help with copperheads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r1dermon

Reaction score
well, i recently purchased my first true mpr kit, the LOC aura, since i plan on using composited with this rocket, i was wondering, how do the clips go onto the igniter? im thinking that masking tape is applied to each side of the igniter, and then the clip is placed over each piece of tape...im not sure though, and i dont want to look like an *** the day of the launch. thanks:)

That will work. The Quest igniters are the same type and they come with a fold-over piece of tape that leaves an un-insulated spot on each side. I have had even less luck with these than I have with the larger copperheads.

A slightly easier method is to put the non pyrogen-coated end over a match flame for a second or two until the ends split. You can then split the ends further with your fingers. You then hook it up like a regular igniter, no tape needed.

I usually found I have tape at a launch, but not matches. However splitting the layers would be a lot better IMO.

Originally posted by RocketboyG80
A slightly easier method is to put the non pyrogen-coated end over a match flame for a second or two until the ends split. You can then split the ends further with your fingers. You then hook it up like a regular igniter, no tape needed.

Ditto!

I've had trouble at times with masking tape, it seems some of the current still makes it's way through to ground it out. Whay I normally do is take the plastic tube the igniter often comes in, cut it an inch long, slice it longitunially and put a hole in the middle. What I end up with is a plastic square near one inch with a hole in the middle......the ignitor is put directly through the hole then when the clips are installed each side can be blocked from the current by the plastic.

Since smokers are a dying breed there are often none of them with matches at a launch. ;-)

thanks for the suggestions, hopefully i can pull this off without a hitch:D

I've never had trouble with masking tape at club launches... for my personal use, I have an AeroTech ingnitor clip that works very well...

Alternatively, I've also seen people wrap masking tape around the clips (less likely to come off) & clip them so that the metal only touches on one side... Very useful when using a lot of Copperheads consecutively!

So many different ways to accomplish the same task... :D

HTH,

But I really prefer stashing the copperheads in my range box and using home dipped igniters.

I use a BIC Lighter... And a 12V relay launch system.

Works fine!

Masking tape works for me, it's worked 3 out of 4 times when using copperheads, just with some frustration. When I can't get the tape to stick and I'm at a launch with vendors, I go to teh vendors and buy a good igniter.

I've had a really good success rate with Copperheads so far. I usually put 2-3 wraps of masking tape around one side of each alligator clip and then clip them so the tape is on opposite sides of the ignitor. I've had 100% success rate this summer on around a dozen flights or so.

Loopy

So YOU'RE the guy leaving those clips all gunked up with tape! ;)
I prefer electrical tape to masking tape; it is, after all, designed to resist current.
I've only seen a picture, but the new Quest "Q2" igniters seem to be like Tiger Tails (which are mini-Copperheads) with the leads split, the way they would be via the match-melt method.
I, too, have had good success with Copperheads. Their bad rep comes largely via operator error.

Back