Help with Featherweight GPS Ground Station

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkontzias

Reaction score
I'm trying to read data from the Featherweight GPS Ground station with USB Serial. I've tried using RealTerm and puTTY as the user manual mentioned, but I'm sort of new to this so I don't know exactly where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated : )

For RealTerm, I highly recommend downloading version 3.01.44 rather than version 2. It says it's in beta, but it works much better and is quite stable. Plug in the USB and you should see on the bottom which port was plugged in. Then go to the port tab and click the open button. Change the speed to 115200 bps but the other defaults are fine.

Thanks.
-Adrian

Would you be able to make a video detailing this process. I am having a lot of difficulty. How do you know if your ports are working properly? What is realterm does not work, how can putty be used? Could you use the Arduino IDE to read the serial data?
1666480471115.png

One thing to note is that the version 1 ground stations internally are comprised of a GPS tracker and a power adapter, and the USB micro port is used only for battery charging. The V2 ground stations use a single board that incorporates a USB serial chip to provide serial data in/out through the USB micro port.

I sent you an email about this on featherweights contact page. It was only after 7 hours of trying to figure out why I was unable to get serial output that I realized that we had been sent the V1 GS. Here is the GS we received.
1666722314966.png
I checked the manual and from what I can tell this is the v1 GS. Would we be able to get this exchanged for the V2?

I sent you an email about this on featherweights contact page. It was only after 7 hours of trying to figure out why I was unable to get serial output that I realized that we had been sent the V1 GS. Here is the GS we received.
View attachment 543282
I checked the manual and from what I can tell this is the v1 GS. Would we be able to get this exchanged for the V2?
Yes, we will exchange it. Sorry about the wasted time. The GS we are shipping out now are all the V2 version.

Back