308.jpg

Back