Help with CG vs. CP on a Delta II

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToneDeafJunior

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello All,
I have a thread posted in Low Powered Rocketry regarding a scratch build Delta II rocket. Most of my builds are scratch semi (or best I can do) with nothing greater in diameter than 66mm but mostly 56mm and no motor greater than a Estes E12. My question for you scratch builders is below and #2, should I be posting scratch builds for LPR in this category? I figured this category was for much more experienced mid and high powered rocketry builders. Please let me know and thank you in advance. Hopefully someone can help with my question below.

The GEM's are installed. Now to work on the fins. I ran the model through OpenRocket without the GEM's of course and tried to maximize the distance between the CP and CG with fin design. You can see from the picture the distance is only 9.8 cm between the two. You can also see the fin design. I'm using acrylic sheets and will cut them to size on the table saw. I don't know if the drag of the GEM's will push the CP forward or back. I'd like to make the rocket as stable as possible, but, I believe it's impossible to do in OR with GEM's, boosters, etc. Anyone know the answer as to forward or back for the CP?

Attachments

• 01 Delta II.jpg
    01 Delta II.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 02 Delta II.jpg
    02 Delta II.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 06 Delta II.jpg
    06 Delta II.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 08 Delta II.jpg
    08 Delta II.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 05 Delta II.jpg
    05 Delta II.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 09 Delta II.jpg
    09 Delta II.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 11.5 Delta II.jpg
    11.5 Delta II.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 14 Delta II.jpg
    14 Delta II.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 16 Delta II.jpg
    16 Delta II.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 18 Delta II.jpg
    18 Delta II.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I flew a 4" dia Delta II about 9 years ago with no fins. For that, the CG needs be about 1/2 way up the rocket.

You'll see more discussion here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/delta-ii.11592/

With only 4 boosters attached, you'll need some plastic fins. My guess is make the root and span about 1.5 times the body diameter. The tip about 1x the body diameter. Sweep leading edge only.

Added a significant amount of weight in the cone and made larger fins as suggested. Thank you for the help.

Attachments

• 22 Delta II.jpg
    22 Delta II.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 24 Delta II.jpg
    24 Delta II.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 59
"Perfect" ... I agree 100%. Flies well and looks good. Delta's are always challenging to scale and fly.

Back