help with Quest kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmambo

Reaction score
:confused:

My local Hobby Lobby put a bunch of Quest models on clearance, so I bought a bunch for bashing. I've never built Quest before and I am confused about how the shock cord is attached.

Quest uses two shock cords - one elastic, and one kevlar. The instructions say to tie the kevlar cord to the motor mount, and then to take the free end of the kevlar and tie it to the elastic cord. The instructions then say to tie "the shock cord" (unspecified as to which) to the nose cone. I assume it means to tie the free end of the elastic cord. If this is the case, that makes for a very long total cord length - two feet in the case of the "Pipsqueak", a tiny, minimum diameter streamer rocket similar to the Estes "Viking".

Am I interpereting the instructions correctly?

Also - the streamer is not physically connected to the cord, but rather the cord threads through a hole in a "gripper" tab on the streamer. It seems that could be problematic. Maybe.

yes, you tie the elastic end of the cord to the nose cone. It does look like a lot of shock cord, but remember, the kevlar portion runs the length of the body tube interior.

Your correct, the Kevlar/elastic overhand knot is correct as is tying the loose end of the elastic to the nosecone. I'm sure you have had the front end of your ESTES models bashed in by the nosecone snapping back into the body tube, casued by TO SHORT shock cords. Quest has made the leap many of us have been building in for years. Kevlar anchors tied directly to the motor mounts with replaceable elastic on the nose end. I usually thorw the round elastic cord Quest provides away, replacing it with a minimum of 24" to 30" long piece of 1/8" elastic cord from the fabric shop. This extra lenght prevent the nose from snaping back, damageing the body tube and paint job. LONGER is always better with shock cords:)

I just finished the Pipsqueak and while I agree that the shock cord assembly looks overly long for this rocket, I wish they would use the same proportions for ALL of the kits. I kinda laughed when I assembled it, but I ain't complaining!

Thanks everyone. Where was this forum when I was first bashing rockets years ago? Probably waiting for Al Gore to create the internet.

On another Pipsqueak subject, has anyone cut off (or not built in) that long honking engine clip sticking out the rear? Surely friction fit should suffice.

I'm going back to Hobby Lobby and buy a few more. :D

pipsqueak is awesome on a C6-7. the extra length of shock cord doesn't hurt anything, in fact it is great because the ejection charge in 18mm motors is way too much for that little rocket.

paint it a bright color and good luck getting it back!

Back